Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bicycle number plates

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I suspect the main reason the car drivers get so irate is because they cant do the same thing!

Car drivers speed all the time and constantly moan about speed cameras stopping them breaking the law and legal parking enforcement stopping them break the law, yet they get so worked up about a cyclist going through a red light, which most likely hasn't been put there with the cyclist in mind, rather the drivers of extremely heavy and large metal lumps travelling at 30+ mph!

Is precisely the ACTUAL reason

Yoda

English & European
Some cyclists, though, just do it as a matter of course, not just as a "can I get through on amber" or similar thing.

And there in lies the problem with a lot of motorists. When a light is changing from green to red, Amber also means STOP unless it is too late to do so. Not I'll chance it and try and get through. This then leads to some passing the light on red.

chamakh_attack

Feb 14, 2014
Just a minor thing with all the heated debate going on here regarding two tonne death machines and speeding road cyclists.

When I am walking a path and a cyclist approaches me from behind at their preferred speed, they ring their bell and often hack on past, there doesn't seem much consideration for slowing down or even waiting or god forbid stopping and putting their foot down.

Therefore when I am driving and a bike is slowing me from my preferred speed I shall use my horn to let them know I will be hacking past them.

I will echo that the vast majority of all road users (*cars, taxis, vans, trucks, lorries, buses and cyclists) do so safely and considerately and we only remember the ones who do not.

*Obviously I do not include BMW drivers in that.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
What on earth are you on about ? If there is a red light ( and it's working ) there is a legal obligation for motorists and cyclists to obey it. That's all I said.

NOTE: NO MOTORISTS WERE HURT IN THE JUMPING OF THIS LIGHT

i sometimes go up one-way streets in the wrong direction; FOR SHITS AND GIGGLES:facepalm:

just a bit of fun; i have an ongoing survey and you have the opportunity to win first prize.
are you a daily mail reader? if so; fire off an angry missive to the editor about your non-issue.
your blood pressure must be a concern poppet, regular exercise will help with that; ride a bike, and
then you can get away with next to nothing too:thumbsup:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
But lets sort out the needless deaths caused by cars and vans first.

In general, I agree with most stuff you say, but this one needs calling out...

Why sort out car deaths FIRST?

Should ALL medical research be abandoned until we sort out, say, heart disease? No. We can tackle more than one medical condition at a time.

Should we improve drivers' behaviour? Yes. Should we sort out the lycra louts at the same time? Yes!

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Just a minor thing with all the heated debate going on here regarding two tonne death machines and speeding road cyclists.

When I am walking a path and a cyclist approaches me from behind at their preferred speed, they ring their bell and often hack on past, there doesn't seem much consideration for slowing down or even waiting or god forbid stopping and putting their foot down.

is that satire? ooo your'e so edgy. oh no i get it,
you are being moronic in lieu of a sense humour. you are extremely
reminiscent of your lord and total dick; clarkson

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
if a tree should fall thru a red light and there is not a policeman there to witness it, is it illegal?

NOTE: NO MOTORISTS WERE HURT IN THE JUMPING OF THIS LIGHT

i sometimes go up one-way streets in the wrong direction; FOR SHITS AND GIGGLES:facepalm:

just a bit of fun; i have an ongoing survey and you have the opportunity to win first prize.
are you a daily mail reader? if so; fire off an angry missive to the editor about your non-issue.
your blood pressure must be a concern poppet, regular exercise will help with that; ride a bike, and
then you can get away with next to nothing too:thumbsup:

You might want to check your house for a monkey on the loose - he's been at your keyboard. It's the only explanation for a post so bizarre and random, supposedly from someone that has passed through some sort of education system.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
and a lot of angry, fat slob motorists with high blood pressure;
whilst i'm smirking
Ha I'm far from a fat slob with high blood pressure, you smirk all you want, I don't need to wear tight lycra designed for hot women not middle aged men!

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
You might want to check your house for a monkey on the loose - he's been at your keyboard. It's the only explanation for a post so bizarre and random, supposedly from someone that has passed through some sort of education system.

you mean you dont understand it
ask an adult

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
you mean you dont understand it
ask an adult

It can be quite difficult to understand something barely written in recognisable English. Maybe your username gives away your age.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
And there in lies the problem with a lot of motorists. When a light is changing from green to red, Amber also means STOP unless it is too late to do so. Not I'll chance it and try and get through. This then leads to some passing the light on red.

Yes, I agree. I wasn't trying to excuse the practice of going through on amber. Just making the point that some cyclists would blatantly go through a red light even if it had been red for 10 minutes.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Ha I'm far from a fat slob with high blood pressure, you smirk all you want, I don't need to wear tight lycra designed for hot women not middle aged men!

i wasnt refering to you wrongun, heaven forfend. i find i can cycle in unassuming clobber to cover my enormous modesty.
i am a stealth cyclist, so i can do it PISSED:thumbsup::thumbsup:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
But the second one simply isn't true. No way do most drivers obey the highway code, most haven't a clue. I was driving along the A259 yesterday in the pouring rain and well over half of the cars didn't have their lights on. Drivers are becoming lazier by the year.

And then there are middle lane drivers on motorways - not that this will affect cyclists at all......

It's not "the fast lane". The inside lane is the fast lane, the other two, or three or whatever lanes are overtaking lanes on normal motorways.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
This is absolutely true.

However, due to a lack of regulation and punishment, the proportion of cyclists who disobey the rules of the road is unquestionably far higher.

From experience (used to annually drive up to 20,000 miles a year) I would say around 1 in 20 motorists do something that is blatantly unlawful (perhaps if you exclude speeding on a DC/MW), with cyclists I would say it is closer to 1 in 4.

why would you feel the need to exclude speeding when it is a factor in approx 50% of the thousands of road deaths every year?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
This is absolutely true.

However, due to a lack of regulation and punishment, the proportion of cyclists who disobey the rules of the road is unquestionably far higher.

From experience (used to annually drive up to 20,000 miles a year) I would say around 1 in 20 motorists do something that is blatantly unlawful (perhaps if you exclude speeding on a DC/MW), with cyclists I would say it is closer to 1 in 4.
Well I'm questioning it. So I've proved you wrong immediately... and I drive a similar distance.

Today I drove approx 150 miles (about 30 miles of which was on the motorway, 30 miles in London). I witnessed the following (off the top of my head):

1 absolute dick of a cyclist (on a Boris Bike near canary wharf) playing with his phone whilst cycling and swerving across the road almost into the path of a truck.

Circa 2,000 cars driving without their lights on in torrential rain.

Circa 1,000 cars speeding.

1 car turning right across my path, without indicating.

3 cars parked on zig-zag lines at crossings.

1 car driving in lane 3 of the M25 at circa 65mph with both lanes 1 and 2 completely empty. (He had his iphone headphones on and was gripping the steering wheel for dear life).

Circa 50 cars driving in the middle lane when not overtaking.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have no problems with cyclists on the roads - there's a few that let the side down by disobeying the basic traffic laws; they should be dealt with by the law. It's the ones on the pavement (with or without lights) that really p___ me off - I believe the correct sanction for that is a £60 fixed penalty - oh, if only that was applied de rigeur!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here