Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boston - Is it worth going?

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Just returned today, three days is plenty if you are willing to have hectic days - day flight in late night flight out....

We used the hop on hop off guide buses which are good to get around and get some details, we stayed at the omni parker Hotel which is a fantastic location, rooms are a tad small but the beds are amazing and you wont really spend much time in the room unless you have had a few too many the night before...... not pointing any fingers.....

I had been before but i had forgotten just how un American of a city it is, only two Mcdonalds! people are more willing to help than other major American cities.

For me it pisses all over New York which is the most over rated city in the world in my view, shopping is as good if not better because they dont charge new York prices.

Sam Adams tour is a must as its free and you get free beer, so is the Mohs guided tour.

I would say Phili is still my favourite city But Boston is a close second.

Having had some great info from Man of Harveys we are looking at the Omni Parker also. Good free beer pointer also, its a must!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Having had some great info from Man of Harveys we are looking at the Omni Parker also. Good free beer pointer also, its a must!

If ale is your thing be sure to check out The Sunset Grill and Tap, 130 Brighton Avenue. The bar is the left hand side of the building and has 120 taps of American and world craft ales. Stunning.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
If ale is your thing be sure to check out The Sunset Grill and Tap, 130 Brighton Avenue. The bar is the left hand side of the building and has 120 taps of American and world craft ales. Stunning.

Cheers HT, I think it would be rude not visit. :cheers:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cheers HT, I think it would be rude not visit. :cheers:

It's an amazing place. It's a 20 minute tram ride out of the city centre straight along the Boston College strip but it's in a cool studenty are called Alston/Brighton. Lots of ethnic restaurants as well.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
It's an amazing place. It's a 20 minute tram ride out of the city centre straight along the Boston College strip but it's in a cool studenty are called Alston/Brighton. Lots of ethnic restaurants as well.

What time did you have to do to qualify for the boston marathon?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What time did you have to do to qualify for the boston marathon?

I think it was sub 3:10 as a 41 year old. I did 3:09:10 in London last year. I wanted to qualify for both NYC and Boston, one is 3:10 and the other is 3:20. I cannot remember which is which. Had to defer NYC until next year though, initially I was 50/50 about doing it this year as I lost my mojo but then I got injured. I'll be back in the new year though.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I think it was sub 3:10 as a 41 year old. I did 3:09:10 in London last year. I wanted to qualify for both NYC and Boston, one is 3:10 and the other is 3:20. I cannot remember which is which. Had to defer NYC until next year though, initially I was 50/50 about doing it this year as I lost my mojo but then I got injured. I'll be back in the new year though.

:bowdown:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Never say no to free beer.....

We spent most of Saturday evening around the Quincy Market drinking, It was more for drinks than smaller area bars but it was a good atmosphere.

Even though you have to get a beer in Cheers its a rip off!

Forgot to mention we went to the shopping mall in Cambridge, this had the normal shops, there are a couple of them in town but these seemed to have the high end shops, D and G etc.

Hungry?

Check out the challenge menu....

Burgers and Hot Dogs

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Never say no to free beer.....

We spent most of Saturday evening around the Quincy Market drinking, It was more for drinks than smaller area bars but it was a good atmosphere.

Even though you have to get a beer in Cheers its a rip off!

Forgot to mention we went to the shopping mall in Cambridge, this had the normal shops, there are a couple of them in town but these seemed to have the high end shops, D and G etc.

Hungry?

Check out the challenge menu....

Burgers and Hot Dogs

However good it was, I couldn't go into any place with that name.

Chester Drawers

Apr 15, 2004
Belair
I guess it depends if you've ever seen the series. I didn't think the prices were any more expensive than other places though - about $6 + tax for a beer.

I have and I still think the bar is over-hyped ... the staff were very surly towards tourists ....surely thats the whole point of touting yourself as the "Cheers" bar? (Apart from anything else only certain scenes were filmed there anyway!!)

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I have and I still think the bar is over-hyped ... the staff were very surly towards tourists ....surely thats the whole point of touting yourself as the "Cheers" bar? (Apart from anything else only certain scenes were filmed there anyway!!)

They were fine when we went there - but we didn't eat anything, just had a couple of beers. I don't think anything was filmed inside the building - only the outside was used.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here