Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Biggest rip-offs in Britain..

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Oh, and the first that comes to my head (that hasn't been mentioned dozens of times already)....

Dominoes. £18 for a pizza. Have not, and never will, pay that.

Thank goodness for the 50% off forces discount

I know what you mean though. As good as there pizzas are £18 is ridiculous.

Can't believe people actually pay it

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Surprised mens clothing in comparison to women's hasn't been mentioned.

Outlets such as Next, River Island are very high compared to what women have to pay for garments.

I would not expect to see much change from £100 having purchased say a pair of jeans and two t-shirts.

What happened to gender equality?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Why do you reckon this is the case?

Partly cultural, Brits don’t complain enough (though that’s changing) and I think partly because competition is engrained in the American economic system whereas the UK seems to have too many cozy cartels rigging prices. Another thing I’ve found is the US is more open in its dealings with the punters, the UK seems happier to bury things in the small print. When I worked at Gatwick tourists were not told that there were much cheaper alternatives to the Gatwick Express, so for years they got ripped off thinking the GE was the only way into London. The GE and Heathrow Express work out as some of the most expensive rail journeys per mile in the world.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Thank goodness for the 50% off forces discount

I know what you mean though. As good as there pizzas are £18 is ridiculous.

Can't believe people actually pay it

No one does pay it! Their business model is entirely based on people paying using BOGOF offers or multiply deals. The ridiculously inflated menu prices only exist to make the 50% price seem like you are getting a good deal, when actually for what you get it's about right, and to rip people off during peak periods like England matches on TV where people just order whatever.

Similar to theme parks, which someone else mentioned. Looking at Thorpe Parks prices and saying £46 is a rip off is pointless, because you'd have to be a complete idiot to turn up without a BOGOF voucher, or, in the case of odd numbers, the reduced prices on the website.

Are trains in Spain and Germany and France actually cheaper than UK? The massive rip off here is the peak time fares, but it's also possible to get amazing value tickets - like to super off peak day travelcards.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
A certain forest based holiday camp aimed at the middle classes. Not cheap to start and then once you're in there's no where else to spend your money except their supermarkets, restaurants and extras that you discover aren't included. Amazes me people put up with it

I worked for 6 months in these places about 3 yeas back. We were training Sainsbury's staff using Roleplay. Paid very well and we got free use of facilities and free restaurant vouchers, free accommodation etc. I looked at the price of the lodges, activities one day . Hells bells! Baffles me why people would travel to the Lake District or sherwood and stay in these place with all the natural beauty outside.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Oh, and the first that comes to my head (that hasn't been mentioned dozens of times already)....

Dominoes. £18 for a pizza. Have not, and never will, pay that.
Doubt anyone pays that...Go into deals on their website and you'll see what you can get.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Go to a Supermarket before cinema and get snacks there, empty them into a Tupperware box to avoid noise. Better yet, take some cold pizza from home. I bought medium popcorn, bottle of water and opal fruits in Odeon other week. £11.50

**** that. How people with kiddies manage in the summer hols baffles me, gotta feel for anyone trying to entertain kids these days.

matildaseagull

Aug 12, 2003
Good Old Sussex
The price of dog flea treatment, worming tablets etc at the vet. You can buy it much cheaper online but you need a prescription from the vet ...... which she charges £15 for.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Are trains in Spain and Germany and France actually cheaper than UK? The massive rip off here is the peak time fares, but it's also possible to get amazing value tickets - like to super off peak day travelcards.

I imagine you can always find a cheaper UK ticket if you're prepared to book well in advance and have a ton of restrictions applied but overall Germany seems cheaper and simpler with a much better service.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
3.95 per 100g pick n mix at some cinemas.... Unbelievable.

Also, that 'Moo Moo shakes' on the pier, £5 for a special shake, I mean they are nice but a fiver? Crazy.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Surprised mens clothing in comparison to women's hasn't been mentioned.

Outlets such as Next, River Island are very high compared to what women have to pay for garments.

I would not expect to see much change from £100 having purchased say a pair of jeans and two t-shirts.

What happened to gender equality?
To be fair, women usually buy cheap crap but lots of it, men buy much less volume but of a higher quality usually. Women's fashion changes rapidly hence the fast turn around of cheap items, men's clothing changes very little after you get past 30, so I buy top kit, just less of it.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Good few years back Sainsburys opened a new supermarket on the site of the old cattle market right next to Haywards Heath station. They did free parking but ONLY IF YOU LEFT YOUR HEADLIGHTS ON !!

Clever this, as all of their customers are in and out in under an hour - so your battery won't go flat. If you're there all day (commuters), by 4pm your battery's flat so your lights are out, you get a ticket.

Smart eh?

Its impossible to leave your headlights on in most Fiats and Alfa Romeos - you can leave the parking lights on, but on a bright day people aren't going to see them as on. One way to ensure an entire brand of car owners won't shop with you.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
February before last my partner wanted to book holiday in Lanzarote to meet up with her family. Flights booked same day £180 from Glasgow £300 for us from Gatwick

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
A few years ago I went from Newtown to Machynlleth by train a distance of 28 miles which cost £4.10. A month later the train journey from Lancing to Seaford (26 miles) cost £7.30. When I was moaning about it to a friend all he could say was "Welcome back to the south-east."

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
Go to a Supermarket before cinema and get snacks there, empty them into a Tupperware box to avoid noise. Better yet, take some cold pizza from home. I bought medium popcorn, bottle of water and opal fruits in Odeon other week. £11.50

**** that. How people with kiddies manage in the summer hols baffles me, gotta feel for anyone trying to entertain kids these days.

When i was young we kept ourselves entertained, Playing football going to the park or going fishing. Our parents wouldn't have wasted valuable income keeping kids entertained.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Domino's pizza of not on Two for Tuesdays!

I think a large is £17.99 on its own! All that for a bit of bread , cheese and tomato!

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
Many people in this country pay the price for their laziness. Can't be bothered to cook, can't be bothered to walk anywhere, the easy way for parents is to take their kids to a theme park.
Apart from peak time train fares and utilities which can't be overcome then stop going to these over priced restaurant chains, or stop buying refreshments at the cinema, stay away from the theme parks etc etc. If the income at these places dropped dramatically then they would be forced into reviewing their pricing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here