Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bonfire Vs Halloween

What's the best

• Total voters

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Bonfire night, anyone taking part in trick or treating should be arrested, as they are effectively looking to obtain goods by the use of threats.

A good training ground for tomorrows muggers.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Bonfire is best, but Halloween is also good.

Also Bonfire wasn't traditional once imagine if back when it 'started' people said I'm not having any of this rubbish and it didn't exist now! People should be less reactionary!

But halloween is utterly naff, and as mentioned previously, purely commercial. It also encourages children to beg for free stuff.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Bonfire, as it's BRITISH! I'm just waiting for someone to point out that "The British have always celebrated Halloween as well y'know" which is true, but 'Trick or Treat' in its current format is 100% an American import.

Oh, and it's Father Christmas not Santa Claus, and he wears a long red coat not a tunic with a black belt. (Maybe I'll save that one for a Christmas binfest!)

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I live in Australia and around my way we don't do bonfire night at all, you'd probably get arrested if you did. I used to love it in England, love it, fireworks, tomato soup, hot dogs, jumpers for goalposts, but I'm rambling now..... As for Halloween, you can stick that up your arse, greedy little things, nonesense I tell you.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
In The Republic of Ireland Halloween IS Bonfire Night. Every council estate in the country will be lit up like a noisy Christmas Tree despite the fact firework sales are illegal (they bring them over from the North).

I once spent a "fun" Halloween in a hotel on the edge of a West Dublin estate watching their local bonfire competition which was exactly like the Shameless one only with LOTS more alcohol. My mate and I initially watched from the hotel bar but by midnight there was no let up, in fact it had only really got going. We needed to be up at 6 the next morning for work but i spent the whole night awake but pissed listening to do-as-you-likeys set fire to each other. 1 November that year was not my most productive day at work.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
But halloween is utterly naff, and as mentioned previously, purely commercial. It also encourages children to beg for free stuff.

You could argue that 'Penny for the Guy' does the same thing. I'd also add that halloween's popularity is helped considerably by the fact that it nearly always falls in the school holidays unlike Bonfire night.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I pop in on my elderly father every evening after work, but on Halloween I always ring when I'm almost there. This is because he has young kids banging on his door (and window) begging for money. He knows what it's all about, so just ignores them, although some persist. Some older folk must be frightened to death of this ritual.

I rather wish this stupid event would bugger off back to America.

Edit: My facebook post from last year-showing how some persist:

'A Very Angry 'Trick or Beg' post. My elderly father doesn't answer the door but he felt compelled to on one occasion as he 'thought they were going to bash the door down'. As he said 'Some elderly folk can get very frightened'. Tis fine to visit people they know, but these groups should not be knocking on the doors of others'

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I live in Australia and around my way we don't do bonfire night at all, you'd probably get arrested if you did. I used to love it in England, love it, fireworks, tomato soup, hot dogs, jumpers for goalposts, but I'm rambling now..... As for Halloween, you can stick that up your arse, greedy little things, nonesense I tell you.

I think it's called Bushfire Night in your part of the world. Although the event tends not to observe any scheduled protocols....

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I much prefer Halloween as it gives kids the chance to dress up and have some fun and it's over and done with in one night as well, unlike bonfire night that goes on for about 2 weeks.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
For years Halloween played no part in the British Calendar. As kids we all looked forward to Bonfire night. There was ' penny for the guy ' in the lead up to the big day. We saved up for fireworks and a good time was had by all.
Sadly, this appalling American rubbish has been allowed to take hold here and the big stores are making a lot of money. It is unadulterated garbage and the kids are falling for it.
Anyone trick or treating at my door gets very short shrift. I don't care who I upset. I feel like sticking a notice on the front door saying...." having rough sex with a hooker, please don't disturb "
I blame the parents as much as the kids. Traipsing round the streets, wrapped in stained bed sheets and wearing pathetic make-up. Give me a machine gun so I can mow them all down.
Bah humbug!

I've just gone out and cable tied the gate shut

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
If you'd read my other post you'd have seen that I'm perfectly happy with organised displays being staggered - people in the area know it's happening and can take appropriate steps, and OK, there are loud noises on two nights: one night when the organised display is taking place, and on November 5th, when the general public are having their own garden displays.

So what about those who want to hold their own event and want to attend Lewes? A lot of people in Sussex have private bonfires on a different night.

Nothing to do with 'people getting old'....what garbage.
so your just a boring killjoy then. :whistle:

However, I can see from your user name that we're not going to get an unbiased opinion from you!:wink:

I hate this time of year, it brings back painful memories and it's not nice having eveyone celebrate my failure and demise... :jester:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Living abroad I get quite nostalgic for Bonfire night. Love it.

Not really into Halloween but can't stand people moaning on about it. I can remember doing some apple bobbing as a kid in the 70s. Hopefully there were no TV entertainers in the vicinity.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Bonfire, as it's BRITISH! I'm just waiting for someone to point out that "The British have always celebrated Halloween as well y'know" which is true, but 'Trick or Treat' in its current format is 100% an American import.

Oh, and it's Father Christmas not Santa Claus, and he wears a long red coat not a tunic with a black belt. (Maybe I'll save that one for a Christmas binfest!)

This a hundred times, IT IS FATHER CHRISTMAS!!!!!

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Bonfire / Bonfire night.

But I must admit that we are getting a few yummy mummies turning up at the front door with their little ones! :p

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Santa Claus is derived from Saint Nicholas who was the bishop of Myra.
http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/who-is-st-nicholas/

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Bonfire night is has much more of a 'pagan' origin but its also connected with the Gunpowder plot.
Also? Maybe there was a pagan celebration before, but bonfire night is on the 5th November, and celebrates Guy Fawkes being caught on the 5th November.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here