Charles
Camacho
Boniek
Bergkamp
Finney
Pele
Messi
Best

Had to re do it again hopefully the above is compliant.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not really.

I appreciate we are in lockdown but you've replaced the very arty "name your best ever side and defend it" with the very fact-based "name a team that's never played for the same club" which you can do with a few Google searches if you need to.

When I'm chatting to my mates in the pub about football or, currently, whatsapping or chatting on Zoom, it's the merits of players we'd be interested in, not where they played.

I want to compare Cruyff's turns against Roy Keane's violence against Iniesta's brilliance against Beckham's free kicks. In this I can't.

Stop being such a curmudgeon and follow [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] advice :thumbsup:

Must confess that I can’t be arsed to do the groundwork on this thread challenge but good luck to those who do....and seem to fail anyway :lolol:

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Beckenbauer and Pele both played for New York Cosmos

Also Boniek & Charles both played for Juventus. This really is quite difficult. Lawrenson for Beckenbauer, Eusebio for Boniek no need for a midfield.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Also Boniek & Charles both played for Juventus. This really is quite difficult. Lawrenson for Beckenbauer, Eusebio for Boniek no need for a midfield.

I made a laughable first attempt at this and then went back to try to do it properly. This was torture in a nice sort of way.. I'm not trying to be a smart-arse, but on the 'in your lifetime' issue, I didn't include John Charles as I'm not ancient enough to see him play. I just about remember Yashin and I'm 65. Perhaps you are of similar or even earilier vintage. (I guess if we wanted to be really 'clever' we could include any player who was still alive when we were born.) Note that I'm not sufficiently confident to post my latest effort. I even resorted to the 'great players who have played for one club' sites!

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
I made a laughable first attempt at this and then went back to try to do it properly. This was torture in a nice sort of way.. I'm not trying to be a smart-arse, but on the 'in your lifetime' issue, I didn't include John Charles as I'm not ancient enough to see him play. I just about remember Yashin and I'm 65. Perhaps you are of similar or even earilier vintage. (I guess if we wanted to be really 'clever' we could include any player who was still alive when we were born.) Note that I'm not sufficiently confident to post my latest effort. I even resorted to the 'great players who have played for one club' sites!

I'm a few years younger than you, the opening post stated
The challenge is to create the worlds best XI that have played whilst you have been alive

I sort of had my no brainers like Yashin, McGrain, Pele, Finney, Charles who could be grouped amongst best ever for their country (at least by position) without having played for fashionable clubs except Charles for Juventus. Then Messi who I believe to be 2nd only to GOAT Pele.
The other 5 were a real head ache, I wanted Ronaldo but I would of had to exclude 3 other players. I'm quite pleased with the end result of Eusebio and Lawrenson being in there. Probably need to replace Bergkamp with a French or Dutch defensive midfield player.

Yashin
McGrain
Lawrenson
Charles
Camacho
Bergkamp ?
Messi
Finney
Pele
Eusebio
Best

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

I sort of had my no brainers like Yashin, McGrain, Pele, Finney, Charles who could be grouped amongst best ever for their country (at least by position) without having played for fashionable clubs except Charles for Juventus. Then Messi who I believe to be 2nd only to GOAT Pele.
The other 5 were a real head ache, I wanted Ronaldo but I would of had to exclude 3 other players. I'm quite pleased with the end result of Eusebio and Lawrenson being in there. Probably need to replace Bergkamp with a French or Dutch defensive midfield player.

Yashin
McGrain
Lawrenson
Charles
Camacho
Bergkamp ?
Messi
Finney
Pele
Eusebio
Best

Nice. Good to see Pele, Best and Messi play in the same team, not to mention an BHA one in Lawro. (It's certainly an attack-minded set up!)

Zamo25

May 16, 2019
C.Ronaldo and Messi BOTH have to be in the Best World XI.

Simply the two best players ever to grace the earth. They are on a different planet to anyone else, so how can either one be omitted?

How can C Ron be sacrificed by so many for having played for "too many clubs", when this is probably the largest contributing factor to him being the GOAT!!!

Great game, love it OP.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
C.Ronaldo and Messi BOTH have to be in the Best World XI.

Simply the two best players ever to grace the earth. They are on a different planet to anyone else, so how can either one be omitted?

How can C Ron be sacrificed by so many for having played for "too many clubs", when this is probably the largest contributing factor to him being the GOAT!!!

Great game, love it OP.

No other players allowed from Real Madrid, Man U or Juventus. And no Eusebio who's stats are right up there. I lose 4 players.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Matty Ryan

Kevin Beattie
Baresi
Franz Beckenbauer

Puskas
Platini
Falcao

George Best
Maradona
Kenny Dalglish
Drogba

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Yashi (USSR)

Lahm (Germany)
Grieg (Scotland)
Kompany (Belgium)
Maldini (Italy)

Lato (Poland)
Rapinoe (USA)
Gerrard (England)
Ronaldo (Portugal)

Pele (Brazil)
Messi (Argentina)

OK, I've been a bit creative including Rapinoe. But no-one said they all had to be blokes. And on current form she's better than some of my others right now.

Zamo25

May 16, 2019
GK Lloris (France)

DEF Godin (Uruguay)
DEF Marquinhos (Brazil)
DEF Boateng (Germany)
DEF Robertson (Scotland)

MID Vicente (Spain)
CDM Gattusso (Italy)
MID Cahill (Australia)

RW Messi (Argentina)
LW C. Ronaldo (Portugal)

CF Shearer (England)

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Are you allowed 2 Germans,2 Italian's and 2 Dutchmen ???

That was my first thought as a good starting point. However, I then thought I might struggle as more than likely the Germans will have both played for Bayern and the Dutch for Ajax. The Italians might be easier as could be across both the Milan teams and Juventus.

My starting point is technically 1965 but will start at about 1970 as obviously don't recall 1966 up to that point

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham

Yashin
McGrain
Lawrenson
Charles
Camacho
Bergkamp ?
Messi
Finney
Pele
Eusebio
Best
Lawrenson and Finney? Think about it:D

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Lawrenson and Finney? Think about it:D

They both played for Preston, revised team. 4-2-4 formation.

Yashin
McGrain
Lawrenson
Charles
Camacho
Matthaus
Messi
Matthews
Pele
Eusebio
Best

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports