Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Biggest attendance quickest exit

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
It's rather pathetic that you can't explain how you BOYCOTTING games makes you more of a fan than those that just decide to leave early.

I have, about 3 times.

Most of these early leavers wont be leaving early in 3 years time because they'll have ****ed off back to whatever it was they were doing before. I won't have.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
It kind of does though. A full Amex with 5 minutes to go roaring the team on to get a goal back has to help the team. It emptying on 80 minutes because we're losing seems to be the very definition of plastic. 'Ive come to watch Brighton win but they're not playing well so I'm going home'. And people wonder why the Amex isn't a fortress.

Every week people come on here and claim some excuse that they have to leave at that point to make it home to see their dying grandmother or something. 15,000 of them all with these pressing needs to get home. Funny how they don't seem to have them when we're winning.

"I don't live in Sussex' is another one we always hear. Were you not aware that the Amex was in Sussex then? Did you not realise how far it was from your house until half way through the game? Why bother coming if it's too far to watch the whole game? There must be other clubs closer where you could enjoy the full 90 minutes.

Every ground has early leavers these days mainly due to the different demographic of football fans in today's sterile Americanised game, but the Amex has to be the worst in the country. It would really piss me off if I was Oscar. If the fans give up, why shouldn't the players?

Why shouldnt the players give it there all? Maybe because they are getting £10,000 - £25,000 a week to play football, and are aiming to achieve their dreams of playing Premier League football?

I do see what people are saying. But it doesnt make people plastics IMO. And TBF the team shouldnt be affected by a few thousand fans leaving, they should be oblivious to it, they are professional sportsman, it should not effect their decision making. Maybe if 20,000 left, but not 1 or 2,000. And the fact that we where 2-0 down with 5 or 10mins to go, judging by the way we were playing there was no way we were going to get 2 or 3 goals even if we had 15 players on the pitch.

Each to their own I suppose.

Last edited:

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011

Exactly they don't seem to have these pressing matters and issues when we are 3-0 up in the 72 minute which is when people started leaving yesterday !!!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I left on 85 mins. Suddenly the thought of getting the first train and a pint ASAP seemed more important than staying to the bitter end. Mind you having seen the Albion play about 1300 I times I reckon I'm allowed to be a shit fan every so often. I never feel guilty leaving a few minutes early when we are crap and the games up but I never leave early when we are winning or drawing.
It wasn't as if I was going to clap that dross off the field yesterday anyway.

Oh we might have come back with two late goals:smile: ah bless.

Last edited:

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
Can't really expect the players to show any fight when the fans themselves are just looking for the first excuse to get out of there. Why even bother going?

What? Are you joking? They are supposed to be professional footballers, I'm not saying the crowd doesn't have an effect but the least they should be doing is trying - "show any fight"

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
NSC at its finest. Apparently, its OK to leave on 85 minutes but not OK to cheer on your team for the remaining 10 minutes of football left, then give them a boo at the end.

zoogull

zoogull
May 29, 2008
Herstmonceux
Blue Nose and phat baz haven't addressed the question of whether they think the fans leaving early directly affect the players performance.

It's a chicken and egg situation. Brighton fans are quiet for long periods at home, and yet we have won a good % of games especially recently.

Were we 2-0 down because the fans were quiet? Or were we 2-0 down because Ipswich were better than us?

Maybe if some of the passion in this thread was directed to getting behind the team we would see a better atmosphere?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I agree with everything you have posted there. But the point is you shouldn't have to choose. You shouldn't have to choose to leave 10 minutes early or take about an hour longer to get home, because the parking and transport arrangements should be better. If we are big league, and getting 29,000 we are, then all aspects should also be 'big league'.

I don't blame you or others leaving early for all the reasons you have stated with the current set-up, because I have done it myself when time is a factor. But I also fundamentally believe that it harms the chances of the team not having 29,000 people roaring them on to the final whistle, and costs us points. Other teams playing at home with great support get late goals and equalisers, it pressurises the opposition.

So it is clearly in the club's own best interest to make it as easy as possible to leave at the end and get away in REASONABLE time.

I completely disagree what else can the club do? If they want people to stay to the end what they are producing on the pitch needs to improve. West ham away you queue for hours at the tube any club with our sort of attendances and an out of town ground will have earlier leavers especially if we are loosing. I have no issue with people leaving I don't but I live in Brighton. Just let people get on with supporting the club in their own way.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
It kind of does though. A full Amex with 5 minutes to go roaring the team on to get a goal back has to help the team. It emptying on 80 minutes because we're losing seems to be the very definition of plastic. 'Ive come to watch Brighton win but they're not playing well so I'm going home'. And people wonder why the Amex isn't a fortress.

Every week people come on here and claim some excuse that they have to leave at that point to make it home to see their dying grandmother or something. 15,000 of them all with these pressing needs to get home. Funny how they don't seem to have them when we're winning.

"I don't live in Sussex' is another one we always hear. Were you not aware that the Amex was in Sussex then? Did you not realise how far it was from your house until half way through the game? Why bother coming if it's too far to watch the whole game? There must be other clubs closer where you could enjoy the full 90 minutes.

Every ground has early leavers these days mainly due to the different demographic of football fans in today's sterile Americanised game, but the Amex has to be the worst in the country. It would really piss me off if I was Oscar. If the fans give up, why shouldn't the players?

The team has to take some responsibility here though? Best atmosphere at the Amex burnley spurred on by a sense of injustice at the sendings off and remarkable effort from the team. There was no hint of passion or effort in the last 10 minutes they players knew the game was up and unsurprisingly the stadium emptied. Yes the crowd can help but sometime the players need to produce the spark.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Watching 3 years of football chess at The Amex is starting to try the patience of even the most loyal fans.

If I was a JCL there is no way I'd wait til the end out of some respect to the players and manager when they have served up that dross.

We get 10 minutes here, and 20 minutes there, of excitement at The Amex and the rest is often quite dull. I hate the fact that the ONLY thing which matters is promotion to the Premier League. I would love to watch more entertaining football and share that experience with everyone else in the stadium.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Most boring thread ever version 80. Some fans leave early, some don't. It was ever thus, and ever will be. End of. Deal with it. Move on.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
The team has to take some responsibility here though? Best atmosphere at the Amex burnley spurred on by a sense of injustice at the sendings off and remarkable effort from the team. There was no hint of passion or effort in the last 10 minutes they players knew the game was up and unsurprisingly the stadium emptied. Yes the crowd can help but sometime the players need to produce the spark.

Important point. Great atmosphere. Generated by events on the pitch. Not by a few beered up blokes singing.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I haven't read the whole thread, but the stadium empties at 80 mins or 85 mins regardless of how the performance is. It might make some people feel better about it when the team have been poor, that it is a demonstration of their frustration. It shouldn't bother me, but I hate the "entertain me or else..." feeling that comes with it. It doesn't add up for me either becasue the same happened against Wigan despite the fact that we were only a goal behind, playing well and pressing.
Would having the stadium nearly full at the end of the game make a difference, maybe, maybe not, but it wouldn't do any harm.

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
There are always people who leave early at every football club regardless of the score and or excitement value. How many people started to fill the running track at Withdean with 5 minutes to go? Leave off the JCL's and Plastics jibes they are wearing a bit thin. An Ipswich fan asked where all our support comes from, clearly perplexed that we can suddenly fill a 30k stadium (not called tractors for nothing then) A quick explanation of Goldstone-Gillingham-Withdean-Amex put him in the picture added that we took around 40K to Cdiff for the playoff final reshaped his idea of us being "tinpot"

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
There are always people who leave early at every football club regardless of the score and or excitement value. How many people started to fill the running track at Withdean with 5 minutes to go? Leave off the JCL's and Plastics jibes they are wearing a bit thin. An Ipswich fan asked where all our support comes from, clearly perplexed that we can suddenly fill a 30k stadium (not called tractors for nothing then) A quick explanation of Goldstone-Gillingham-Withdean-Amex put him in the picture added that we took around 40K to Cdiff for the playoff final reshaped his idea of us being "tinpot"

You probably didn't need to lie about the play-off final.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here