Best BAND of the MADCHESTER scene?

Best BAND during the MADCHESTER era?

• Total voters

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You f***ing joking?

Joy Division. By a COUNTRY MILE. Not Madchester by music style, but certainly part of the scene that started it all at Factory Records.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Joy division. unless I am wrong was before the Madchester scene, new order may have been

Dandyman

In London village.
You f***ing joking?

Joy Division. By a COUNTRY MILE. Not Madchester by music style, but certainly part of the scene that started it all at Factory Records.

Different era and not actually from Manchester but still produced two of my favourite songs.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Northside were a load of tosh. The low water mark of the Madchester scene. I went to see them at the Zap in my younger less discerning days. They were good lads though, we ended up on their tour bus with them and shaun Ryders mad dad parked up on marine parade. (not in a groupie way though).

f***ing hell that era was embarassing, thinking about it. Remember Flowered Up, or those two dickheads who covered Strawberry Fields. *cringe*

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ian Curtis was from Macc, but Barney and Hooky and both Mancs.

Oh Manchester, so much to answer for

Inspirals were consistently pretty good.
Charlatans made a couple of classic albums that eclipsed the lot, for me, but then came out with some utter waste.
James were decent and had several standout tracks spattered through their career.
Mondays, and Stone Roses had one passable album each imho, the latter vastly over-rated because of their legal foibles.
Northside very poppy, but fairly forgettable.
808State I know nowt abowt.

Last edited:

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Joy Division / New Order

Can't believe they're not even mentioned in the poll.

:shrug:

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
the roses, easy choice.

Inspirals and James were class too though.

Talking of Manc bands, went to see Oasis at Murrayfield last week, supported by Reverand & the makers, The Enemy and Kasabian. Fuckin Quality gig, i had seen the makers, the enemy and oasis before but never seen kasabian before.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Always loved the Charlatans and Inspirals but for me it is a tough choice between James and the Roses for best. Probably the Roses just edging it.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
ok own up, who was it that voted for the charlatans ahead of the stone roses?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. Just because Tony Wilson founded and managed The Hacienda it doesn't make Joy Division / New Order part of the Madchester scene. If so, you might as well bung The Smiths in there in which case that would be poll closed.

2. Flowered Ups "Weekender" was superb. Only the fact it was 17 minutes long stopped it being a chart-topper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here