Booing Barnes...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
Whoever was doing this, piss off and dont come back. Never been more annoyed with our own fans than when there was an audible booing when he got the ball. Absolutely shocking behaviour, I dont care if you dont like Barnes, I'll admit myself he wasnt great when he came on, but to be our own team is bang out of order. Rant over.

I agree 100 per cent with this. Just piss off if you are going to boo one of our players!

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
Ah - ok ... although everyone around me in the West Upper thought it was aimed at Barnes, and we were rather stunned. Apologies if it wasnt.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The booing was because the west didn't reply to 'north stand, west stand Brighton boys' it just happened to come as he recieved the ball.

Unintentional it may have been, but it was a stupid thing to do, nevertheless.

Feb 14, 2010
Whoever was doing this, piss off and dont come back. Never been more annoyed with our own fans than when there was an audible booing when he got the ball. Absolutely shocking behaviour, I dont care if you dont like Barnes, I'll admit myself he wasnt great when he came on, but to be our own team is bang out of order. Rant over.

Get over yourself mate. Supporting Brighton never has been about hero worship. Just ask Tiltman, Cooper and even Wilkins who was quite good. Barnes and CMS havemissed so many chances over the last year that they deserve stick, so they will get stick. Don't like it, then join the Salvation Army or something.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Were they saying Boo or Booarnes, Smithers?

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
I noticed Barnes get booed when the "were the West stand Brighton boys" stopped and it was the north stand booing the west, it just so happened that it coincided with Barnes first touch on the ball.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
Get over yourself mate. Supporting Brighton never has been about hero worship. Just ask Tiltman, Cooper and even Wilkins who was quite good. Barnes and CMS havemissed so many chances over the last year that they deserve stick, so they will get stick. Don't like it, then join the Salvation Army or something.

I'm not saying its about hero worship? I'm saying that booing anyone on our team is not on. If that's the stance you take I can imagine you were one of the tools thatwas doing it, in which case you are an utter twunt. I'f you don't like it, go and 'not support' some other team.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It was me....there was someone in the crowd that looked like boo weekly the us golfer.

Boooooooooooooooo

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

But he's right. Booing your own players is a disgrace and those who do it are scum.

It's not about hero worship, its about not being a complete knob...

(Not saying you are a complete knob, just those who booed - if they even were booing him)

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
People were def booing in the North and after the match finished wankers !!!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
There was one occasion when audible boos could be heard as Barnes got the ball. It was at the end of that 'We're the North Stand', 'We're the West Stand' nonsense, and was people in the North booing the West for not replying, in time honoured fashion.

It was unfortunate that Barnes received the ball just as the boos rang out, but unrelated to Barnes.

VERY true. Exactly the same thing happened at Olympics when a mexican wave happened and Bellamy happened to get the ball (and the BBC commentators failed to see the obvious and started banging on about people booing him etc)

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I also wrongly thought the boo'ing was aimed at Barnes because it coincided with the exact moment the ball was passed to him, but it was pointed out to me that it wasn't actually for Ashley.

Having said that, there were a couple of boo's from behind me when Barnes was being subbed on, and they were definitely aimed at him. Utter twats.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
There was one occasion when audible boos could be heard as Barnes got the ball. It was at the end of that 'We're the North Stand', 'We're the West Stand' nonsense, and was people in the North booing the West for not replying, in time honoured fashion.

It was unfortunate that Barnes received the ball just as the boos rang out, but unrelated to Barnes.

This is what it was.

I remember saying at the time 'that wasn't aimed at you Barnesey'

Mattlavington

May 18, 2012
Storrington
There were boos, but they had nothing to do with Barnes. The 'we're the north stand, we're the west stand' chant was going, and the north stand booed the west stand for being too quiet. It happens quite a lot, banter between the tw stands. Just so happened barnes received the ball as it happened, just a co-incidence.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
There were boos, but they had nothing to do with Barnes. The 'we're the north stand, we're the west stand' chant was going, and the north stand booed the west stand for being too quiet. It happens quite a lot, banter between the tw stands. Just so happened barnes received the ball as it happened, just a co-incidence.

Intended or not, it makes very little difference to the fact they booed when one of the Albion players was on the ball. They should have been paying attention to what's happening in the pitch.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
As above heard it too!. By the way its football fans boo players standard...did you ever go to the goldstone?!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Did not hear the booing but he had no impact on the game what so ever, the young man should not be in the squad let alone the team, he is not good enough and never will be.Lack of decent strikers has cost us promotion and the money that goes with it 2 seasons on the trot.Tony not signing strikers again this season has denied you the riches that promotion to the premier league brings,the rest of the team are more than capable of achieving promotion the strikers are not.If Gus cant see this fcuking sack him ffs

Oh do shut up with your repetitive, ill-informed, hyperbolic claptrap.

I'm all for someone having an opinion but repeating it in the majority of their posts is nothing short of attention-seeking.

We have a squad of more than 20 players that are capable of scoring goals (many of whom have spurned chances) but don't let that fact get in the way of your vitriol.

In response to the OP, I heard booing when his name was read out as one of the subs. Unbelievable....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports