Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Boring.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
We were very bad in the second half, but I don’t think that we’d have been any better with Potter here. We sit seventh because of points we took against teams who tried to beat us at football. Man U, Leicester, Liverpool, West Ham etc. When teams let us have the ball and defend, we struggle and are often beaten on the break. It’s easier to make chances in huge amounts of space than it is to do it when there are 8+ men behind the ball. Our game relies on tempting teams out and so far De Zerbi’s methods to do that are not proving effective in the EPL. We’ll see how it goes, but doing it on our budget is always going to involve a lot of downs as well as ups.
Two fine chances to take teams on at playing football coming up. TBH, this post could have been written for much of last season, and the season before that, oh and the season before that. Three things could change it: finding a decent striker; finding a decent striker; or finding a decent striker.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Winnable games at Liverpool and a rejuvenated spurs... bit harsh to criticise those two games esp as we took a point at anfield and didn't play badly v spurs... last 2 disappointing to come away with a point though for sure.
We could/should have been 3-0 up if Wellbeck took his chance. Spurs were well organised but were they good? Brentford took their chance we didn't take ours and Forest were just not in teh game tonight. All 4 games were winnable for a team who were sitting 4th on merit. We seem to have lost our spirit/mojo/pace and our finishing.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I

It’s worth remembering that only happened in, what, the last few months of his time at the club? And after the best part of three full seasons. RDZ isn’t going to crack it in 4 games.
It had already been cracked by Potter, he didn’t really need to do much he’s one of these I only play one way stubborn managers he thinks it’s total football, totally boring maybe.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The ongoing Bloom gambling error is failure to invest in one or more fit-for-purpose strikers. It's an error that the whole of football can see, and it stands to jeopardise the entire project
Having put @bw2twat on ignore having been alienated by the tedious drone.....giving my head a wobble, you're right.

Forty million and £120K a week, jobza good 'un.

Who, then, though, then?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Need patience. These results could have happened under any manager, including GP. As for ideas... think we've seen a bit too many of them in too short time. When he came into Benevento in September or October a couple of years ago, they lost their first six (I think) with RDZ and then got a draw or something before losing another five or six. Then things turned around and they were great during the spring.
Looking forward to Spring. :thumbsup:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
It had already been cracked by Potter, he didn’t really need to do much he’s one of these I only play one way stubborn managers he thinks it’s total football, totally boring maybe.
Had it? It looked decidedly “uncracked” against Fulham 🤔 and I don’t remember being able to crack Newcastle in August. Don’t get me wrong, things were seeming to “click” with GP in the last 6 months or so, but it still wasn’t perfect.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Too slow in the final third. When Caceido and Mac made runs we were dangerous but they hardly did. The quality of the finish in front of goal was dire. We have seen worse but after the quality we saw from our team in the first games of the season we need to do better.
Exactly this.

Trossard wants too many touches at times.

Lallana way too slow, and just wants to do pretty flicks.

Welbeck looked tired and at times was in the way.

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
The manager obviously doesn't like the squad, only making 2 subs last night, why not throw a couple of youngsters for 20 minutes, a massive 2 points dropped against a championship side.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
If you watch De Zerbi on the touchline he is clearly very animated at the lack of urgency moving the ball forwards when we beat the press. He was waving the team to move quickly multiple times but players still took multiple touches and turned and played a pass back losing momentum.

I cannot fault the manager at all last night and player sales and injuries have left us with a pretty uninspiring bench which was something Potter did not suffer from.

In his interviews he clearly knows what needs addressing and players need to start scoring the clear opportunities and take the pressure off him

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
As long as we are lacking at least one goal-scoring striker, Albion won’t consistently score goals.
The best we have right now is Welbeck who is way off it.
RDZ cant be blamed for any of this.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Saw tonights performance so many times under Potter and until we invest in a striker we will keep seeing it.

Not from what I saw. The problem last night as I saw it was the way we slowly moved the ball from left to right and back again, slowing down particularly as it passed through our central players. The Forest tactic was to push our play out wide, forcing our wide players to cross into the box and trust their centre backs to deal with the it. Not only did we oblige, we did it nice and slowly.

This is exactly what we did in the Potter early days. I can only hope RDZ can see this and get his ideas across to stop it as his English improves.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Incredibly frustrating yes but no way was last night boring. In the first half we played some lovely football and totally dominated a game against an anti football performance that we used to put in week in week out (without that level of cheating). Nobody remember that? That’s what I call boring.

We are spoilt big time if you found last night boring :shrug:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
The difference is we have a decent set of players who seem to have lost their mojo. These were all winnable games and yet we only take 2 points. Not sure why he makes few and late substitutions .
We've always had a decent, yet very patchy team. Nothing has really changed from last season: awesome start, followed by a patch when we couldn't but a win against poor sides. Last night's game was Leeds at home replayed.

Just because we had a decent start this season and Potter left doesn't mean that he'd "fixed" where we fell down ever season for the last 3. The truth is, sadly, we'll never know, but what I do know is that if we aren't patchy, we aren't Brighton. Rough with the smooth

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Have we ever gone the opening 3 months of a season without a recognised striker scoring a goal (a traditional No 9)?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The manager obviously doesn't like the squad, only making 2 subs last night, why not throw a couple of youngsters for 20 minutes, a massive 2 points dropped against a championship side.
He has inherited a physically lightweight squad. We were bullied by Spurs and to some extent, Brentford. For three years there has been a fragile confidence amongst this group, particularly the ' touch ' players. We have no strength in forward positions. Toney demonstrated what we are missing. Potter was obsessed with skillful, lightweight players. Our only ' muck and bullets ' is at the back. We are powder-puff compared to a number of teams. We need Moder back for his power, a new midfield enforcer and a beast upfront.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Incredibly frustrating yes but no way was last night boring. In the first half we played some lovely football and totally dominated a game against an anti football performance that we used to put in week in week out (without that level of cheating). Nobody remember that? That’s what I call boring.

We are spoilt big time if you found last night boring :shrug:
I think that's fair comment. It was all rather predictable as opposed to boring. Coming forward we just didn't mix it up, and went very wide on both sides and got there far too ponderously. As a result, although we created a couple of chances there were none where you'd say he really should have scored - even the Gross side-footed effort.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Welbeck can't score and I can only assume that Undav, who neither Potter nor RDZ will start, must be even worse. So what was the point of taking USG's record goalscorer if he is nowhere near being EPL standard? So if Undav isn't up to it, why bin off Maupay? There's something not quite right going on here.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Welbeck can't score and I can only assume that Undav, who neither Potter nor RDZ will start, must be even worse. So what was the point of taking USG's record goalscorer if he is nowhere near being EPL standard? So if Undav isn't up to it, why bin off Maupay? There's something not quite right going on here.
The USG thing makes me a bit uncomfortable , especially when we sign their players who even from watching USG anyone would have concerns about. Then to have 2 successive managers not really fancy him tells me there is some weird dynamic.

If we didn’t sign Undav, I don’t think any other PL team would have been interested

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here