Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Better Call Saul

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Maybe BB does get good ( I doubt it) but you cannot seriously tell me series 1 is brilliant TV? It's not even good TV.

Series 1of Breaking Bad was quite bad and series 2 wasn't great either but it got better after that. I thought the problem with it was that there were too many episodes (like a lot of American dramas). If they had only done a quarter of the episodes I think the programme would have been much better. I persisted through the first couple if series because people said it started to get good at series 3 but I did watch it whilst doing other things which helped me getting through it.

I've enjoyed the first two episodes of Better Call Saul and it seems to be moving on at a better pace than Breaking Bad.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
It's got 'yer man' from Spinal Tap playing Saul's brother.

Bit far fetched having the Mexican cartel dude from BB getting involved in Saul's early years. Not sure if there was supposed to be history between them that was referenced in BB, but I don't remember it if there was.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
The first episodes was slow, but thats what you expect, as theres always alot of character building, building up story lines and linking things together etc. Whats good is every episode has improved IMO, lasts nights one where Mike played a bigger part was quality! Its just annoying you have to wait a week for the next one, I might wait and let a few build up now so I can session 3 or 4 in a row :lol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Really enjoyed epsode 3, felt like it really got going. Important relationships established, plots developing, another interesting flashback.

Agree. And crucially for me there is a good balance between the humour and the serious drama. Saul was the comedy element in BB so I worried the spin-off might be too goofy. So far so, very, good.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Here's Johnny! Loved it.

You know what he becomes and where he ends up, so its good to start building a picture of how he got there, you now know how he first met his right hand man Mike and it looks like he starts to turn bent and win cases if he sorts out this mess with Nacho.

The flashback was interesting, however it was hard to tell how long ago it was.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Other BB spin offs?

You could have Jesse's two stoner mates in a Cheech and Chong style show.

Marie in a show about her shoplifting sideline.

Gus Fring playing Chris Hughton in a biopic of his Newcastle managerial career and largely set in a fast food restaurant called Byker Fried Chicken that Chris goes to when he finishes up at St James's Park at the end of each day.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
Other BB spin offs?

Gus Fring playing Chris Hughton in a biopic of his Newcastle managerial career and largely set in a fast food restaurant called Byker Fried Chicken that Chris goes to when he finishes up at St James's Park at the end of each day.

Kemy Agustein starring as Saul Goodman's minder.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The problem with this, and all prequels, is there's no jeopardy.

Sure Saul was unlikely to get his head blown off while waiting for a front door to open in BB.
But we know for a fact it isn't going to happen in BCS.

I'm enjoying it so far, and will see it right through.
But if all we're given is a smarmy lawyer who's going to slowly get smarmier, while talking himself out of scrapes, it's pretty thin.
They'll end up with the whole audience just waiting for Mr White to walk through his door.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Other BB spin offs?

How about Junior and newly widowed Skyler try and pick up the pieces of their devastated lives? Now that would have been brave.

My complaint about BCS (and it's a fairly minor one) is it is exactly the same story as BB. Main focus on a white male character, doing things for the "right" reasons, getting sucked into trouble as a victim of circumstance.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
What does everyone think so far?

BCS got me in the mood for Meth so much, I've started re-watching Breaking Bad.

Tuesday's episode was the weakest so far (imo) but interested in seeing where the characters can go from here.
I just can't see how they're going to flesh-out multiple seasons on Saul Goodman's rise to mediocrity.

Still love it though.

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
The problem with this, and all prequels, is there's no jeopardy.

Sure Saul was unlikely to get his head blown off while waiting for a front door to open in BB.
But we know for a fact it isn't going to happen in BCS.

I'm enjoying it so far, and will see it right through.
But if all we're given is a smarmy lawyer who's going to slowly get smarmier, while talking himself out of scrapes, it's pretty thin.
They'll end up with the whole audience just waiting for Mr White to walk through his door.

The bigger problem for me is that the season story arc isn't emerging clearly enough. It's strong on an episodic level, but there's no engaging 'meta' (other than the brother's illness, which doesn't quite cut it). I suspect that will kick in, but they need to hurry up now. It's in danger of becoming vague in terms of the longer narrative.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The bigger problem for me is that the season story arc isn't emerging clearly enough. It's strong on an episodic level, but there's no engaging 'meta' (other than the brother's illness, which doesn't quite cut it). I suspect that will kick in, but they need to hurry up now. It's in danger of becoming vague in terms of the longer narrative.
That's kind of my point, we know the story arc.

Jimmy is stumbling around learning the thing we already know, but he doesn't - how to become Saul.

When the pieces fit together and Saul is 'created' the show is pretty much up, because everyone watching then is just waiting for Jessie.

Mike has always been a good character.
They've baited him through the first half of the series, now it would seem he needs a lawyer.
Then we're back to the original prequel problem.

We already know Mike, we know their relationship, there won't be too many surprises along the way.

I'm enjoying Jimmy, maybe I'm over thinking the rest, but it's certainly not 'appointment' TV.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
What does everyone think so far?

BCS got me in the mood for Meth so much, I've started re-watching Breaking Bad.

Tuesday's episode was the weakest so far (imo) but interested in seeing where the characters can go from here.
I just can't see how they're going to flesh-out multiple seasons on Saul Goodman's rise to mediocrity.

Still love it though.

I am really enjoying it. Recent episode was slow but you know that it is buildling up to some serious shit.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Loved BB and the first few episodes of BCS, but it's proving to be a bit disjointed and frankly a bit underwhelming, as much as you don't want it to be. The genius of 'It's all good man' though! Had anyone else realised that before now or is it just me and the missus who are a bit dense?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here