Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Border staff strike - should strikers be sacked ?

Border guards - should they be sacked if they strike?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And how many of the British public actually voted for the current Government ?

Depends how you calculate it but even if you take just the Tory vote - considerably more than 10% given 65% of people voted in 2010 and 32% voted Tory. Somewhat puts PCS to shame.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
I can't find the standard salary of a Border Agency employee typically sat behind a counter most of the time ( with guaranteed breaks and relative comfort ) but I'm pretty sure it will be much more than the squaddies risking their life for a little under £20k. Get back to work you ungrateful, lazy tossers.

So if these soldiers are so hard done by why didn't they apply to work for the border agency. They risk their lives cos it comes with the job. The job they CHOOSE to do.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So if these soldiers are so hard done by why didn't they apply to work for the border agency. They risk their lives cos it comes with the job. The job they CHOOSE to do.

And if there weren't men and women brave enough to do it then we'd be more than slightly f***ed !

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
And if there weren't men and women brave enough to do it then we'd be more than slightly f***ed !

As with doctors, nurses, security services....... The list is endless. They all CHOOSE to do those difficult stressful jobs. Let's see how you feel when the numbers of these types of workers are slashed.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
I am not surprised that they are going on strike, if they have to face the type of abuse they are getting on here, from members of the general public every day! Especially if they are as ignorant about the actual job they have to do as some on here appear be.

skr80

Oct 9, 2003
Because its far too simplistic for you to state that you believe that the people who work for the Border Agency don't give a shit and are only looking after themselves. They have suffered massive job cuts, a pay freeze for a number of years and are expected to carry on doing ever more for less. Perhaps they feel that by taking action the Government might be forced into recognising the job they do and do something that might just increase our security and make us all just a bit safer.

As you have no idea what the job entails and what conditions the present staff are expected to work under, to simply make out that they are lazy buggers just in it for themslves shows a lack of understanding of the problem.

And before you ask I do know what I'm talking about as one of my relatives worked for the Border Agency and has now been made redundant, just what we need at the moment.

is about as good a response within this thread as it gets. Not getting reeled into this, but the majority on here should keep their ignorant comments contained to BHA....

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
Serwotka is a knob who loves the airtime. Yes, the strike is legal but effectively only 10% of their membership voted to go out, so ethically there is no mandate.

We've had dealings with him and some of his cronies before. They don't negotiate they threaten as their opening piece as to what they'll do if they don't get everything they want. In my experiene, they really don't have a win/win approach to negotiation. I can't believe that there are still do many unionist leaders who cannot see past there own egos, and have a balanced commercial / welfare focus.

Having worked in a private sector business which has taken on ex public sector staff in acquisitions, I struggle to have sympathy in his conquest for what PCS see as a 'fair deal' I now work with a business where we have actively developed a strong relationship with our union, based on honesty, transparency and partnership. thats how it should be!

I'm not an uncaring capitalist, but I do agree that people should be awarded for effort not for just being at work, and unions need to learn to be partners not adversaries.

Sorry, rant over!

Dandyman

In London village.
Depends how you calculate it but even if you take just the Tory vote - considerably more than 10% given 65% of people voted in 2010 and 32% voted Tory. Somewhat puts PCS to shame.

Really, most people's maths makes it that we have people in power that the majority of those entitled to vote did not vote for.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think it's a stupid decision by the PCS that demonstrates their short sightedness and the poor quality of union leadership at the top.

At the end of the day union leaders should have their members long term interests at heart. Making the nation look inept in the eyes of the world is not good for the economic outlook of the UK and not good for their members.

Equally, 1 day strikes change nothing. The only thing that changes policy is public opinion. That is achieved in two ways: through clever lobbying with the public or through aggressive action. Aggressive action is not about threatening the nation when it is on the world stage. It is about 3, 4 or 5 day strikes during business as usual. Then we can see what value PCS staff really add.

These strikes are mad, wrong, short sighted and not long sighted. We need intelligent action that will lead to proper parity between peoples and not crass class war.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Thank you for your clear and reasoned arguement. If only we all had your clarity and insight so brilliantly demonstrated with those choice and so perceptive views.

You really need to have another look at what you said and then perhaps appologise.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Thank you for your clear and reasoned arguement. If only we all had your clarity and insight so brilliantly demonstrated with those choice and so perceptive views.

You really need to have another look at what you said and then perhaps appologise.

Apologise to who exactly? The scumbags who are holding the country to ransom because they didn't get a pay rise this year? I haven't had one for 5, so f*** 'em.

It's more the point that given the current economic climate that the Border Agency staff DO have decent working conditions ( as do many public sector workers who have gone on strike ).

Why do you think they have good conditions?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Apologise to who exactly? The scumbags who are holding the country to ransom because they didn't get a pay rise this year? I haven't had one for 5, so f*** 'em.
Maybe you should do something about it rather than just engaging in the politics of envy.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
sack you say ..........what like the 1000 they have already got rid of and could now do with to ease the conjestion at the ports and airports, look why not just let everyone in and f*** the consiquences

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here