Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bit of good Falmer news

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Just heard that the Uni have formally withdrawn their objection for the stadium and coachpark ..!

My god it REALLY might just happen...and soon..!!

:thumbsup:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Lord Bracknell
Getting the agreement of Brighton University has been the biggest obstacle to overcome.

It is possible to achieve a major development on someone else's land, but the processes are even more drawn out than the one that the Albion have been engaged in.

The highlight of the next two weeks will be the confirmation at the Public Inquiry by the University that they support all aspects of the application.

Hopefully that will come on Tuesday. But if you want drama (and - after the last couple of weeks - I can do without, thank you very much), the University will tantalise everyone and hold out to the very, very end ... and then suddenly come on board.

I'm confident.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
from the offiicial site.............

xclusive!
Albion Get Falmer Boost
Albion, the University of Brighton and Brighton & Hove City Council today signed an agreement regarding the proposed stadium at Falmer.

Following the agreement, the University then formally withdrew their objection to the main applications for the stadium and the coach park.

Full story and reaction from Albion chief exceutive Martin Perry will follow on Wednesday morning...

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Quick question for you: Is Falmer pronounced 'Farmer' or 'Fallmer'?

When the Inquiry re-opened this morning, it was announced that the Club had reached agreement with the University of Brighton. At the end of the afternoon session, the Inspector was presented with a copy of the Section 106 Agreement and the University confirmed that they will not be calling any witnesses.

Over the next few days, the Inspector will have the opportunity to read the Agreement and suggest any changes - before final signatures are put to it - thereby enabling the Inquiry to finish with binding agreements in place between all the key parties.

"I hope I'm not the only person doing the proof-reading", said the Inspector.

In between all this, we heard the evidence of the Club's traffic expert on the revised access arrangements - traffic signals at the eastern end of Village Way, a widening of Village Way to eliminate conflict between University traffic and vehicles entering or leaving the Club's coach park, and a mini-roundabout at the University end of Village Way. Despite an attempt by Lewes District Council to suggest otherwise, there was confirmation that the Highway Authority (East Sussex County Council) had no objections to the access proposals and accepted the Club's evidence.

Lewes DC tried to argue that the traffic signals were inappropriate, but this was robustly refuted by the expert witness.

Falmer Parish Council were fairly quiet.

More Club witnesses to come - on lighting, noise and planning issues. Expect Lewes DC to oppose everything to the bitter end. But, on today's performance, we shouldn't be too worried.

The key thing is that the University are now fully on board. Congratulations, I say, to Martin Perry who has been negotiating the fine details for months.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This really is wonderfully positive news - despite some comments from various detractors I can only say:

"Thank you very much Martin Perry for the absolute, total comittment you have given to this project which really looks like finally becoming a reality"

Respect from me and hopefully many others.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

JJP'96

Jul 26, 2003
London
Totally agree:clap: :clap: :clap:
Both Knight and Perry have done more for this club than anyone since the days of Charlie Webb. However there is going to be no rest for the intrepid duo... once john prescot does the biz (hopefully not big an assumption), they will be involved in equally testing negotiations trying to secure the funding.
With the amount of time. effort and money they have put into this it is a miracle they have found time for looking after the football side at all! And they haven't done too badly there - two championships in three years!!!!!
Any comments FG?

Last edited:

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Today we took an enormous stride nearer to Falmer with today's news. Well done Martin Perry for sticking with it. To Richard Hebberd, Dick Knight, Martin & the legal team - today is a very very significant day in the history of the Albion.

All eyes now turn to Mr Prescott - I can only ask anyone that hasn't written their letter, to please do so now. Send c/o the Club.
It's the least we can do.

Against all the odds, this Club has again triumphed - a team effort.

Together we will win.

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
I'll second that until you go to the enquiry you do not realise how much work has gone into this and what great people we have on our side....the best. :clap: :clap:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
The Laughing Bluebird said:
Quick question for you: Is Falmer pronounced 'Farmer' or 'Fallmer'?

It's more like 'Foul-mer'

overcgull

Aug 13, 2003
Brighton, of course
Went to the enquiry today, and was impressed by the Albion's handling of queries (including a corker about the proposed parking facilities being half- to one metre lower than the proposed approach road: apparently, the gradient is "too steep" at 4%, so we definitely shouldn't have a new stadium. You have to wonder what planet some of the Falmer NIMBYs are from - presumably, a completely flat one, for a start).

Really feel like there's hope now.

overcgull said:
Went to the enquiry today, and was impressed by the Albion's handling of queries (including a corker about the proposed parking facilities being half- to one metre lower than the proposed approach road: apparently, the gradient is "too steep" at 4%, so we definitely shouldn't have a new stadium. You have to wonder what planet some of the Falmer NIMBYs are from - presumably, a completely flat one, for a start).
I'm not sure it's fair to blame Falmer NIMBYs for that one.

Wasn't it Lewes District Council banging on about gradients? On the basis of what their so-called "Traffic Expert" had advised them?

Even their numbskull lawyer could see that things weren't going quite to plan:- "I'd like an adjournment of half an hour to clarify one or two points with our traffic witness".

If it wasn't for the fact that my Council Tax is paying for this nonsense, it would be quite funny.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Funny really, the Uni caves signs the agreement just when their staff are getting themselves all worked up over parking space at the falmer campus. Crazy.

You didn't see me here, right?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here