Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Best support from away fans at the Amex

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ok for a novelty section. Wouldn't want to be in there or near it tbf other than a one off, which I'm sure would be fun. Once. Then quickly tiresome. It's a communal bonding section and that's about the sum of it. Not knocking it as I'm sure they love it and while the Amex, like all English crowds, can be too quiet, too library-like, too often I much prefer the spontaneous chants, the humour, the sudden anger at a foul. Even love the odd ooh it's a corner and ahhh you're shite keeper chants still. I remember a game at the Amex, early days, small cup crowd, evening game and some Spanish visitors infront of me found the keeper chant and the Who?! shouts by the crowd at the substitutions hilarious. That's the English game and hope it stays that way.
This also - there's no humour, no subtlety, no spontaneity, no personality. Just a wall of noise. Impressive for a bit, then really, really boring.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Anyone that was close enough to see: did the fans in their front row hold up their banners for the whole game?

I don't see how else they could have been upright, but surely your arms would be giving up pretty quickly.
Yes they did, under very strict instructions from the lieutenants...

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
The Marseille fans were absolutely brilliant to watch - all about supporting their team passionately ( and ignoring some of the Brighton knobs who seemed to want to flick the bird at them or shout f*** off all the time). It's the shame that the Amex cannot generate the same
Sitting near the Marseille fans I can assure you that they spent a great deal of their time shouting abuse and giving the nearest Albion fans the finger and various other unsavoury gesticulations. And I would never do that to my mother...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I don’t find these all male European supports that impressive. Reminds me of 70s Britain. I’m glad we have moved on from that. Great night last night but we couldn’t hear the Marseille fans as we were in E1A.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
remember Wrexham fans being very loud in one of Poyet's many ill-fated cup games

It wasn't the Amex but who was at the FC United of Manchester game? Think they're the loudest English side I've experienced

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
remember Wrexham fans being very loud in one of Poyet's many ill-fated cup games

It wasn't the Amex but who was at the FC United of Manchester game? Think they're the loudest English side I've experienced
Grimsby fans were great last season, too.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there

Yes, I remember that. It was my daughter's first game. She was quite taken by the Wrexham noise. Then she turned to me and asked, "when is it our turn to sing, daddy?"

She was 24 years old.

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)
Personally thought last night was a superb atmosphere. I was in East lower next to their fans and they were very loud, but could still hear the North at times.

Watching their support last night was thoroughly enjoyable, ditto Athens who probably just shaded it for entertainment value. One thing that’s certain is this European competition is definitely addictive and I hope we have a prolonged stay this season and in future 😁

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I don’t understand the whining about away fans being more choreographed. I see nothing wrong with that. To me that makes the support even more compelling and intimidating. That big banner reading TOUT POUR L'OM summed it all up. They were absolute nutters who would do anything for their team.
Thats the thing with these ultras though. It may be impressive to watch, but ultimately the vast majority are absolute nutters and mostly not the kind of folk most rational people would want to spend much time with - came across a lot of groups of the marseille fans and most were pretty bloody rough. OK they're passionate about L'OM or whoever but what else have they got going on in their lives (generalising)?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
No no, they were heavily searched.
The Stewards Office is currently in possession of 1,791 aluminium flasks, 600 bags of A3 size, and 140 umbrellas that looked "too pointy for my liking".

One steward, asking a Marseille Ultra in balaclava... "What do you call this??" upon seeing a military-grade smoke grenade, was met with "c'est mon hand warmerrr".

"Oh, right you are, on you go"
Biffa must be Rubbing their skips together with all the corks and bottle tops To dispose of.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Thats the thing with these ultras though. It may be impressive to watch, but ultimately the vast majority are absolute nutters and mostly not the kind of folk most rational people would want to spend much time with - came across a lot of groups of the marseille fans and most were pretty bloody rough. OK they're passionate about L'OM or whoever but what else have they got going on in their lives (generalising)?
Living in Provence must really suck. It’s too hot, there are loads of French, most restaurants only seem to serve you if you are sat outside in a nice square, the women all seem to think they are gorgeous for some reason, it’s full of tourists. Then they come here and see how close we are to Crawley and it must make them wonder where their lives took a wrong direction …..

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Inside the away end - absolute class

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
This.

The volume is impressive but it leaves me really cold, as it doesn't react in any way to the football. I'm guessing this is because it's all orchestrated by a fella who isn't watching the game and so not in tune with the ebb and flow.

The dynamics are completely flat - I actually think it's kinda shit, in a way. There's no feeling of building momentum, no "GO OOOONNNN!!!" when a player is through on goal. No reaction whatsoever to their own players efforts.

If you were a player of theirs, would you really find it inspiring when you know that nothing you do will in any way influence it?

I'm biased obviously but I far prefer the English crowd noises/reactions etc.
Football can be like a gig . . . Play a song, get a feel good reaction, the band play up, atmosphere builds, performasnce enhanced, everyone's a winner. Ebbs and flows . . .

@scooter1 will testify ( I hope! 🙄 ) . . .sometimes you can play your best but the cheers are elsewhere ( gig at a wedding for example) fair enough, given the event for some, but difficult for a band to have much soul when peoples emotions/priorities are detached. Probably explains why wedding bands are shit actually!

Last edited:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Living in Provence must really suck. It’s too hot, there are loads of French, most restaurants only seem to serve you if you are sat outside in a nice square, the women all seem to think they are gorgeous for some reason, it’s full of tourists. Then they come here and see how close we are to Crawley and it must make them wonder where their lives took a wrong direction …..
I mean there is all that but living in the banlieues of Marseille wouldn't be much fun, and there's lots of them - it's a pretty bloody rough city outside the tourist areas. Not saying their fans all live in the banlieues of course but it's not all rosy in provence - lots of poverty too

Ftr I'd quite happily live in Provence for the reasons you mentioned (bar the heat of the summer nowadays)!

scooter1

How soon is now?
Football can be like a gig . . . Play a song, get a feel good reaction, the band play up, atmosphere builds, performasnce enhanced, everyone's a winner. Ebbs and flows . . .

@scooter1 will testify ( I hope! 🙄 ) . . .sometimes you can play your best but the cheers are elsewhere ( gig at a wedding for example) fair enough, given the event for some, but difficult for a band to have much soul when peoples emotions/priorities are detached. Probably explains why wedding bands are shit actually!
The sole reason bands charge a fortune for weddings is that they’re such hard work. The band are just an annoying noise in the corner of the room, hindering family members who’ve not communicated in years from catching up.
Wedding bands earn their money, they’re staff at the end of the day.

says he, just back from a gig…………

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here