Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best BAND of the MADCHESTER scene?

Best BAND during the MADCHESTER era?

• Total voters

medicine man

Jan 22, 2004
by the sea
Happy Mondays WERE Madchester, that's where it started and that's where it ended. period. I liked Yes, Please! too. Saw them at The Top Rank in 89- next year the smallest venue you'd see them at was Wembley Arena- they went HUGE. Saw them at the Martin Hannett memorial festival in 92 in Manchester, and they were still the big boys there. I like the Stone Roses a lot, but they really just set the scene.
And can I just say, Joy Division, great band, love them to bits- NOT Madchester, and New Order after Technique and before Republic- that's when Madchester hit- they were doing separate projects, Barney- Electronic, Hooky- Revenge and the other two- well, The Other Two.
Inspiral Carpets were from Oldham.
So, ner.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Happy Mondays WERE Madchester, that's where it started and that's where it ended. period. I liked Yes, Please! too. Saw them at The Top Rank in 89- next year the smallest venue you'd see them at was Wembley Arena- they went HUGE. Saw them at the Martin Hannett memorial festival in 92 in Manchester, and they were still the big boys there. I like the Stone Roses a lot, but they really just set the scene.
And can I just say, Joy Division, great band, love them to bits- NOT Madchester, and New Order after Technique and before Republic- that's when Madchester hit- they were doing separate projects, Barney- Electronic, Hooky- Revenge and the other two- well, The Other Two.
Inspiral Carpets were from Oldham.
So, ner.

Do you remember who supported them down the suite mate? That would answer a question...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I was living up there, towards the end of it.

I remember stupid bowl haircuts, silly trainers and long sleeve T-Shirts from Afflecks Palace with increasingly "ironic" things like refreshers on them.

I was a student in London just before that, and had begun to see the echoes affecting the East End. Previously Red Wedge Billy Bragg fans were suddenly walking about in flares, with bowl haircuts a chimpanzee hairdresser would be proud of.

Surrounded by people in tight black Jeans and Doctor Martin shoes in the common room, suddenly Shaggy was Scooby Doo would walk in and you thought it was all going to kick off.

Up in Manchester, things got "sorted", girls were "fit", songs became a well known cough sweet and everybody had a mate in band or a mate who was a drug dealer.

Bizarrely everyone had a rare white label 12 inch or something or other, although they seemed to be everywhere.

F*cking everyone spoke like that sketch out from Harry Enfield, when Perry comes back from Manchester. Even the public schoolboys from Surrey. And yes they did that walk.

Personally, I found it f*cking annoying. I used to get myself down to best "indie" (as it was called then) clubs in town, because you used to hear the best of "Madchester", a few good rock "tunes", The Smiths, The Cult and they also threw in a bit of the Stones.

The indie girls were far more sexy with their summer dresses. Nothing more unattractive than all the girls who dressed like girls who dressed like boys in their indentikit uniform of flared baggy Jeans.

I had the best time of my life by avoiding anyone and anything associated with the nonsense of a scene created by the music press.

Unfortunately I went to work in Camden after that and observed the equally annoying Brit Pop / Cool Britannia Bollocks. Vera Lynn would have got a standing ovation in the Good Mixer.

Last edited:

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Wish I was alive for it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Funnily enough at the time, there was a bit of a crusty thing going on in Wigan. There was a band called the Tansads, who had there thunder removed from under them by the Levellers.

Anyone remember the Tansads ?

They were rubbish by the way.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Funnily enough at the time, there was a bit of a crusty thing going on in Wigan. There was a band called the Tansads, who had there thunder removed from under them by the Levellers.

Anyone remember the Tansads ?

They were rubbish by the way.

Yes indeed. Never saw them but I have their "Up the Shirkers" album. A couple of decent tracks on there but I haven't played it in 15 years.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
Started listening to a few bands from the Madchester Scene that I hadn't before. Loving Inspiral Carpets, James and Happy Mondays at the moment.

Along with The Charlatans and The Stone Roses - :clap2:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
ooh good poll

right

ONE
[yt]suwIhdHfHFA[/yt]
TWO
[yt]_eUBxEWsSLI[/yt]
THREE
[yt]J2yK-NUyAIY[/yt]

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
although James , ..... GAH HARD.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I have said it before, I will say it again: The Mondays WERE Madchester.

Regardless of who are the best band, without the Mondays it is unlikely any of them would have got the exposure they did.

Original and best.

fatfingers

Aug 18, 2004
hove
The Mondays did define the Madchester scene, this is true! but the best band to come out of the said scene was the Roses, I like them all and it reminds me of proberly the best period of my life, I still listen to all of them . Fav tunes as follows

Stone Roses : Sally Cinnamon
Happy Mondays : W.F.L
Carpets : Commercial Rain
Charlatans : Sprotsen Green
James : Come Home
Northside : Shall we take a trip
The Farm (yes i know they were scalleys) : Stepping Stone
Paris Angels : Perfume

all classics IMHO

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
I saw Ian Brown, from the Stone Roses, perform at the Ibiza Rocks Hotel this summer, was a really good night!

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
might mean very little in this contest but abit of Candy Flip?

[yt]4DjWpq8Oyoc[/yt]

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The Mondays did define the Madchester scene, this is true! but the best band to come out of the said scene was the Roses, I like them all and it reminds me of proberly the best period of my life, I still listen to all of them . Fav tunes as follows

Stone Roses : Sally Cinnamon
Happy Mondays : W.F.L
Carpets : Commercial Rain
Charlatans : Sprotsen Green
James : Come Home
Northside : Shall we take a trip
The Farm (yes i know they were scalleys) : Stepping Stone
Paris Angels : Perfume

all classics IMHO

- The Charlatans - Only made one good album (Some Friendly). The rest are just so patchy. God knows how they are still going.
- The Stone Roses - The class act
- Happy Mondays - Brilliantly shambolic live and wonderful when remixed. Some parts of Squirrel and GMan and Bummed are great, others are woeful. Love Mad Cyril in particular
- Northside were just crap and don't warrant being listed here
- Paris Angels - a good call, but not the best by a long shot. I quite liked the Mock Turtles too, but they were much more poppy and less part of the scene.

Then you had all the other artists that weren't from Manchester - The La's, St Ettienne, The Shamen, The Beloved, Blur, The Farm... some good tunes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here