Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boston - Is it worth going?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One of my favorite cities, alongside Philadelphia.

Philadelphia is a great place. Been there with work. I have also travelled up the river a bit, Manayunk is nice.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One of my favorite cities, alongside Philadelphia.

Philadelphia is a great place. Been there with work. I have also travelled up the river a bit, Manayunk is nice.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I agree the Back Bay / Downtown areas are good for hotels. We stayed at The Swissotel (but think its name has changed) and The Omni Parker (supposedly the oldest hotel in the US) which were close to the downtown / front bay area ok and well placed, but depends on your budget. The deals on offer vary so much and there are always upgrades to be negotiated. Lots to choose from but suggest you check the city map to ensure you will be within comfortable walking distance of the main shops, Quincy market and a decent bar or two. IMHO anywhere close-ish to the perimeter of Boston Common is ideal. Wouldnt bother renting a car if you dont intend to go beyond the city, but watch the speed limits if you do!

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
If you're only going for a few days, push the boat out and look at the Boston Harbor Hotel. It's pricey but we got a deal through Expedia (20% discount) via Quidco (10% cash back) so a 28% discount overall and it's really nice. I liked the leather desk jotters they had and asked the concierge where I could get one -he said he'd find out and let me know. Went for a swim, got back to the room to find a desk jotter and a voicemail saying 'they aren't sold individually so please accept this with our compliments' which I thought was really nice.

They sorted our tickets for the Blue Man Group (recommended), would also recommend one of the ghost tours, whale watching, a trip to Salem, Cambridge, clam chowder and lots of walking. Enjoy!

AgerBomb22

Jun 2, 2011
Chi Town/Burgess Hill
Having been to Boston i would highly recommend it. lovely city with plenty to do. would also recommend doing the boston "Freedom trail" takes you on a good tour of the city.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Went to Boston on my first ever visit to the US. Loved it. The city actually has some history. Pay a visit to Harvard in the Cambridge area and you will see why they call it New England. Felt safe as well. Relatively short air trip as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Filthasmellphia is a hole! Boston is okay, DC is great for the Smithsonian, but if you're just doing one city on the East Coast it's got to be NYC.

Disagree about Philly. Agree about NYC (I think it's my most visited foreign city actually) but the OP did state he'd already been there.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
We stayed at the 'Back Bay Hotel' when we visited a couple of years ago. Would highly recommend it was excellent, not the cheapest though.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
My sister moved up to Boston (Lincs) from Eastbourne 3 years ago and my nephew is is one of a handful in his school year speaking English as a mother tongue.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
PM Man of Harveys. He lives there.

This. Only too glad to help if I can.

And it's great here, very much well worth a visit I reckon, as people have said above. Not sure when people were thinking of coming but I'd pay some attention to the weather: from about now onwards until March, it can be an incredibly heavy winter. Fun for skiing nearby but can be heavy work for sightseeing: bitterly cold for weeks at a time and with heaps of snow, even in central Boston (they have to shift it out of town on lorries, the stuff simply doesn't melt during the day).

The summer can be boiling hot and humid - again, not always a problem and the beaches around are lovely but it can get brutally hot. Needless to say, the famous New England autumn - much of which is now finished: the trees are now leafless, ready for winter - is absolutely the best time to come but is also the most expensive time to visit. I'd recommend venturing out of town too: Concord and environs are lovely, for example.

A guided tour of Fenway Park is a must, whereas all the main historic American revolution attracted are all joined by a path called the Freedom Trail. The US Constitution - the oldest warship still afloat, only the Victory is older and doesn't float - is even FREE, in a country where generally nothing's ever free.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Boston is a fine city - never too hot, but very cold in Winter. Plenty to see, and a very good place to walk or take public transport. Would recommend walking the Freedom Trail - takes you past most of the main historical sites and you can do it at your own pace (should take about 3+ hours). If you plan to be there for more than 5 days I would recommend a weekly travel pass - costs $15 and gets you on all the metro (Called the 'T') and buses - including the airport shuttle (Silver Link). This will cover you for local trips and slightly further out (ie Harvard/MIT).

New England Clam Chowder is the local speciality and can be found everywhere from fancy restaurants to street markets. Sports depends on the time of year but there's baseball, ice hockey, basketball and American football within easy travelling distance from the centre (there's a special train to the football). If you need a drink there are lots of good bars - many serving excellent real ale - great IPAs but quite strong. There's also the original Cheers bar on the North side of the Common. Google for real ale in Boston to find a bar near your hotel.

Can't really help with hotels as we stayed with our daughter but there are lots of them. Back Bay seems popular, with many large 'convention' style hotels - there's also the Prudential shopping mall just across the road. The East side of the Common has other top hotels (4 seasons, Carlton). Good Luck.

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
Having been to Boston i would highly recommend it. lovely city with plenty to do. would also recommend doing the boston "Freedom trail" takes you on a good tour of the city.

This. I went in October for 4 nights thought it was a great city. The Freedom trail is very good, its well laid out and Makes sure you see all the sites of note. Some great beers from local microbreweries and for snack/lunch Quincie's market is incredible. Almost every dish you can think of from smallish independents.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here