Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Birmingham Vs Middlesbrough *****Official Match Thread*****

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
It might be just me, but I found that analysis on Sky completely vacuous - "that point Middlesbrough won tonight puts additional pressure on Brighton for Monday" argument is completely unfounded. It's always going to come down to the last game of the season, irrespective of what happens on Monday.

So the argument that "this is the most important point of Middlesborough's season" that they were spouting is patently false. If anything, this was the most meaningless point that Middlesborough have won all season. They would be in much the same position if they lost tonight.

If we lose or draw to Derby, then they only need draw with us on the 7th for promotion - otherwise nothing less than a win will do. And yet the only way the Sky pundits spun it was "Middlesbrough just have to win against Brighton and they're in the Premier League" - as if we're just going to roll over! As [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION] points out, we've only lost twice away all season.

Sky and their pundits are always biased to the home team for some reason.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Middlesbrough have now drawn their last three matches. They should have sewn the title up by now.

Yup. Boro were a couple of mins of injury time away from being as good As up. Since thAt slip up they have failed to beat Ipswich and brum. Remember that the teams we have hammered have been "on their holidays" according to people not at the match.

It would be amazing to beat Derby and Burnley to lose.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
It might be just me, but I found that analysis on Sky completely vacuous - "that point Middlesbrough won tonight puts additional pressure on Brighton for Monday" argument is completely unfounded. It's always going to come down to the last game of the season, irrespective of what happens on Monday.

So the argument that "this is the most important point of Middlesborough's season" that they were spouting is patently false. If anything, this was the most meaningless point that Middlesborough have won all season. They would be in much the same position if they lost tonight.

If we lose or draw to Derby, then they only need draw with us on the 7th for promotion - otherwise nothing less than a win will do. And yet the only way the Sky pundits spun it was "Middlesbrough just have to win against Brighton and they're in the Premier League" - as if we're just going to roll over! As [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION] points out, we've only lost twice away all season.

I think this is great, exactly what we want because it piles on pressure on them and takes it away from us. We don't want the media into our little secret: we are actually the best team of the three at the present. We know that, and would much prefer we keep it that way. Once Ollie et al. start on making us favourites I start to get worried.

Yes, it is a little patronising to 'little Brighton' who might just spoil the pundits' all season's confident prediction that Boro would be promoted, but,hey, I would prefer that to being the favourite who has splashed the cash and might fall at the line.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sure, but I still think it makes a psychological difference in the back of your mind, the difference between we need to catch up, vs, we need to hold our position.
I just can't see that. When they're on the pitch they'll be thinking about whether or not they need to win the game - whether they need to score or just need to see the game out. Nothing else.

The only other thing that could really play with their mind is if Burnley lose on Monday and the players hear Burnley are doing badly against Charlton - suddenly Brighton and Middlesbrough could be thinking a draw isn't so bad after all.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
One thing a draw does is make winning margin against Derby less important as we can end with same points as Boro only by drawing twice; would really need a 6-0 job to worry Burnley on GD or GS.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
A burnley win on Monday now promotes them regardless

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
If, when we play Derby, and its level with 20 mins to go, it must be the case to throw everything for the win. goalkeeper up for corners as well.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
One thing a draw does is make winning margin against Derby less important as we can end with same points as Boro only by drawing twice; would really need a 6-0 job to worry Burnley on GD or GS.
Burnley are unlikely to lose, and if they do it'll be by one goal. If they do lose and we were to have beaten beat Derby 3-0, Burnley would have to beat Charlton by 2 ( assuming we only lost by 1 at Boro). Lots of unlikely results; I'd be happy with a streaky 1-0 win against Derby.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here