Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Black Country Living Museum

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Personally quite a fan of their Acoustic stuff, probably why I like Led Zep III so much.

Ah well, each to their own, I suppose this might suit you better?

The acoustic stuff on Led Zep III is a lot better than that (IMHO)! And, for the record, I like Slade too.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Bit of a long shot, but I know what a geographically diverse membership we have on these boards.

The simple question, is it any good, what’s it like?

Over the years I have visited Beamish several times (ex wife was a Geordie) and pre Covid visited Blists Hill Victorian Town and enjoyed both. I love the looking back at how we used to live, in the days before the modern luxuries we so take for granted.

We are going to Shropshire at the end of May and wondered if this was worth giving a go.

Any opinions?

Going there on Sept for the first time, so LFTI.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is it like a Slade themed Amberley? with a cuppa soup cafe?
No!

I had forgotten Amberley, like it there, bit smaller than the others mentioned, but worth a visit all the same!
I like Amberley, but the Black Country Museum is bigger - there is a lot more to see there. The Amberley museum is mainly about transport (which is fine by me!) - the Black Country Museum is all about the local industry and lifestyle, as well as the transport.
They're both good, but not really a direct comparison.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
No!

I like Amberley, but the Black Country Museum is bigger - there is a lot more to see there. The Amberley museum is mainly about transport (which is fine by me!) - the Black Country Museum is all about the local industry and lifestyle, as well as the transport.
They're both good, but not really a direct comparison.

Thanks, I've looked at their website and they do some good events. Unfortunately we miss the deaf awareness day, as that could have been interesting. Nice to see a venue doing that sort of thing.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Another yes here ...

Took the kids there about 12 years ago, nice day out, on a par with Blists' Hill [also local to me] - and yes, the Fish 'n' Chips were top notch.

If you're in the vicinity and looking for things to do, 15 miles away near Kidderminster is the West Midlands Safari Park - may be of interest.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
St Fagans in Wales is really good

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No Tipten Slasher monkey - no likey.

Show me the monkey.
Show me the monkey.
Show me the monkey.

(For fans of Frank Skinner)

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Another yes here ...

Took the kids there about 12 years ago, nice day out, on a par with Blists' Hill [also local to me] - and yes, the Fish 'n' Chips were top notch.

If you're in the vicinity and looking for things to do, 15 miles away near Kidderminster is the West Midlands Safari Park - may be of interest.

We're staying in Pitchford, so about 30 miles from there, website looks interesting, thanks for the heads up.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
We're staying in Pitchford, so about 30 miles from there, website looks interesting, thanks for the heads up.

I like the Black Country Museum and would be happily go again. From where you are I would also be tempted to visit Ironbridge, if it isn't already in your plans.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I like the Black Country Museum and would be happily go again. From where you are I would also be tempted to visit Ironbridge, if it isn't already in your plans.

We visited Ironbridge in 1BC, love that whole area of the country.

Living in Kent, apart from the White Cliffs we seem to miss some natural ruggedness (waits for HWT to mention the rugged inhabitants of Sittingbourne).

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
I’d definitely recommend the Black Country Museum, but I don’t think that it needs a whole day, unless you combine it with the adjacent barge trip through the tunnels. West Mids Safari Park is a good shout. The Severn Valley Railway from Kidderminster to Bridgnorth is a good day out, especially if breaking your journey at the various village pubs along the line.

I’d definitely recommend the Black Country Museum, but I don’t think that it needs a whole day, unless you combine it with the adjacent barge trip through the tunnels. West Mids Safari Park is a good shout. The Severn Valley Railway from Kidderminster to Bridgnorth is a good day out, especially if breaking your journey at the various village pubs along the line.

Definitely this and the Severn Valley Line is superb.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Seeing 'Black Country Living Museum' PPF arrives with his full armoury of two syllable ones liners and withdraws to the Pit deciding it's all a bit vanilla high brow.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

Oooh, not that far from me [Wellington] - not everyone's cup of tea but Pitchford Hall might kill a few hours

SVR is £25 per head for a day ticket and, again, not everyone's cup of tea, but stopping off at Bewdley is recommended - museum and pub grub very local to the SVR station.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Oooh, not that far from me [Wellington] - not everyone's cup of tea but Pitchford Hall might kill a few hours

SVR is £25 per head for a day ticket and, again, not everyone's cup of tea, but stopping off at Bewdley is recommended - museum and pub grub very local to the SVR station.

Again, thanks for all the contributions. I forgot there was an ACTUAL Shropshire Seagull... :lolol:

Will be checking out the various recommendations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here