Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

best two strikers of the withdean era

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Scott Ramsey and chris McPhee

There are several we have been blessed with, including Savage and Leon Knight (for all his sins).

Goalscorers haven't all been forwards either.

Coca Cola Kid was a talent seemingly wasted - he apparently thought wasted on us, unfortunately.

With Glenn Murray pulling his socks up and tempering his poaching a bit so as not to get offside so much - I'd have to pick him and Zamora. Forster not far behind Murray, but he got here a bit later in his career otherwise they'd have been tougher to choose between.

Last edited:

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Forster? He thought he was too good for the club, Murray is much better and he has proven it this season.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Forster & Zamora ... although Lee Steele should be considered, as what I'm not sure, but he should be considered!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Zamora and Murray, both champions. I'm sure L. Knight would be held in much higher regard than he is now had his attitude been better. To my mind the Play Off winning team was nowhere near as good as the two Championship winning sides, Knight's goals are all but forgotten thanks to subsequent events.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Voted for Murray & Zamora, I think they are clearly the best two. 3rd Forster 4th Knight.

Very surprised Lee Steele wasn't on the list. He was unfortunate for the most part we played a 4-5-1 system with Zamora up front. When he did play and more importantly fit he was a menace. I can recall a 3/4 month spell where he played up front with Zamora and if you didn't know them, you would struggle to name the player who would go on to play Premiership football.

His star shone brightly, but not for long enough to make it into the side or even this shortlist. When you look at some of the names and their goal scoring records it must be a mistake or someone needs their head read.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Including two defenders in a poll of great strikers is a bit of a sad indictment of how bad Albion were at times in the Withdean era, no?

Yes you're right ... except back-to-back championships, promotions, Man City League Cup victory, Portsmouth FA Cup victory, Bobby, Nicky & Glenn knocking them in for fun, OGH and some great Midfielders ... other than that I'm with you!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Voted for Murray & Zamora, I think they are clearly the best two. 3rd Forster 4th Knight.

Very surprised Lee Steele wasn't on the list. He was unfortunate for the most part we played a 4-5-1 system with Zamora up front. When he did play and more importantly fit he was a menace. I can recall a 3/4 month spell where he played up front with Zamora and if you didn't know them, you would struggle to name the player who would go on to play Premiership football.

His star shone brightly, but not for long enough to make it into the side or even this shortlist. When you look at some of the names and their goal scoring records it must be a mistake or someone needs their head read.

I think Lee Steele's goal against Bristol City should be in the top five Withdean goals list though. Possibly at number two behind Cullip's Cheaterfield winner and just ahead of Bobby's bamboozling of the Reading defence or turn against Halifax.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Zamora and Murray for me, but as a partnership, I'm not sure they would have worked as well as say, Zamora and Knight.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Zamora and Murray.

Although I've also enjoyed watching Nicky Forster and Lee Steele. And Leon Knight was a magician in that first season with us.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Zamora (obviously) and Forster

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Literally a coin toss between Forster and Murray. Forster, I don't think, ever got over 20 goals and of course no Champions medal but he never played in the right team for it - in his first season with us he was at least as good as Murray has been this season though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here