Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Billy Gilmour SINGED on a four-year contract

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’ve said this before but goal scoring strikers cost a fortune. Maybe the plan is to tactically setup to have goal scoring midfielders that are much much cheaper.

Cost a fortune and demand the highest wages. I think we operate a strict wage structure and so our negotiations with strikers is probably the most difficult of all the positions because of the limitations of our wage structure.

Now some feel we should break these structures and rules we set for ourselves and break the constraints, but it's not the way TB wants to run the club.

What is evident is that the way we're being run is very frustrating to some fans and that in itself is understandable, however not understanding that is how we operate just seems wilful ignorance to justify getting angry.

I'd love more goalscorers etc. but after 6 years in the PL we are still not sustainable and still rely on the finances mainly of 1 man. That has to be respected imho.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Problem being Gilmour isn't a goal scoring midfielder.

I was about to say the same thing but I won't because a lot of people on here clearly think that everything in the garden is rosey; and the majority are always right, of course.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My comment was borne out of frustration and, as a lifelong fan, I meant no disrespect to Tony Bloom. At the beginning of the transfer window I knew, deep down, that we wouldn't be signing the additional striker we so clearly need, but I didn't think, for one minute, that we'd sell our top scorer for just £15M, and fail to replace him. It really does beggar belief to me and I suspect a lot of other Albion fans, too. As a club we've come a long, long way, and have improved every part of the team other than up front and I really don't understand why we appear to be unable to transact some decent business when it comes to strikers. Even if we had to pay £50-£60M for a striker of Premier League quality, it would be money well spent and would simply mean that we had re-invested the money we got from the sale of Cucurella - so it's not as if it would have cost us anything. Clearly, I'm missing something....

Undav replaced Maupay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Agreed. But I'm hoping, nee praying that Simon Adingra is the real deal. I cant remember if we we have a call-back on his loan or if its a season without.???

I wonder if Andone might get some game time ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Agreed. But I'm hoping, nee praying that Simon Adingra is the real deal. I cant remember if we we have a call-back on his loan or if its a season without.???
I'm no doubt wrong but I don't think he's got a work permit yet, has he ?

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
No. But it might make it easier to play Alex Mac and Caicedo further forward who are more likely to score goals.

Maybe. I think the balance of the team in midfield is pretty decent as it is though overall, although I think Gilmour is a good, potentially excellent, signing. We're just light in striking options which is where I'd expect the majority of our goals to come from.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I can't believe how written off "Undav the written off" is.

Lol.

We'll be fine without signing a striker...

...although the Janssen deal sheet hour is yet to come.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
What about the lessons from the 3 games before?

Asking for a friend....

That game when they played a first team quality striker and didn’t lose? Yes I hope they have learned a lesson from that.

Sinister Melon

Jun 15, 2022
I can't believe how written off "Undav the written off" is.

Lol.

We'll be fine without signing a striker...

...although the Janssen deal sheet hour is yet to come.

Personally not writing undav off, but I do worry about our numbers up top. Last season it felt like we needed a third striker with welbeck and maupay both being unavailable at times, and even if undav ends up being great we still have that issue without an extra body in there

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
What role in midfield does Gilmour usually play?

Was he used by Chelsea and Norwich in the same role?

He was mis used at Norwich . Behind front 2 , on the wing and all in a struggling sinking side with expectation on his shoulders .

He can flourish here

Was against it to start but it makes perfect sense of potter can get the original potential he showed out

Could be a gem

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here