Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bonfire Vs Halloween

What's the best

• Total voters

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Also? Maybe there was a pagan celebration before, but bonfire night is on the 5th November, and celebrates Guy Fawkes being caught on the 5th November.

I think both have absorbed the older traditions. The samhain traditions were tranferred to the new holiday of All Saints in Ireland and in England the echoes of the old pagan celebrations of autumn have attached to Guy Fawkes ( bonfires , torchlit processions, costumes etc)

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Anyway nice to see such strong support for Bonfire. It's a sussex tradition I personally think we should be proud of.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think both have absorbed the older traditions. The samhain traditions were tranferred to the new holiday of All Saints in Ireland and in England the echoes of the old pagan celebrations of autumn have attached to Guy Fawkes ( bonfires , torchlit processions, costumes etc)
Bonfire night may have absorbed things that used to happen before, but I don't think that makes it of pagan origin. We'd be celebrating Fawkes being caught regardless of what happened before, and we'd be celebrating it on the 5th November, and ideally, we'd be using fire and gunpowder.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
'Twill soon be the season for Carol singers.......maybe not quite as common as trick or treaters at Halloween, but still an excuse for a doorstep mugging. Occasionally you encounter a genuine choir, collecting for some deserving cause, which is fair enough.

However I quite admire the cheek of the spotty yoofs who wouldn't normally dream of singing in public but hope you will part with your cash after a few flat bars of 'God rest ye merry Gentlemen'.... before they head to the offy to stock up on Special Brew. I insist on them singing the second verse just to see a) if they know it and b) who will flinch first - them or us!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here