VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Neal Maupay = 288 minutes per PL goal
Zamora = 350 minutes

Maupay = 163 minutes per Championship goal
Zamora = 187 minutes

Not saying that NM cant learn anything from Zamora but that the latter was somehow a much better goal scorer is a myth.

Great stats, do you have the same for Murray, as I suspect his experience would be more valuable than Bobby's.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
If he is involved, whether you think he's right for the job or not, im just pleased the club are looking at options like this. We've been wasteful in front of goal all season so why not try something new with the coaching.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Having seen that stat above, I think I now want to see an 'Xg to goal' metric. That would surely quantify who was a better striker, as it would take into account the quality of opportunities they were presented with.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Probably waiting for WHU to come in for him, that's where his heart lies

One of our first home Premier League matches against West Ham and pre-match Zamora was on pitch chatting to Richard Reynolds. When asked what the score is going to be Zamora says he hopes West Ham will win. The moment's silence as the crowd digested that was special! My memory is a little rusty so I may have got the wording/match slightly wrong.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You have to remember that we all watched Zamora in the lower divisions. In his first period with us, he was the first striker that Brighton had since Peter Ward, who when given a chance, you'd be surprised if he didn't score rather than just hoping he didn't miss. Close to 30 goals a season in both our successive league winning seasons in the third and fourth tiers and hugely responsible for some of us starting to believe that it was possible for the soul draining days of the late 1990s to be put behind us. Okay, he didn't pull up trees in the top division, but then why should we care? We didn't watch him then. He'd already made his mark on us lot and emotional bias can't be defeated by mere statistics:

When I got to go to hospitality for one match a few seasons back, my kids asked me whether I was looking forward to meeting any ex players and were surprised by my nonchalance. On my return, I had to admit that, when Bobby Z came over and spoke to our lot, I was as much of a mooning schoolboy as the rest of the table.

I like Neal, but Bobby Zamora is the greatest striker the world has ever produced and nothing you can say will ever convince me otherwise..

Which is 100% understandable.

Only when Maupay has scored another 21 Prem goals, appeared in an FA Cup Final, UEFA Europa League Final and played for his country would he have matched Bobby.

Still plenty of time for him to do all of that. Might never play France but thats a different level compared to England 2010/11.

Great stats, do you have the same for Murray, as I suspect his experience would be more valuable than Bobby's.

GM in PL = goal every 204th minute
Championship = every 173rd minute

Excellent PL numbers, even better (188m/pg) if you remove his last PL season (and the goal he scored in that one) as he was frankly probably a bit too old then.

All that said there is nothing that says more goals as a striker = better striker coach.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
When it came to chances in front of goal, Zamora had ice in his veins. Utterly ruthless.

Sadly with Neal, I think its more like brie.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Which is 100% understandable.

Still plenty of time for him to do all of that. Might never play France but thats a different level compared to England 2010/11.

GM in PL = goal every 204th minute
Championship = every 173rd minute

Excellent PL numbers, even better (188m/pg) if you remove his last PL season (and the goal he scored in that one) as he was frankly probably a bit too old then.

All that said there is nothing that says more goals as a striker = better striker coach.

Yes, because what makes a brilliant striker coach is being one of the best fullbacks Albion ever had! ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that neither Bobby or Glenn nurture any great ambitions to return to the game in coaching capacities.

Bobby is making serious money out of running his own soccer schools, whilst Glenn of course is making regular appearances on the Beeb and Sky Sports as a pundit.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
One of our first home Premier League matches against West Ham and pre-match Zamora was on pitch chatting to Richard Reynolds. When asked what the score is going to be Zamora says he hopes West Ham will win. The moment's silence as the crowd digested that was special! My memory is a little rusty so I may have got the wording/match slightly wrong.

Always remember him skying the gilt edged chance he had when playing for WHU at Withdean !

D

Deleted member 2719

Having seen that stat above, I think I now want to see an 'Xg to goal' metric. That would surely quantify who was a better striker, as it would take into account the quality of opportunities they were presented with.

Good point.
Bobby pulled goals out of nothing on a regular basis, Neil has to do show a lot more to even be put alongside Bobby.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that neither Bobby or Glenn nurture any great ambitions to return to the game in coaching capacities.

Bobby is making serious money out of running his own soccer schools, whilst Glenn of course is making regular appearances on the Beeb and Sky Sports as a pundit.

It was from 2020, but the article I posted at the start of the thread says Bobby would be interested. Seems to fancy some part time coaching.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Not with us. Although I’m sure the club would help him with some sessions and coach with the club if he wanted to.

I’m sure he’s more than happy living off his retirement, fishing and keeping in shape like an absolute Adonis.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I am not convinced that you can teach natural ability. The art of a good striker is unpredictability - and you can’t teach that either. You can coach the basics but it doesn’t require a Glen Murray or Bobby Z to do that.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I am not convinced that you can teach natural ability. The art of a good striker is unpredictability - and you can’t teach that either. You can coach the basics but it doesn’t require a Glen Murray or Bobby Z to do that.

I'm not sure there is such a thing as "natural ability"... practice makes you better.

You can teach "unpredictability" as it is really about movement. I remember when we at the coach education I went to had Marcus Allbäck (former Swedish striker with a dirty goal record) visiting us and someone asked him "what was a thing you didn't understand before you moved abroad?". And he immediatly said "the movement part". Pretty much the first thing they did in Heerenveen was to show him a video reel with Ruud van Nistelrooy, to study how you as a striker through movement and body language trick your defender that you'll be attacking one space but then swiftly change to another, and how to move in order to get into the defenders "dead angle" where they can't be sure of what you're doing.

But I'll give you that to some strikers this part comes naturally, and when that is the case they might not be able to teach it because they're just doing it without knowing exactly what they're doing. But it can definitely be taught if you understand the "science" behind it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here