Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bob Hoskins has died

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
His portrayal of Smee in Hook was a defining moment in cinema history. The pathos he brought to the role was breathtaking. He redefined the way that we, the audience, look at comic sidekicks.

You are all very naughty boys for hijacking this thread......

:lolol:

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Agree about all the films above, but I remember him above all for "Pennies from heaven" on the telly about 30 years ago, if not more. Great Dennis Potter script and story, use of music (for the first time in that way??) from the 1930's (ish) with the characters singing dancing along to it, and a great performance from Mr Hoskins. Real quality stuff in every respect.

Absolutely. Very original and a great bit of TV. Also, of course, Long Good Friday, a fantastic film.
RIP.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Real shame. Whilst Mona Lisa was great I expect for many people his pivotal role was as gangster Harold Shand in The Long Good Friday.

Spot-on there,not a fan of American TV or many of their films. Their so-called hard men bosses are just not believable for me Harold Shand was,that grimace of the face he would give was so menacing. Thanks for the memories Bob. R-i-P.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
"Look at you, the mafia ? I've shit em "

Nice one Bob.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Most of his roles I like have already been mentioned (Roger Rabbit, Hook, Super Mario Bros) but I'd also like to throw Felicia's Journey into the mix. Very dark.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Shocking news! Sad end to an Injury plagued career RIP X

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Arguably Spielberg's cleverest film. Next-level kino imho.

I'm now deeply ashamed to admit I've never seen Hook. I feel as though I should rush out and buy a copy on DVD now, having seen it so fulsomely praised on here. Thanks, chaps!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I remember years ago seeing Bob Hoskins in a BBC public information film, playing the part of a lorry driver and I commented at the time that 'he would probably make it big someday'.
I still think he was robbed of the Oscar for best actor for his part in Mona Lisa.
He was streets ahead of Michael Caine who got it for the same film.
Rumour has it that Mr Caine was getting on a bit and best get one before he calls it a day, then he wins one later for The Cider House Rules, which he did deserve.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
I remember years ago seeing Bob Hoskins in a BBC public information film, playing the part of a lorry driver and I commented at the time that 'he would probably make it big someday'.
I still think he was robbed of the Oscar for best actor for his part in Mona Lisa.
Rumour has it that Mr Caine was getting on a bit and best get one before he calls it a day, then he wins one later for The Cider House Rules, which he did deserve.

Thought Caine got it for Hannah and Her Sisters?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I thought Paul Newman beat him for The Colo(u)r of Money. Could be wrong ...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I really liked him in the TV series, The Street. He played the pub landlord who stood up to a local gangster. Think he got an Emmy for that. It was a superb return to form.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I thought Paul Newman beat him for The Colo(u)r of Money. Could be wrong ...

He did.

Caine won Best SupportingActor for Hannah and Her Sisters that year. Hoskins was up for Best Actor, and as you say, Newman won.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here