Biggest attendance quickest exit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

D

Deleted member 22389

So someone that leaves early isn't a real fan? To me a real fan was one that spent hours of their own time and lots of their own money making sure we got the Amex. One that went to every game at Withdean and even bought season tickets for the Gillingham seasons even though they couldn't attend many games. Ones that spent days delivering referendum leaflets and Seagull party flyers in all weathers and those that wrote to politicians and newspapers trying to get the Albion message told. But hey, it's all just opinions.

It's the fact that people couldn't be bothered to see out the final 10 mins and get behind the team. Look at the East Stand in the picture. It wasn't a school night, and it wasn't bad weather. Who knows if people had stayed and got behind the team they might have got a goal back. The supporters gave up, which lead to the players giving up. Never give up to the final whistle and even if we lost ten nil I would still clap the team off.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I always watch the full 90...but yesterday we had just about had enough by 85......we left had a tinkle and was on the Mill Road p&r petty sharpish..., back in North Somerset by 8:45...

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
Obviously people can do whatever they like - there is no law keeping you in your seat. But these threads are for those people who genuinely believe that the match ain't over until the VERY end. even 3 goals behind is retrievable in the last 5 minutes. These threads are for those people who keep having to stand up to let people out and have to fret in those last few minutes about how the fans aren't getting behind their team as well as the fact that if the team can jam a goal from somewhere it's game on again and all those bouncing away fans can feel a bit of pain for the last couple of minutes. It's stroppy and childish and what makes us fans.

Having left early, the least you can do is let those that stayed have a good moan about it without chugging up your own personal sob stories.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Loyalty is going to the game every week and traveling away buying merchandise, pies, drinks, snacks and programmes at extortionate prices, leaving in the 80th or 85th min when we are 2-0 down doesn't make people 'plastics'. Get real.

It kind of does though. A full Amex with 5 minutes to go roaring the team on to get a goal back has to help the team. It emptying on 80 minutes because we're losing seems to be the very definition of plastic. 'Ive come to watch Brighton win but they're not playing well so I'm going home'. And people wonder why the Amex isn't a fortress.

Every week people come on here and claim some excuse that they have to leave at that point to make it home to see their dying grandmother or something. 15,000 of them all with these pressing needs to get home. Funny how they don't seem to have them when we're winning.

"I don't live in Sussex' is another one we always hear. Were you not aware that the Amex was in Sussex then? Did you not realise how far it was from your house until half way through the game? Why bother coming if it's too far to watch the whole game? There must be other clubs closer where you could enjoy the full 90 minutes.

Every ground has early leavers these days mainly due to the different demographic of football fans in today's sterile Americanised game, but the Amex has to be the worst in the country. It would really piss me off if I was Oscar. If the fans give up, why shouldn't the players?

D

Deleted member 22389

I always watch the full 90...but yesterday we had just about had enough by 85......we left had a tinkle and was on the Mill Road p&r petty sharpish..., back in North Somerset by 8:45...

That's fair enough, Somerset is miles away. It's the people who only have a journey of less than 10 miles where I have to say, why couldn't you just stick it out for 10 mins and get behind the team.
Take the defeat and move on.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
It kind of does though. A full Amex with 5 minutes to go roaring the team on to get a goal back has to help the team. It emptying on 80 minutes because we're losing seems to be the very definition of plastic. 'Ive come to watch Brighton win but they're not playing well so I'm going home'. And people wonder why the Amex isn't a fortress.

Every week people come on here and claim some excuse that they have to leave at that point to make it home to see their dying grandmother or something. 15,000 of them all with these pressing needs to get home. Funny how they don't seem to have them when we're winning.

"I don't live in Sussex' is another one we always hear. Were you not aware that the Amex was in Sussex then? Did you not realise how far it was from your house until half way through the game? Why bother coming if it's too far to watch the whole game? There must be other clubs closer where you could enjoy the full 90 minutes.

Every ground has early leavers these days mainly due to the different demographic of football fans in today's sterile Americanised game, but the Amex has to be the worst in the country. It would really piss me off if I was Oscar. If the fans give up, why shouldn't the players?

Yeah, he should have stayed til the end and had a good booooooo. That would have been much better.

D

Deleted member 22389

Spot on with this post.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
If the fans give up, why shouldn't the players?

Well actually, I thought a good % of the players had given up earlier than the fans......... by 70 mins they were coasting towards defeat and another wedge into their bank accounts......hard life eh?

Dec 18, 2003
Haywards Heath
I stayed until the end, but if customers wish to leave before the end, I have no problem with it. After all they have paid for their ticket and are entitled to leave at any time.

Stop rolling out the same old shit about people can leave if they want to! When you pay for a football ticket, you pay to watch at least 95 minutes of football, not 80! Fans should stay in their seats to the end and support the team!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Maybe the club needs to look into doing an 'Early Leavers' Fanzone with 'Don't Leave Me This Way' blaring out as the faces of the offending thousands are shown on the big screen.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
People CAN leave when they want to - same as they can buy a ticket and not show up. C'est la vie.

Now, who fancies some breakfast?

D

Deleted User X18H

Maybe the club needs to look into doing an 'Early Leavers' Fanzone with 'Don't Leave Me This Way' blaring out as the faces of the offending thousands are shown on the big screen.

That is classic. And may very well be plagiarised later.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Same every week, dredge up another excuse to get out of there as quickly as possible. Miraculously every other of the 15000 (minimum) gone by 90 minutes will have conjured up some other VITAL reason not to be there. Pathetic.

Can't really expect the players to show any fight when the fans themselves are just looking for the first excuse to get out of there. Why even bother going?

Weren't you the one boycotting home games ? Pot, kettle and black.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Stop rolling out the same old shit about people can leave if they want to! When you pay for a football ticket, you pay to watch at least 95 minutes of football, not 80! Fans should stay in their seats to the end and support the team!

No, when you buy a ticket for a football game you are buying the right to sit in that seat for as long or as little as you bloody well choose to.

I bought a curry the other day and didn't eat all of it, am I a bad eater as well?

For what its worth I do think people should stay till the end but they don't and that's their choice to make.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

This. Allocate some blocks for the '80 minuters' and lock everyone else in until the final whistle. Joking aside, we're also suffering from the perception that the transport is terrible (so non STHs will have in their mind 'must get away early if I can' - ie if I think there is no chance of winning) when in fact it has improved massively now.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I bought a curry the other day and didn't eat all of it, am I a bad eater

Yes you are, my mum always said eat your dinner up, me and Dad payed for that. Disgraceful how do you think the chef would feel?.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Are we going to have one of these after every home game or will the usual suspects eventually get bored with it? People leave early when we're winning, more people leave early when we're losing. What exactly is surprising here?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Are we going to have one of these after every home game or will the usual suspects eventually get bored with it? People leave early when we're winning, more people leave early when we're losing. What exactly is surprising here?

Agreed. The less likely we're going to get any kind of result, the bigger the exodus. A second goal on 80 mins tips the balance for those thinking about it. If it had been 1-0 the walkout would've been much slower.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I always stay to the end out of loyalty (yes loyalty, not bragging about it but also not ashamed to say it but it is about loyalty to my Albion, not deserting a sinking ship, the stiff upper lip, the Dunkirk spirit!).

And admittedly in recent times at the Amex, yes, a small part of me, also now really enjoys a game changing late goal from us so I can laugh at the disloyal who have missed it!!

But peopel are free to do as they please so it doesn't really bother me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports