Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bennetts Field

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I thought we couldn't get our hotel because it looked really, really shite.

And they weren't wrong.

As told on Roar.
Mr Perry said out of courtesy to the residents, he paid Falmer Parish Council a visit regarding the hotel plans.
He was told there wouldn't be any objection but they hoped it wouldn't block their view of the stadium because they really rather like it.

Quite how Martin isn't currently doing 25 years to life, I'll never know.

Mr Perry once told me that he explained to residents of Falmer that the Stadium wouldn't be visible from the A27. What he didn't tell them is that he was referring to the A27 near Littlehampton.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Mr Perry once told me that he explained to residents of Falmer that the Stadium wouldn't be visible from the A27. What he didn't tell them is that he was referring to the A27 near Littlehampton.

To be fair, it is only a small stretch of the A27 it can be seen from; round the corner from the Coldean Lane slip road to the Falmer road bridge is about it.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
11 years is a long game of Poker 😂

Ha!

With planning permission BF will be worth £millions

Without Planning permission it’ll be worth whatever the Albion will pay to rent it for either 365 days a year, or for just match days. They have proved that they don’t actually need it.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Farmer nothing to do with it. Bennett family are long standing Falmer residents.They own the field whereas surrounding Farmland owned by Brighton Council and farmed by tenants.

Long standing Falmer residents applying to build on the site you could not make it up. This is almost certain to increase vehicle and bat collisions

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sums it up. Gamble by Bloom. Not so much Bennett as apart from considerable application costs if turned down site just returns to original value to Albion.
Assume Albion would block any access for students to station/university through there land so that is a lot of students wandering around The Drove

How is it a gamble by Bloom and not Bennett ?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
How is it a gamble by Bloom and not Bennett ?

No gamble by Bennett because he knows Albion are still there if he gets turned down albeit at a lower price. Would have thought club have talked to him about buying but not come to an agreement. By not doing so Bloom taking a gamble he wont get planning;
With only access from The Drove I still think that is a heck of lot of students going to and from University/Station even walking or cycling. As i said before am sure Albion would block of any access from there land

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
With only access from The Drove I still think that is a heck of lot of students going to and from University/Station even walking or cycling. As i said before am sure Albion would block of any access from there land

Not sure I'd see that happening. While it would be a big FU to Bennett, it would cause complications in the Club's relationship with the Universities, which they use for parking - both Brighton and Sussex Unis. If the club don't allow students access, the universities could stop allowing the club use of their car parks when any existing agreements expire.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Not sure I'd see that happening. While it would be a big FU to Bennett, it would cause complications in the Club's relationship with the Universities, which they use for parking - both Brighton and Sussex Unis. If the club don't allow students access, the universities could stop allowing the club use of their car parks when any existing agreements expire.

Appreciate that point but would think Albion income has become important to university. They may object to the planning if only access to Uni is along The Drove. I would think many conversations taking place between Albion,University and Falmer Parish council.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I’m surprised the club did not come to a deal 12 years ago to buy the land off Mr Bennett when I’m sure there was a possibility of a sale. I wonder if one key objection from the club would be if it in anyway prevented the club from developing the land next to the proposed development which it owns. Possibly the Hotel / cancer unit may make a reappearance in a new form? Most likely a multi-storey car park!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m surprised the club did not come to a deal 12 years ago to buy the land off Mr Bennett when I’m sure there was a possibility of a sale. I wonder if one key objection from the club would be if it in anyway prevented the club from developing the land next to the proposed development which it owns. Possibly the Hotel / cancer unit may make a reappearance in a new form? Most likely a multi-storey car park!

My guess is that Bennett played the long game, eyeing a development opportunity one day, seeing development creep towards his land over the years. Even before the Amex appeared, I witnessed the Brighton University site expand over downland in the 90’s and 00’s. Without so much as a peep from all the people and entities who emerged against the Albion’s plans.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Significant risk of bat / student collision will surely result in application refusal?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I’m guessing that neither University would be keen on Mr Bennett building his halls in the Amex Carpark.

In fact, both institutions could object.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No gamble by Bennett because he knows Albion are still there if he gets turned down albeit at a lower price. Would have thought club have talked to him about buying but not come to an agreement. By not doing so Bloom taking a gamble he wont get planning;

It’s not a Bloom gamble…….what’s the value of the land for use as a car park used 20 times a year compared with 550 student flats rented out at £5kpa+ each is incomparable. There’s no way any offer from Bloom could have come close to being able to convince him to sell. If pp is refused, Bennett is left with a fairly useless parcel of land and Bloom will hold the cards, but given the likely relative sums involved it was probably worth Bennett gambling on getting pp.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
How’s Bennett planning on getting all the plant and materials to the site he’s shoe-horned into? I can see uncle Tony getting his own back for this seasons car-park shenanigans by not allowing access? Or do we assume he has shared right of way through our coach park?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Brighton Uni's recent decision to close its Eastbourne Campus and move c.4,000 student places to Falmer will create extra demand for accommodation.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
How’s Bennett planning on getting all the plant and materials to the site he’s shoe-horned into? I can see uncle Tony getting his own back for this seasons car-park shenanigans by not allowing access? Or do we assume he has shared right of way through our coach park?

The planning application documents are now online.

Construction access is proposed to be created from the Drove direct to the site. This will then become permanent access.

Bennett is the land owner but the developer is called Downing. One assumes Bennett is selling his land to Downing for the development and would realise a far better return than an annual rental income from the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here