Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Bin strike in Adur and Worthing?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I booked the tip on Saturday, my weekly treat . . . a car load of cardboard wood and our domestic rubbish, the bin and recycling both full, as is green bin.

I presume we'll all get a council tax rebate. ;-)

They happy to take the black bag stuff without sifting through like they normally do?
I understand that they’ll accept mixed recycling

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
To go on strike for effectively 4 weeks - the bin men (and women) must be loaded. Not many people could afford to lose a month's salary.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
To go on strike for effectively 4 weeks - the bin men (and women) must be loaded. Not many people could afford to lose a month's salary.

The Union cover 75% after the first 2 days I believe - but yes a 25% paycut for a month is a bit of a hit. Especially as their employer just raised council tax bills by 12% or so

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
They happy to take the black bag stuff without sifting through like they normally do?

They seemed ok, some different staff in this weekend and actually appeared helpful rather than jobsworth hinderance.

I say that as, I believe, a considered recycler.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Pleased to say that the Arun bin men have just been :wink:

Jul 7, 2003
Pleased to say that the Arun bin men have just been :wink:

My road borders Goring and Ferring so maybe I should take a walk along the road one evening and drop off a few bags on the way:whistle:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I wouldn't be so smug ... GMB are on a tour of the south coast it seems ... so Arun will be next :D

Wordle in 3 today and my rubbish collected too, I have every right to be smug for once :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Union cover 75% after the first 2 days I believe - but yes a 25% paycut for a month is a bit of a hit. Especially as their employer just raised council tax bills by 12% or so

The GMB shrewdly ran the Brighton strike as follows:-

- Only the drivers officially striked. Making full pay from the strike fund warchest doable.
- Then their colleagues, far more in number, simply couldn’t work, even though they were ‘willing’. So they received full pay from BHCC.

It’s a fair assumption that the GMB will replicate that tactic as they march across municipalities.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
And here we are well into the fourth week of our bin strike (twice as long as the 2021 Brighton strike) and still no closer to a settlement. The Council appears to be burying its head in the sand and has posted on its website that Council Tax payers should not contact the Council about the strike. It appears they are oblivious to what happened in Brighton & Hove where the council had to relent in the end. What is the Council expecting to achieve by dragging it out?

It appears that all parties are taking a day off from negotiations today. That's shameful.

https://www.adur-worthing.gov.uk/bin-strike/latest-news/

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
And here we are well into the fourth week of our bin strike (twice as long as the 2021 Brighton strike) and still no closer to a settlement. The Council appears to be burying its head in the sand and has posted on its website that Council Tax payers should not contact the Council about the strike. It appears they are oblivious to what happened in Brighton & Hove where the council had to relent in the end. What is the Council expecting to achieve by dragging it out?

It appears that all parties are taking a day off from negotiations today. That's shameful.

https://www.adur-worthing.gov.uk/bin-strike/latest-news/

Which political party is running that council these days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Adur district council are atrocious

hopefully people remember this shit show when they vote next month.

The unionists need to be sacked as well as the council. I'd take the whole ****ing lot of them out to the large empty car park at the back of the community centre and shoot them. It would at least keep the seagulls out of the bins.

any business properly managed and run doesn't need either party involved.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
My road borders Goring and Ferring so maybe I should take a walk along the road one evening and drop off a few bags on the way:whistle:

Jeez - we must be very close together.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Adur district council are atrocious

hopefully people remember this shit show when they vote next month.

The unionists need to be sacked as well as the council. I'd take the whole ****ing lot of them out to the large empty car park at the back of the community centre and shoot them. It would at least keep the seagulls out of the bins.

any business properly managed and run doesn't need either party involved.

The GMB rep would be the first.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

ReSHOREHAM TIP

No issue with the black bag stuff when I went down there last week ..but recycling does need to be sorted into two lots …paper/card and then plastics/bottles/tins

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
ReSHOREHAM TIP

No issue with the black bag stuff when I went down there last week ..but recycling does need to be sorted into two lots …paper/card and then plastics/bottles/tins

It's not that hard is it.

I'm looking forwrd to the council announcing they're going to reinvest the bin mens salaries we pay in road/cycle path resurfacing locally

Western Road/Pond Road was like thhe grand canyon the other day . . . although I notice they've dropped some lumps of what looks like vintage manure in the ravine now.

Jul 7, 2003
The GMB rep would be the first.

There was an article somewhere which said that until recently there were only a handful of GMB members in the A&W depot with most being members of Unison.

As soon as the GMB arrived, the strike was always on the cards and the Council don't want to talk to the GMB and only with Unison who they have worked with for years.

Labour leader is being very careful as they have to show solidarity with the unions but also recognise that this is a great opportunity to get control of Worthing as they have had big gains recently.

Could be an interesting few weeks ahead of the local elections.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It's not that hard is it.

I'm looking forwrd to the council announcing they're going to reinvest the bin mens salaries we pay in road/cycle path resurfacing locally

Western Road/Pond Road was like thhe grand canyon the other day . . . although I notice they've dropped some lumps of what looks like vintage manure in the ravine now.

Initially I was annoyed with the booking system ..but with the current situation it’s made getting shot of stuff a doddle, especially as I have a van ..it would be great if they maintained the extended closure times (back to near where they were)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here