Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bleacher Report on football gambling/Tony Bloom

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
The Numbers Game says exactly the same thing.

I've tried to read that twice and hit a wall both times. First go I reached a bit where they tried to use odds to prove that football is more random than baseball (and NFL/NBA too I think) while apparently overlooking the fact that the sports they were comparing it with don't have draws.
Tried again a few weeks later, then got to a chapter where they kept cheerfully saying "let's assume that a draw is half a win". When it clearly isn't. It's a draw. It doesn't even get you half the points of a win.
Perhaps I'm being picky, but when a book has the subtitle "Why everything you know about football is wrong" ...

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
A very interesting read, he's obviously a clever man.
But it does beg the question, how can a man who makes millions on betting on games of football ,pass the football leagues fit and proper test ?
Players can't bet on games, so how can owners ??

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
A very interesting read, he's obviously a clever man.
But it does beg the question, how can a man who makes millions on betting on games of football ,pass the football leagues fit and proper test ?
Players can't bet on games, so how can owners ??

He doesn't bet himself though does he? The company in which he has a significant interest places bets on behalf of clients. There's no reason why he would be dealing with things from an operational level. The Coates family who own Bet365 also own Stoke City, but there is not deemed to be a conflict of interest there, and many betting companies have shirt sponsorship deals with clubs, again this has never been questioned.

So you can put your wooden spoon away!

Have you looked at the parameters of the owner and director test of the Football League? It's not very onerous to satisfy.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
He doesn't bet himself though does he? The company in which he has a significant interest places bets on behalf of clients. There's no reason why he would be dealing with things from an operational level. The Coates family who own Bet365 also own Stoke City, but there is not deemed to be a conflict of interest there, and many betting companies have shirt sponsorship deals with clubs, again this has never been questioned.

Have you looked at the parameters of the owner and director test of the Football League? It's not very onerous to satisfy.

I hear what you are saying, but surely if a owner who sells his best players and replaces them with loanees and league 1 players, weakening the team, thus effecting their chances of winning,does have a bearing on future results ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Tremendous read. Big cheers to OP. As to the smoke and mirrors and blind faith in algorithms, it all seems little more than total bolleaux designed to lure in gullible punters with WAY more money than sense. Wonder how the algorithms would do in the NSC Predictions League? Mid-table mediocrity most likely :lol:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I hear what you are saying, but surely if a owner who sells his best players and replaces them with loanees and league 1 players, weakening the team, thus effecting their chances of winning,does have a bearing on future results ?
So you are accusing Tony Bloom of cheating? Good luck with that fella, I hope you've got deep pockets.

:)

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
i have a friend who owns a bookies in guernsey and has some big gambling 'friends'. he told me years ago that it was 'common knowledge' amongst insiders that TB had floors of people working for him laying bets etc. My knowledge of betting extends to an account with Bet365 with £30 in it but it is interesting to see that article kind of confirm what I had been told.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
i have a friend who owns a bookies in guernsey and has some big gambling 'friends'. he told me years ago that it was 'common knowledge' amongst insiders that TB had floors of people working for him laying bets etc. My knowledge of betting extends to an account with Bet365 with £30 in it but it is interesting to see that article kind of confirm what I had been told.
Trevor Gallienne?

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide

hmm...so you think TB would rather make a few quid on predicting/influencing Brighton results rather than trying to ensure we get into the Premier league so that he might get a return on the £200m he has invested in the club. don't make much sense to me.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Didn't you sign a free transfer from Glenn Murray who had never played above league 1 a few years ago, and he scored 30 goals to get you promoted?

Stop stirring please.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I haven't lost my nerve with my system, my spreadsheets and algorithms but I've still only got 200 vCash left.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Star Lizard Consulting.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I haven't lost my nerve with my system, my spreadsheets and algorithms but I've still only got 200 vCash left.

My system suggesting going all in on the vCash for the first league game has been binned. :lol:

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda

Here are your parameters:

New rules introduced from 1 August 2014

A worldwide ban on betting on football will come into force from 1 August 2014 for all those involved in the game at Premier League, Football League, Football Conference and Women's Super League levels, as well as those at clubs in the the Northern, Southern and Isthmian leagues and all other Participants who do not fall into the category below.
Participants covered by the ban will be prohibited from betting, either directly or indirectly, on any football match or competition that takes place anywhere in the world.
The changes to FA Rules from the start of the 2014/15 season will also effect a worldwide ban on betting on any other football-related matter. For example, the transfer of players, employment of managers or team selection. The passing of inside information to somebody that uses the information for betting remains prohibited.

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/betting/betting-rules#rW5rVe2Qgy7m36mC.99

Bloom as the owner of the club will be included in this - he is betting whether it be directly or indirectly if his company is placing a bet for itself or on behalf of someone on a football match.

Interesting article, probably only scratches the surface but I've been surprised that more journalists haven't written articles on Bloom given his new profile as an owner - but the reason is that, despite the profile of clubs like ManU, most business publications aren't that amazingly interested in the sector below the top really big names.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Here are your parameters:

New rules introduced from 1 August 2014

A worldwide ban on betting on football will come into force from 1 August 2014 for all those involved in the game at Premier League, Football League, Football Conference and Women's Super League levels, as well as those at clubs in the the Northern, Southern and Isthmian leagues and all other Participants who do not fall into the category below.
Participants covered by the ban will be prohibited from betting, either directly or indirectly, on any football match or competition that takes place anywhere in the world.
The changes to FA Rules from the start of the 2014/15 season will also effect a worldwide ban on betting on any other football-related matter. For example, the transfer of players, employment of managers or team selection. The passing of inside information to somebody that uses the information for betting remains prohibited.

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/betting/betting-rules#rW5rVe2Qgy7m36mC.99

Bloom as the owner of the club will be included in this - he is betting whether it be directly or indirectly if his company is placing a bet for itself or on behalf of someone on a football match.

See post #63 and stop s*** stirring.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

Affecting, numbskull

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here