Bicycle number plates

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
... are an inconvenience, but are going about their work. now horses on the other hand are a bloody nuisence, only for recreation and should be banned from the roads.

Not exactly going up and down West Street or the A23 are they?

Most horse riders don't want to use Country roads but they do to reach bridle paths.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As well you know it's all about priorities.
Of course, but that's not what you said.
'we can't afford to breathalise people (middle aged men) this Christmas because we are attempting to license all cyclists, what's the worst that could happen?'.
Obviously that's not how it should be done. That doesn't mean that we should never look at anything except the evil motor vehicles.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
It staggers me to see all the cyclists on here painting themselves whiter than white.
It would be interesting to see the actual statistics of how many cyclist fatalities were as a result of 'them' not paying due care and attention, always seems to be the driver at fault.
I myself have witnessed drunk cyclists on the roads, they should be random breath tested as well as drivers.
When they are riding over to the left, in single file, as the highway code states they should, it is not a problem.
It's when the pack mentality takes over and they form a gang and ride 4 or 5 across and 50 deep and won't give way to road tax payers, then that is what p*****s us off.
Do what you are supposed to and then you will not become a hazard and get killed, do the other and then.......................well.
I read an earlier response that said, 'I now look over my shoulder, left and right and all around to make sure that it is safe to pull out', so what did you do before!
Car drivers generally adhere to the rules in the Highway Code, gangs of cyclists generally don't, although when riding alone, most do.
If having to pay a duty gets the idiot cyclists off the roads then it will be worth it.
I myself rode for many years, never had a road accident or even came close and followed the Highway Code.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
It staggers me to see all the cyclists on here painting themselves whiter than white.
It would be interesting to see the actual statistics of how many cyclist fatalities were as a result of 'them' not paying due care and attention, always seems to be the driver at fault.
I myself have witnessed drunk cyclists on the roads, they should be random breath tested as well as drivers.
When they are riding over to the left, in single file, as the highway code states they should, it is not a problem.
It's when the pack mentality takes over and they form a gang and ride 4 or 5 across and 50 deep and won't give way to road tax payers, then that is what p*****s us off.
Do what you are supposed to and then you will not become a hazard and get killed, do the other and then.......................well.
I read an earlier response that said, 'I now look over my shoulder, left and right and all around to make sure that it is safe to pull out', so what did you do before!
Car drivers generally adhere to the rules in the Highway Code, gangs of cyclists generally don't, although when riding alone, most do.
If having to pay a duty gets theidiot cyclists off the roads then it will be worth it.
I myself rode for many years, never had a road accident or even came close and followed the Highway Code.

that has only happened very rarely tho hasn't it.
ever been to the west country on a bank holiday? ban them all?

its vehicle emissions duty
been done to death on here, c'mon, raise your game

that was a pedestrian, your'e not really reading posts, just ranting

nearly all motorists speed (which kills people), your statement is so plainly wrong
why do you bother to type it?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Likely, but not always - particularly if the victim was elderly or a child.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-12816829

What do you make of this? Why do cyclists seem to oppose increased regulation and more serious penalties to cycle safely and lawfully?

cant work out how to do a link, but type "cyclists killed in N/W Wales" into your search engine,
what do you make of that?
in answer to your question it would be a waste of money, police and court time, and the
inevitable failure to pay fines would result in prison sentences. it would also discourage
our increasingly morbidly obese children from cycling.
oh, and it would irritate me

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
that has only happened very rarely tho hasn't it.
ever been to the west country on a bank holiday? ban them all?

its vehicle emissions duty
been done to death on here, c'mon, raise your game

that was a pedestrian, your'e not really reading posts, just ranting

nearly all motorists speed (which kills people), your statement is so plainly wrong
why do you bother to type it?

That is your opinion and because I can.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
cant work out how to do a link, but type "cyclists killed in N/W Wales" into your search engine,
what do you make of that?
in answer to your question it would be a waste of money, police and court time, and the
inevitable failure to pay fines would result in prison sentences. it would also discourage
our increasingly morbidly obese children from cycling.
oh, and it would irritate me

They can be tracked down with registration plates, just like motorists.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If having to pay a duty gets the idiot cyclists off the roads then it will be worth it.
So close Oz.
I was already to deconstruct your rambling jibberish, but then I noticed you overcast on your fishing trip.

Next time you're on the riverbank wondering who you'll catch today don't throw 'road tax' into your argument.

Better luck next time.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I was up early today at silly o'clock to take a look down the beach to see if it would be fishable after the recent blow. I drove down to a little side road by Brooklands and walked across the road to check. It was looking pretty weedy so I turned back to the car and noticed 3 cyclists coming along in a staggered fashion, it was 5.50 ish and still pitch black, and of course none of them had any lights although one had a high vis on. The coast road there was not busy but there was steady traffic, in addition there is a cycle path on the promenade from Worthing all the way in to Lancing.

Now the question is, were they being lazy or stupid or both ? All three had functional bikes, ie, for getting to work rather than the lycra claddies and so they looked like they did the route regularly to go to work so A, if you are regularly cycling in the pitch black ( and its getting darker daily) common sense says get lights, B, if you really don't want to pay for the lights, at least use the cycle path where you won't get killed., and there are virtually no pedestrians at 6am.

It is very difficult to understand the mentality of cyclists.

Last edited:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
So close Oz.
I was already to deconstruct your rambling jibberish, but then I noticed you overcast on your fishing trip.

Next time you're on the riverbank wondering who you'll catch today don't throw 'road tax' into your argument.

Better luck next time.

I thought it was a clever piece of satire, Stat. The highway code single file line backed up with the statement I followed the Highway Code, a particular comedic highlight for me. The rather free form formatting just added to the appeal too.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I was up early today at silly o'clock to take a look down the beach to see if it would be fishable after the recent blow. I drove down to a little side road by Brooklands and walked across the road to check. It was looki8ng pretty weedy so I turned back to the car and noticed 3 cyclists coming along in a staggered fashion, it was 5.50 ish and still pitch black, and of course none of them had any lights although one had a high vis on. The coast road there was not busy but there was steady traffic, in addition there is a cycle path on the promenade from Worthing all the way in to Lancing.

Now the question is, were they being lazy or stupid or both ? All three had functional bikes, ie, for getting to work rather than the lycra claddies and so they looked like they did the route regularly to go to work so A, if you are regularly cycling in the pitch black ( and its getting darker daily) common sense says get lights, B, if you really don't want to pay for the lights, at least use the cycle path where you won't get killed., and there are virtually no pedestrians at 6am.

It is very difficult to understand the mentality of cyclists.

There is no excuse for not having any lights on your bike. However, that cycle path is often full of pebbles after stormy weather making it unusable. That would probably be their reason for not using it.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
For those in favour of bicycle number plates can I suggest two courses of action;

1 Make a list of all other road users, who you can identify that annoy you something like this;

Drivers at temporary lights going the opposite direction to you, who keep coming long after the lights have changed in your favour and now you have to wait another full cycle before you can go.
The lazy sods who dug the road up and then knocked off at 4.
Honda Jazz drivers.
Anyone smoking at the wheel
Taxi drivers who think that they have an exemption from using indicators.

Now forward the list to the police along with the number plates, times and locations.

Check to see if that makes you feel any better.

2 Take a quick scan of the court case coverage in your local paper;

Note that an SP30 attracts a fine of £60, for driving at 37Mph, whereas if you drive the same road at 50MPH crash your car, flee the scene and are later found to be under the influence of drink and or drugs, you could be fined £200.
Note that these fines are supposed to be means tested so if someone driving a Range Rover gets fined a couple of hundred pounds, does that mean someone riding a rusty old bike through a red light would be fined pennies ?

Take a reality check on this one and decide if you really want to do more than just let off steam about this on an Internet forum.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Wow, just wow.
So the 3000+ deaths on the road caused by this metal box protection isn't an issue?

When the drunk, drugged, incapable, impatient, red light jumping, speeding, death machines are under control then by all means go down to the next rung on the ladder.

But lets sort out the needless deaths caused by cars and vans first.

While encouraging people to use a form of transport that won't kill them or their family, if used properly, or anybody else.

Hopefully Wrong Direction will be along soon with his brilliant and witty remarks.
That'll sink this pointless baiting thread to the bowels of page 2
Hello stat, didn't notice you'd mentioned me, was too busy stuck behind one of your lycra wearing soft lad friends weren't I
[emoji468] [emoji598] [emoji590] [emoji597] [emoji603] [emoji604] [emoji600] [emoji594] [emoji595] [emoji592]

chamakh_attack

Feb 14, 2014
I'm not sure where the cars versus bikes argument has come from. The thread started with the suggested notion of requiring cyclists to be able to be identified so if they need to be brought to book over their actions then they can be.

Yes when driven badly cars and other motorised vehicles are extremely dangerous. Bicycles, less so but still dangerous. Even if the cyclists actions do not directly cause a collision what about other road users having to compensate for their actions, being distracted by watching out for them when they should be there for example?

Yes many motorists break the law, but they have had to take a driving test, they have to pay an excise duty, they have to pay insurance, they must hold a license and their vehicle must be registered and identifiable.

Anyone - and I mean anyone can ride a bike on the public highway. There is no law in place for them to have even seen the highway code let alone understand it.

Yes, very often a cyclist's poor actions can cause mainly damage to them and/or their bike. Does that mean they should be allowed to do it? Is it an extra strain on the emergency services?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Yes many motorists break the law, but they have had to take a driving test, they have to pay an excise duty, they have to pay insurance, they must hold a license and their vehicle must be registered and identifiable.

*cough* Tax Band A *cough*

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
He did say many and I would think that Band A is very much in the minority at present. But as he states, anyone can cycle on the roads.

Equally anyone can walk or run on the roads too - the roads were around long before either the motor car or Vehicle Excise Duty was invented. The fact of the matter is that no one group has exclusive use of the roads, and to that end talk of licenses, insurance, or VED is somewhat irrelevant.

What is relevant is the Highway Code, road users should be aware of what is in it and be considerate of other road users no-matter what mode of transport they are using.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports