Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BHA January transfer watch

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I wish I had an insight into Tony Bloom's thought processes, I really do.

Just so you could understand what's going on in transfer windows? To make millions?
RE the former: the club under Bloom have made it clear (and constantly verify this claim) that all transfers are between the player and the two clubs, alongside their representatives. It's not going to change in a hurry.
I suspect that Bloom is of the view that we've got four decent strikers, and he'll only supplement if the right player comes along. I'm not convinced that Kermogant is the type of player we need, and that may well be the club's thinking too.
The good news is in the summer we won't need any major overhaul to the squad (unless we go up) although, that said, what we will need is one or two top quality strikers (one to replace Wilson, the other to replace Zamora, if necessary).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The risk I can see is IF we don't manage to get a striker in, come the end of the season, if we don't go up, it will be used as a stick to hit the club with, as it will be seen as a massive contributory factor.

I'm right behind you. The question is, is your stick bigger than my stick?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The good news is in the summer we won't need any major overhaul to the squad (unless we go up) although, that said, what we will need is one or two top quality strikers (one to replace Wilson, the other to replace Zamora, if necessary).
We're also going to need to be looking to replace several ageing defenders - maybe not immediately this summer, but in the not too distant future it will be an issue.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We're also going to need to be looking to replace several ageing defenders - maybe not immediately this summer, but in the not too distant future it will be an issue.

Actually, for several of them, I think it may have to be this summer, certainly if we want to be a force again next season.

Greer, as much as I love him, at 35, is seemingly becoming more injury prone and less mobile, and Calderon even now, is nowhere near the force that he once was. Bruno seems a tad more sprightly, but even he can't keep putting the same level of performance in for too much longer.

And that's not counting the likes of Bobby Zee, who only has a contract up until the end of the season anyway.

No, I think, the whole squad needs new and younger blood, before we kick off next season, whichever division that may be in.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Actually, for several of them, I think it may have to be this summer, certainly if we want to be a force again next season.

Greer, as much as I love him, at 35, is seemingly becoming more injury prone and less mobile, and Calderon even now, is nowhere near the force that he once was. Bruno seems a tad more sprightly, but even he can't keep putting the same level of performance in for too much longer.

And that's not counting the likes of Bobby Zee, who only has a contract up until the end of the season anyway.

No, I think, the whole squad needs new and younger blood, before we kick off next season, whichever division that may be in.

I read this and other posts and we have all subliminally accepted life in the Championship next season haven't we.....

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Not just Bobby. Calde's only contracted until the end of the season, and I think maybe Bruno too.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I haven't subliminally accepted life in the Championship next season, but it remains the most likely option. In terms of defence, I don't think we'll need to do too much if we remain in the Championship. I think both Bruno and Greer will be good for another season, the former especially. And there's Rosenoir at RB and then Goldson, Dunk and Hunemeier at CB. It's decent cover at LB that will probably be the most urgent priority, and perhaps a younger RB.
We'll have to spend a fortune up-front though.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
While I've got you, and I know it's a one for a different thread, but just how cold was it when I was walking home on Tuesday evening about 11?

Tuesday night. Hove?

Well, the official Met Office site at Shoreham shows the temp to be -2.3C at 10pm and -2.1C at 11pm.

However, on the Metoffice WOW site here:

http://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/tabular...01/2016&comparisonSite=&fieldsToShow=dry_bulb

For Woodingdean it shows as only -0.2C or so.

http://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/tabular...01/2016&comparisonSite=&fieldsToShow=dry_bulb

Whereas Shoreham College shows -0.5 or so. In both locations the temp was actually rising toward midnight.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Tuesday night. Hove?

Well, the official Met Office site at Shoreham shows the temp to be -2.3C at 10pm and -2.1C at 11pm.

However, on the Metoffice WOW site here:

For Woodingdean it shows as only -0.2C or so.

Whereas Shoreham College shows -0.5 or so. In both locations the temp was actually rising toward midnight.

Thanks for the link. Was in Brighton actually (and I can't get the wow site to go back beyond 24 hours). My experience of it was that it was one of the coldest I've encountered in Brighton, but those figures seem to suggest otherwise.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Thanks for the link. Was in Brighton actually (and I can't get the wow site to go back beyond 24 hours). My experience of it was that it was one of the coldest I've encountered in Brighton, but those figures seem to suggest otherwise.

To get data for past days, click on table view or graph view, and you can select a date range.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Just passing on info so take it or leave it. We had a transfer target at the club yesterday and they were back again today. I was not told a name but I got the impression it was someone reasonably well known. They have not signed but might do imminently. I might get told who it was if it all comes to nothing. Otherwise we will all find out at approximately the same time.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Just passing on info so take it or leave it. We had a transfer target at the club yesterday and they were back again today. I was not told a name but I got the impression it was someone reasonably well known. They have not signed but might do imminently. I might get told who it was if it all comes to nothing. Otherwise we will all find out at approximately the same time.

Interesting, has your source been right before?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I love this kind of stuff

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Beginning to get a little bit brassed off now. Are we making bids for anyone? Kermoghant could have done a decent job for us, scored a few goals, and wouldn't have broken the bank in doing it.

If we end up without a new striker come the end of the window, I'm going to be very disallusioned indeed.

I wish I had an insight into Tony Bloom's thought processes, I really do.

Whilst im getting frustrated at the lack of incoming striker id have been gutted if we had paid.either a loan or transfer fee for kermorgant. I dont think he is the answer.right now

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Post of the week (and I'm not taking the piss)!
Just the right balance of information and (lack of) detail to inspire hope and keep people hanging on here for the next few days :thumbsup:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Excellent. That is good to know, hope it's the striker.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Yes and i believe they are passing on genuine information this time. However, we had not concluded a deal with the player at the point I was told (today).

Which player did they correctly forecast previously?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here