Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
Mona_Lisa.gif

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Tsk, damn sad. Incredible actor. The Long Good Friday is one of my favourite films of all time and his performance in it is absolute genius.

I bunked off school some time in mid 80s and went on the pier, only to find half of it closed off because he and Cathy Tyson were filming Mona Lisa. RIP.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Sad news indeed. I remember the educational stuff he did donkey's years ago. He was great in those too.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sad news. The Long Good Friday is a great British film and his performance was superb. Furthermore, I'd say the final scene of the film is one of the best bits of acting I've ever seen in my life, when the camera films his face close up for a good couple of minutes as he contemplates his fate.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Sad news. The Long Good Friday is a great British film and his performance was superb. Furthermore, I'd say the final scene of the film is one of the best bits of acting I've ever seen in my life, when the camera films his face while he contemplates his fate for a good couple of minutes.

Just watched that on youtube fantastic

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah, definitely his greatest work - and Spielberg's, of course.

Arguably Spielberg's cleverest film. Next-level kino imho.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
One of the worst American accents of any British actor working in Hollywood, but when you've co-starred with Jessica Rabbit, who cares?

And The Long Good Friday is one of the best British films ever. If he'd only ever made that one movie he's still be one of the greats.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
RIP. No more "It's good to talk" from Bob Hoskins.

LOL That made me think back to a Frank Skinner stand up sketch where he impersonated Bob Hoskins whilst talking about Princess Diana and Will Carling's alleged 'friendship'.. regrettably it's not on You Tube though :nono:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
His portrayal of Smee in Hook was a defining moment in cinema history. The pathos he brought to the role was breathtaking. He redefined the way that we, the audience, look at comic sidekicks.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Sad news. The Long Good Friday is a great British film and his performance was superb. Furthermore, I'd say the final scene of the film is one of the best bits of acting I've ever seen in my life, when the camera films his face close up for a good couple of minutes as he contemplates his fate.

Indeed awesome scene and a great soundtrack. One can imagine fledgling actors being shown that scene as a demonstration of how to convey so much just by facial expression.

" the Mafia, I've shit em"

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
RIP Super Mario.

Although how good was he in HOOK?

best part of the film for me...

Captain James Hook: [holding a pistol to his head] No stopping me this time, Smee. This is it. Don't make a move Smee, not a step. My finger's on the trigger. Don't try to stop me, Smee.

Smee: Oh, not again.

Captain James Hook: This is it. Don't try to stop me this time, Smee. Don't try to stop me this time, Smee. Don't you dare try to stop me this time, Smee, try to stop me. Smee, you'd better get up off your ass. Get over here, Smee!

Smee: I'm coming. I'm coming.

Captain James Hook: Stop me! This is not a joke! I'm committing suicide!

[Smee triggers the gun away from Hook's head, sinking the model ship in the pool]

Captain James Hook: Don't ever frighten me like that again.

Smee: I'm sorry.

Captain James Hook: What are you, some kind of a sadist?

Smee: I'm sorry, I'm sorry. How do you feel now?

Captain James Hook: [sighs] I want to die.

Smee: Oh, now, now.

Captain James Hook: There's no adventure here.

Smee: [hold out Hook's gun] You call this no adventure?

Captain James Hook: Death is the only adventure I have left, Smee.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I really liked You Can't Hurry Love too.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Agree about all the films above, but I remember him above all for "Pennies from heaven" on the telly about 30 years ago, if not more. Great Dennis Potter script and story, use of music (for the first time in that way??) from the 1930's (ish) with the characters singing dancing along to it, and a great performance from Mr Hoskins. Real quality stuff in every respect.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Agree about all the films above, but I remember him above all for "Pennies from heaven" on the telly about 30 years ago, if not more. Great Dennis Potter script and story, use of music (for the first time in that way??) from the 1930's (ish) with the characters singing dancing along to it, and a great performance from Mr Hoskins. Real quality stuff in every respect.

Absolutely this. A superb series.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Loved him in Pennies From Heaven, here's how it ended:

Wonderful - thanks for the reminder. Two other songs I particularly remember are "Radio Times" and "Oh, you nasty man". It was just masterful how Dennis Potter worked them in, and Bob Hoskins did it oh so well - as did everyone else in the cast.

KLUNK

Mar 30, 2010
East Sussex
Nooooo! Just found out. Didn't know the great man was even ill. Long Good Friday and Mona Lisa 2 of my favourite films. Rip Bob :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here