Biometric Entry To Your 'Community' Stadium Anyone?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If they started requiring biometic access for supporters that would be one of our season tickets ditched, as that's the 'team' one for friends.

In fact the club must know that to do this would hit season ticket numbers to some extent.

Dec 29, 2011
Well folks, according to my trusted stewarding source up at Falmer, the East Stand Stewards have been 'signing in' for work using their electronically read finger-print recently. Call me cynical, but I certainly don't think they're being singled out as a particularly disreputable group. My gut-feeling is they're being used as Guinea Pigs for an entrance system that the club are looking to use in future for the rest of us match going peasants. You may well think that it's a great idea: saving you the bother of having your plastic or paper ticket with you when you rock up at the turnstiles. Others, however, will see it as an affront to your personal liberty & will be sickened to know that our club looks to have an increased level of control over: our personal information; individual support; who we decide to give our ticket(s) to (or not); and where we stand (or sit, as it were) in this brave new corperate world.

It doesn't take a genius to work out what I think about it, but you're very welcome to say exactly what YOU think about this issue (assuming that it's true)...

It's a common way for workers to clock in/out that has been around for years. Doesn't mean it will be rolled out for 23,000 as, in my experience, it would be impractical for this purpose.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
If they started requiring biometic access for supporters that would be one of our season tickets ditched, as that's the 'team' one for friends.

In fact the club must know that to do this would hit season ticket numbers to some extent.

I'm with you BV. I hope to God that any such system won't be in operation at The Albion in my lifetime, but given the much heralded 'convenience' of the smart card entry system we now have, I don't think it takes a major leap to think that a biometric system could - or indeed would - be employed.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
It's a common way for workers to clock in/out that has been around for years. Doesn't mean it will be rolled out for 23,000 as, in my experience, it would be impractical for this purpose.

Nice one GB. I hope you're right. :thumbsup:

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
I'd prefer the iris scan, more secure :)

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
A slight tangent, I was at the BACA Academy (the school replacing Westlain/Stanmer/Falmer), and a very impressive building it is too, and somebody spotted what looked like one of these fingerprint machines.

A very interesting tour, they also have open plan unisex loos! They seem to work quite well, apparently.

PC BHA

Sep 29, 2005
This, to the best of my knowledge, is a steward only system and not for supporters. This is used by lots of organisations for clocking on and off. The club have visited other clubs who use this system.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Will you have to give your finger back if you stop being a season ticket holder?

Could get messy at Anfield. Given the way season tickets are kept on from dead relatives so that the family can use them, they'd presumably have to keep and preserve a finger for use on match days!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I had to spend two hours in the immigration tank at JFK airport a few years ago after my fingerprint indicated that I was a wanted drug dealer. We have enough people moaning about the time to get out, imagine the moaning about the time to get in

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im curious, what does the Mr Twinkle Toes think of Apple's Iphone 5S with its fingerprint reader or Samsung's S4 with its face recognition. and as far as personal information is concerned, you have presumably given the club your name, address and bank details... why does this matter?

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Slightly off topic but I am unsure if a finger print is personal data or sensitive personal data under section 55 of the DPA. All it does is identify you (PD) and doesn't provide information on sex, religion, disability etc...Gonna have to look at that when I get to work.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Slightly off topic but I am unsure if a finger print is personal data or sensitive personal data under section 55 of the DPA. All it does is identify you (PD) and doesn't provide information on sex, religion, disability etc...Gonna have to look at that when I get to work.

Anyone got any thoughts?

since the finger print itself will not be recorded, but a algorithm will create a hash to store and compare, techincally its not even personal data. the hash wouldnt identify anyone, only verify you upon request. it would be treated as personal though to avoid having to explain all that to non-technical bods.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Simple solution: we all chip in for a 3D printer or two and make fake fingers for our friends to use.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports