Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Blimey (new predicted positions)

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Have they fed all their data into a super-computer to generate this?

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Everton relegated on 39 points? Not sure when that high a total got you relegated last (maybe 2010/11 but not checked) or are they using [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] s tracker?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
This article is already out of date. We are still predicted to finish 7th but with a points total of 60 and +11 GD. We have less than a 1% chance of relegation and a 24% chance of making the Champions League! They basically model the season based on hundreds of factors and run it 20,000 times.

We are also, according to FiveThirtyEight's quite complex and mostly reliable Sports Performance Index, the 23rd best team in the world.

The stats come from here https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/premier-league/

It's probably the best barometer later in the season but obviously isn't a brilliant guide for future form (especially in a season broken up by a World Cup as there isn't really a precedent for a long mid-season break)

Let's hope Nate's upped his game since the 2016 US Presidential Election.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not sure that this is particularly astounding. They've predicted the top six to be the Big Six (as it was last year and is most years), two of the three relegated clubs to go down (with the third, one of the teams that just escaped) and the seventh placed team to be the one that finished ninth last season (given the poor start that seventh and eigth have had, that's not a hard prediction).

Now, if they'd predicted us in the top four and, say Leicester, to go down, I'd have been more interested

slimes

Aug 23, 2011
cheltenham
Not a betting man so wouldn't have a clue how to place a bet but a certain company are offering the following EPL odds-
To win it 125/1 not worth even a few pounds.
Top two 50/1
Top four 10/1 those used to be our relegation odds!
Top six 11/4
Relegated 50/1
Not relegated 1/500 wow, so we're not going down then
NOT in top 4 1/20
Top half 3/10
Bottom 250/1
HERE IS THE BET
Third behind Man City & Liverpool 33/1
7th behind big six 15/8

I did this bet.. not at 33/1 .. and we then lost to Fulham which was I think I was over critical on a certain player.
I've had success and some failures.
Backed over £100 for Ulloa to be top goalscorer for Leicester. Lost
Backed Leicester to be top 4 the year before they won the league.. Lost.
I had leicester to win at 1500/1 .. 38p (won)
And now £4.65 for this bet.

Olbg top tipster Cheltenham for this year..

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Some mistake surely, they are managed by a man championed by many on here to be our next manager!

If he gets more than 20 points with that squad then he's a very good manager indeed. It's basically 25 total strangers. Their recruitment is the exact opposite of the Albion's.

When Potter goes to England in December his name will be on our shortlist.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If he gets more than 20 points with that squad then he's a very good manager indeed. It's basically 25 total strangers. Their recruitment is the exact opposite of the Albion's.

When Potter goes to England in December his name will be on our shortlist.

Bloody hope not, I am not that impressed by him, although I accept he did a brilliant job last year. He has backed a complete scattergun approach to managing at this level

£50 bet to REMF that Potter will NOT be becoming England manager in December or January (I'll give you some leeway :lolol: ) ? He is not a fool

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bloody hope not, I am not that impressed by him, although I accept he did a brilliant job last year. He has backed a complete scattergun approach to managing at this level

£50 bet to REMF that Potter will NOT be becoming England manager in December or January (I'll give you some leeway :lolol: ) ? He is not a fool

He's had to. He inherited a team full of loans and expired contracts from CH. You can't play Premier League football with the dinner lady up front.

First "£50 to REMF to prove I was right on the internet" of the season and only six games in? :lolol:

There are a lot of people in football who think he'll be the next England boss. Barry Glendenning said it on the Guardian Football Weekly only yesterday. In reality GP has a contract that the FA may not want to pay out and TB may yet improve it further. But, without doubt, if Southgate goes and the FA want an English manager then it can only really be Potter or Smeddie (Cooper is Welsh).

Keep your money in your pocket but feel free to bounce this thread at the end of January :wink:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He's had to. He inherited a team full of loans and expired contracts from CH. You can't play Premier League football with the dinner lady up front.

First "£50 to REMF to prove I was right on the internet" of the season and only six games in? :lolol:

There are a lot of people in football who think he'll be the next England boss. Barry Glendenning said it on the Guardian Football Weekly only yesterday. In reality GP has a contract that the FA may not want to pay out and TB may yet improve it further. But, without doubt, if Southgate goes and the FA want an English manager then it can only really be Potter or Smeddie (Cooper is Welsh).

Keep your money in your pocket but feel free to bounce this thread at the end of January :wink:

Of course they'll try for him when Southgate gets the boot. I don't do bouncing to prove I was right (because I am also often wrong as you WILL be on this) but I may offer you an olive branch :lolol:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
7th would be great, I guess. Just a nagging feeling that this is the ceiling for the club. Its only one direction after that, and will people still be happy finishing mid table or at least above the bottom 3:shrug:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
7th would be great, I guess. Just a nagging feeling that this is the ceiling for the club. Its only one direction after that, and will people still be happy finishing mid table or at least above the bottom 3:shrug:
Hit the ceiling less than a week after losing to Fulham? So much room for improvement still and I’m sure everyone at the club believes it. The sky is the limit.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
This is our form since we lost 6 in a row in March.

DWWLDWWDW/WDWWLW

15 games
2 loses
4 draws
9 wins

Obviously past performance is no guarantee of future results, but when does a purple patch become the norm?

It looks like Graham might have solved our major defect, which was playing well without getting the results our play deserved.

By dropping Maupay, who only started 2 games following our awful run of 6 losses on the spin (the games Neal did start since then were disappointing draws against Norwich and Southampton). And more recently (according to fbref.com) opting for a starting formation of 3-4-3 rather than a 3-5-2 (although we did line up in a 3-5-2 against Fulham, and lost.)

It looks like Graham Potter might have fixed us.

If so, a 7th place finish might be a pessimistic forecast.

If we compare this run of 15 games and imagine it happened at the start of last season then we'd still be 4th place.

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/premier-league/07-december-2021/

This form or "purple patch" we are in has now being going on for almost the equivalent of half a season, like you say when does it become the norm? We've had a close season which obviously helps recharge the players batteries (but that's the same for every other club), we've also done it while losing key players from last seasons squad and continued the end of season form into the new season. Maybe just maybe we can dare to dream that this could be a very special season.

Do I expect us to finish 4th? No, but there is every chance we could challenge for a top 6 finish like West Ham, Leicester and even Wolves have over the last few seasons. There seems to be a real belief in our team as a whole, we bounced back from a poor performance against Fulham and the poor start against Leicester to produce a stunning win on Sunday. We even had two more incidents in that game that could have seen our heads drop (their equaliser and the Ali Mac worldie being ruled out by VAR) but we kept going. This is a very special team that if it gets it right on the day is a match for any other in the PL.

Last edited:

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Of course they'll try for him when Southgate gets the boot. I don't do bouncing to prove I was right (because I am also often wrong as you WILL be on this) but I may offer you an olive branch :lolol:

Does this mean we should all hope England win the world cup, just to keep hold of our manager?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here