Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bobby Zamora for England Euro 2012?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Lambert/Holt won't get away with their physical approach in International football.

I think that is right and they don't have the other assets to compensate. In fairness Bobby Z does, but he had a bad time under Jol at Fulham and his season was disrupted. He doesn't seem to have settled at QPR (but then nor does anyone else). It surely means he can't be considered a serious option unless we are desperate. I think Crouch will go as the only "hold up" player although it isn't particularly his strength. Maybe England wil have to play it through midfield a la Brighton?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I think that is right and they don't have the other assets to compensate. In fairness Bobby Z does, but he had a bad time under Jol at Fulham and his season was disrupted. He doesn't seem to have settled at QPR (but then nor does anyone else). It surely means he can't be considered a serious option unless we are desperate. I think Crouch will go as the only "hold up" player although it isn't particularly his strength. Maybe England wil have to play it through midfield a la Brighton?
If you're going to play through midfield you need a striker who can play even more, see our season.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If you're going to play through midfield you need a striker who can play even more, see our season.

Agree wholeheartedly - I'm just not so sure about the "traditional" English centre forward role for no other reason than just at the moment, I don't think we have anyone good enough. Rooney no longer plays that role - he comes deeper. I would rule out Carroll and Holt as being not good enough and way too likely to get sent off at international level because of the physical nature of their game. Zamora has had an awful year at just the wrong time for inclusion in a tournament squad. Crouch has a good scoring record and experience enough to scrape in as an "alternative"if we have to have one but I can't see him starting. Despite not getting a regular start with Spurs I suspect Defoe will be an option instead of and possibly alongside Rooney and I think we will have Oxlade-Chamberlain and Walcott providing the options to play from wide.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Again, in what games has he been brilliant? Maybe the last 3? Wow, that's some run of form.

So we should just ignore the players that have been in the best recent form? Logical.
If Zamora had been superb in an FA Cup semi-final and a final recently as well as being a constant threat in the league, the "Bobby is God" brigade would be going mental about how he should be in the England side.

D

Deleted member 18477

Rooney, Welbeck, Carroll, Holt and Sturridge for me.

Ringmer Richie

Feb 4, 2012
Ringmer
Zamora has a lot more to his game than Carroll. He can hold the ball up well, and he brings other players into the game. Carroll heads the ball well and throws his weight about.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I would love to see him there and I think he would do very well. I would have him and Crouch as the two starting forwards when Rooney is out. But I doubt Roy will pick him. If he does pick him and it doesn't go well he will get so much stick for it from the papers. i would hate to see Carroll there. I really do hate him. He is a diving bastard and he doesn't deserve it. I want to see honest players in the England squad. Hopefully we will see Crouch get a good chance at the Euros. He completely deserves it. He has done really well for England yet hasn't had enough time on the pitch. He is dominant in the air and for such a tall bloke he really can use his feet.

D

Deleted member 2719

Bobby will be there as he served Roy so well in Europe, he knows exactly what he brings to the team, assuming he is injury free. Not sure how often he will be played thou.

What odds would they give now for Zamora to score the first goal for England in the Euro's?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
oh please, are you kidding. Zamora is a very average prem player. He should be nowhere near the England squad. Anyone suggesting he should be, needs a head check.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Unfortunately the way England play we could take Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy we are just not good enough at feeding the forwards, if he was younger then I would take him but I think he has missed his chance and we will be looking to younger players (welbeck and sturridge)or more experience (crouch and Defoe) although not my choices.

Last edited:

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
No way should he go, it takes a VERY biased person to say he should. Those stats above show exactly why Holt should go, but I don't think he will, because Roy knows if he does, and we do anything but win the damn thing, he'll be crucified for going with unexperienced Norwich players. That's the problem the press has on our football team i'm afraid.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Opta did this chart but Zamora's not even on it so....

avETi.png

If you're going by form you'd take Rooney, Bent, Holt and Defoe.

What period is that from? Can't be the whole season as the goal totals are wrong.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Bobby Zamora for Brighton 2012 :cool:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here