Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom refuses to bow to fans' calls to axe boss Hyypia

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Whatever people think of Burke and Hyppia, Barber is a true pro, worth the money and has been a credit to the club. Though as usual some people are looking for scrapgoats..

Well, I think someone's just nominated themself to organize the whip-round and leaving card.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If SH had signed all the new players himself I think he would have gone by now. Maybe Tony is reviewing how we sign players. Who knows Burke might go first.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Whatever people think of Burke and Hyppia, Barber is a true pro, worth the money and has been a credit to the club. Though as usual some people are looking for scrapgoats..

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji12]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If SH had signed all the new players himself I think he would have gone by now. Maybe Tony is reviewing how we sign players. Who knows Burke might go first.
I imagine you're right.
Although I'd expect Burke's defence to be 'if you give me league 1 money ...'.

The problem with all of this, Sami's failure, player failure, recruitment failure, is ultimately it all has to come back to Tony.

When your £200,000,000 in the hole, and underwriting £10,000,000 annual loses with absolutely no sign of any kind of payback, why are you going to blow up what was successful 6 months ago on the whim of the fans.

Tony has to be concerned, but like it or not (and plenty don't) it's his club to do with as he pleases.
That's modern football, it stinks, but without £200m there's not a lot we can do, other than be grateful we don't now play in red.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
simultaneously over-seeing one of the most spectacular on-field declines since 1991-92.

Damn he's good....

Or depending on how you look at it, since he arrived, Albion have had 2 of their most successful on field seasons in the last 30 years. Although as he doesn't sign the players, pick the team, or do the coaching so i'm not sure what you mean.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Or depending on how you look at it, since he arrived, Albion have had 2 of their most successful on field seasons in the last 30 years. Although as he doesn't sign the players, pick the team, or do the coaching so i'm not sure what you mean.

Genuine questions for you (not statements of fact). Do you believe that Poyet's desire to leave was in any way influenced by the arrival of Paul Barber (and TB has confirmed Poyet wanted to leave earlier that season)? Do you believe he was part of the team that recruited the subsequent two managers, one of whom was great but left and the other who seems to have about 90% of the fans wanting him to leave?

I ask because if the answer to either question is yes then, while he has not directly chosen the players, team or tactics, he HAS chosen the person who chooses them - or at least been a massive influence on that process.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Genuine questions for you (not statements of fact). Do you believe that Poyet's desire to leave was in any way influenced by the arrival of Paul Barber (and TB has confirmed Poyet wanted to leave earlier that season)? Do you believe he was part of the team that recruited the subsequent two managers ?.

Poyet was sacked of course. He didn't leave or walk out. And for someone who couldn't work with PB it took at least 13 months before he was out of the door. And I suspect he will continue to behave like he did in those last few months at the Albion regardless of who is the CEO at his future clubs. That's just the way he is. There will be plenty more flounces and threats.

Barber has been there to sort out the running of the club commercially, and bring the club within FFP limits. Which by any yardsticks he's succeeded at. He also negotiates the fee for players when we've decided to sell. He's had to, sadly, been rather good at that too.

Did he solely pick SH ?
Did he sell Ulloa, Did he decide to make the club sustainable financially ? No - ultimately that's Bloom and/or the manager - was he part of the team that did- self evidently yes. But this whole scapegoat chasing has no logic. you might as well say Zaha started the Albion decline with his 2 goals on May 13th 2013 or Lewis Grabban for not signing in January 2014 or Oscar for not staying on for 14/15 or our defence for leaking stupid goals all season.

The idea that the club aren't aware though that it's not exactly turning out dandy and the fans are restless and that there are severe consequences financially with our current form, tactics and players and only if we down our pies or something Bloom will be shaken to his senses is just ridiculous.

Hyppia is on borrowed time. A new manager is clearly being courted. The timetable for that is not to the liking of the impatient lot on here but so what.

And as for Paul Barber then he's doing the job he's been asked to do. Without American Express or Nike paying for our shirts , for example, SH would have even less of an under performing squad. And fantasies that without PB of all people, that , GP would still be here with us in the prem and Buckley , Ulloa and Barnes up front knocking them in are just that, fantasies.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Poyet was sacked of course. He didn't leave or walk out. And for someone who couldn't work with PB it took at least 13 months before he was out of the door. And I suspect he will continue to behave like he did in those last few months at the Albion regardless of who is the CEO at his future clubs. That's just the way he is. There will be plenty more flounces and threats.

Spin. He approached TB and said he wanted to leave "now or at the end of the season" and then gave the most bizarre radio interview I've ever heard. He also deliberately did "something" that he got caught at that led to the dismissal. These were the deliberate acts of someone who wanted to leave.

Barber has been there to sort out the running of the club commercially, and bring the club within FFP limits. Which by any yardsticks he's succeeded at. He also negotiates the fee for players when we've decided to sell. He's had to, sadly, been rather good at that too.

Agreed. He's great at these things.

Did he solely pick SH ?

No but he was involved.

Did he sell Ulloa, Did he decide to make the club sustainable financially ? No - ultimately that's Bloom and/or the manager - was he part of the team that did- self evidently yes. But this whole scapegoat chasing has no logic. you might as well say Zaha started the Albion decline with his 2 goals on May 13th 2013 or Lewis Grabban for not signing in January 2014 or Oscar for not staying on for 14/15 or our defence for leaking stupid goals all season.

Again completely fair and reasonable points which I agree with. My contention is that Paul Barber is A contributing factor to our current position not THE. All those other things happened.

The idea that the club aren't aware though that it's not exactly turning out dandy and the fans are restless and that there are severe consequences financially with our current form, tactics and players and only if we down our pies or something Bloom will be shaken to his senses is just ridiculous.

Hyppia is on borrowed time. A new manager is clearly being courted. The timetable for that is not to the liking of the impatient lot on here but so what.

Agreed. Makes the programme notes about spending more at the ground somewhere between petty and bizarre though/

And as for Paul Barber then he's doing the job he's been asked to do. Without American Express or Nike paying for our shirts , for example, SH would have even less of an under performing squad. And fantasies that without PB of all people, that , GP would still be here with us in the prem and Buckley , Ulloa and Barnes up front knocking them in are just that, fantasies.

I honestly think with the position that he inherited - massive media interest, flair team, unique ethos and over 20k STHs that anyone with decent senior management credentials could have got Nike and Amex. They were open goals waiting for the striker to tuck it home.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I honestly think with the position that he inherited - massive media interest, flair team, unique ethos and over 20k STHs that anyone with decent senior management credentials could have got Nike and Amex. They were open goals waiting for the striker to tuck it home.
Something that would appear to be easier said than done for any Albion employee.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003

Did he solely pick SH ?

Good post - made me feel a bit better

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
I still think he's going.
The club would have said SOMETHING this week if he was staying.

Not so sure, why would they have to say something? Just because we're all frustrated, upset or whatever your disposition might be, they are not obliged to say anything. They may feel it’s business as usual.

By the way, I hope you are right and something IS going on.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
Not so sure, why would they have to say something? Just because we're all frustrated, upset or whatever your disposition might be, they are not obliged to say anything. They may feel it’s business as usual.

By the way, I hope you are right and something IS going on.
i think what is going on hyypia and jones are prepareing the players for another massive game on saturday against wolves and trying new tactics

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

Did he solely pick SH ?

I don't know how anybody can believe that PB was such a lynchpin in negotiating the shirt sponshorship deal.

Albion were already so far in to bed with Amex that the negotiations would have been as difficult as asking a prostitute you were already in bed with if she will suck you off for another £10.

And we might have been brought within FFP but we are still losing money. And we are about to start losing more with the way the fans are starting to drift away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here