Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Booing Barnes?!

bigcabboy

Nov 7, 2011
think the boos was for ashley being given mom he wasnt in my book but he did ok like several others today clearly thomas should have been given mom today

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Barnes 139 appearances 41 goals. Not too shabby really.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
He was shocking and the majority know it, yes he scored a penalty and a tap in (and for that I give him credit) but he is woefully short of what's required. It was embarrassing where I was sat, general derisory groans as each move forward broke down generally with his poor control or impressions of Tom Daley. He ain't good enough and that is fact and will disappear if we ever get to full strength.

However booing the bloke as he places the ball on the spot for a pen is not acceptable.

This. I think the groaning is fair enough though.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I happen to agree that Koosh should have been MoM but I'm damn sure not going to boo the player who did get it.

Another thing that hacked me off was Barnes making a mistake and getting roundly abused for it by the bloke in front only for Lita to do the same thing and have "oh, unlucky lad"

Some people have just got it in for him.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Maybe the sponsors thought it would have been a bit strange us winning 3/0 and then giving it to the goalie...but is it really a problem...nah...many of the MOM awards have been a bit strange

Plake

Unregistered User
Nov 7, 2009
Brighton seafront
I was at the match today with my 4 yr old who I'm going to encourage to support his local team (I'm a Reading fan mind). Barnes was very good today, some excellent holding play and lay offs, good touch, good vision and held his nerve to take that penalty.

He's a quality player and was an integral part of a decent team performance. You don't need to score 30 a season to be a very good forward.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Barnes had the balls to step up to the plate and take a penalty in front of a full arena and much of it would have been baying for his blood if he missed. He could have just as well been volunteering for his own execution so a lot of credit goes out to him and he deserved MOM just for that.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Barnes had the balls to step up to the plate and take a penalty in front of a full arena and much of it would have been baying for his blood if he missed. He could have just as well been volunteering for his own execution so a lot of credit goes out to him and he deserved MOM just for that.

Barnes had brass balls to do that and it shows some backbone and character so good for Ashley.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
I was at the match today with my 4 yr old who I'm going to encourage to support his local team (I'm a Reading fan mind). Barnes was very good today, some excellent holding play and lay offs, good touch, good vision and held his nerve to take that penalty.

He's a quality player and was an integral part of a decent team performance. You don't need to score 30 a season to be a very good forward.

the deep set problem many fans have with him (myself included on occasion) is that he has missed SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many sitters it is untrue.....but plays well - but a striker needs to score.

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
Felt a bit sorry / embarrassed for Barnes (in the end) when the majority of the ground groaned 'Oh no' ! As he grabbed the ball for the penalty.

Totally agree that Super Tom should have been man of the match.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
It's disgraceful the amount of stick Barnes gets. I'm sure every other club at this level would have him in their squad in a heartbeat even if not as a starter for some.

When he does eventually move on if he were to score against us I wouldn't blame him in the slightest were he to rub it in in the celebrations. Have to respect the guy for continuing to give 100% all the time, when I'm sure he's aware of a lot of the negativity directed towards him.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
He was shocking and the majority know it, yes he scored a penalty and a tap in (and for that I give him credit) but he is woefully short of what's required. It was embarrassing where I was sat, general derisory groans as each move forward broke down generally with his poor control or impressions of Tom Daley. He ain't good enough and that is fact and will disappear if we ever get to full strength.

However booing the bloke and groaning as he places the ball on the spot for a pen is not acceptable.
Got a agree with that.

He did show bollocks thought to take the penalty, as regardless of what Oscar said after the game, Spanish Dave was meant to take it, and the bench were not impressed with Barnes taking it. Not the greatest penatly, but a goals a goal, but if he had missed, I think he may have in deep shit tonight.

Apart from a couple of excellent defensive clearances, I though he had a poor game, but he scored a penalty and a tap in, so got MOM!!!!!

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
If I'm honest, he got lucky with the goals, other than that his game wasn't all that. what about when we wheee on the counter attack and he just walked back slowly ??! He's a striker he should have been sprinting and as it goes he may well have got on the end of the cross if he was there....

But booing him is just pathetic

All good strikers are lucky Ashley works very hard and I agree booing is very pathetic and just wrong he is wearing our club shirt!

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
Even that still isnt right (although i agree Kooshack should have got it).

Some of the idiots are in N1F too. 1 guy was slagging him off and calling him a donkey 1 minute before he scored the 1st goal - he got confronted after he scored and was pretty aggressive and petulant back to the people.

Maybe the bloke was slagging him off because a minute before he scored the penalty, he made about 5 mistakes in a minute.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

You're seeing what you want to see. It took big balls to take that penalty. He knew he'd be crucified by certain sections of the fans if he didn't convert it.

And the 'tap in'? It's a natural-born goal scorer's knack of being in the right place at the right time. Barnes has that knack. CMS, for example, doesn't. CMS wouldn't have been where Barnes was, he'd have been in some random part of the ground, running around like a hyperactive puppy to little or no effect.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I may be wrong but Ashley is now 4th in the BHAFC goalscoring charts from the last 35 years, Ward, Zamora, Hart, Barnes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here