Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bennett's Field still a shambles

I think it's clear that the club want to clear the coaches/buses as a priority and that, if managed properly, it will take an hour from final whistle to clear the car park. I can live with that, going to the bar , shop, etc after the game and getting to the car park later. Once out, it only takes five minutes to get back to Central Brighton.

What I do not find acceptable is:

a) Anything much longer than an hour when the principle cause is the lack of management by the club, i.e., no stewarding.

b) the resultant effect of the delays which prompt aggressive driving and accidents.

You still haven't explained where I condone dangerous/aggressive driving?

By ignoring what I said in my post, i.e., that the lack of marshalling is causing aggressive driving. And that your preferred method of travel is better, while ignoring the fact that the station, buses, etc are well managed.

Perhaps if the station runs so smootly, we could move some of those stewards over to the car park on Friday for the Leeds game?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Well the railway line is just a cost issue I'd imagine as is the farmer. Planning would be a problem but I'm thinking it's not only Bennetts but all the coach and P&R traffic too that would be able to use.

Keep thinking about increasing capacity and whilst I think that (generally) transportation has improved dramatically I think we're somewhere near maximum efficiency given the current set up. Putting 50% more just can't work without something radical happening IMO

muvs

Aug 31, 2011
The club told us initially that there would be no parking available. Public transport for all they said.

The problem with Bennetts Field is the cars in there actually disrupt the flow of the public transport which 97% of those going to the stadium use, it is a complete joke. The buses should be able to move freely. They should never have allowed this parking on the site except for the disabled and key stadium staff.

ha, 97%?? I though the car park held 2000 parkings spaces...assuming there is 3 people in a car this could be up to 6000 fans...thats over 25% of the attendence when full!! If I assume correctly??

To be fair if people are paying money to park there, then perhaps they should get an equal right to leave at the same time.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You pay for the right to park. Not the right to leave sharpish. Your decision to drive is presumably based to a degree on convenience factors. If you don't find it convenient, do something else :shrug:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
By ignoring what I said in my post, i.e., that the lack of marshalling is causing aggressive driving. And that your preferred method of travel is better, while ignoring the fact that the station, buses, etc are well managed.

Perhaps if the station runs so smootly, we could move some of those stewards over to the car park on Friday for the Leeds game?

Have you ever tried getting out of the car parks at Bournemouth and Peterborough they have no marshalling and have been doing it for years.
Just accept that big crowds draw traffic conjestion and if you dont like waiting find another method of travel.

The club have always advised against driving to games,its going to be pricey and long winded trying to get out,
stop f***ing moaning about it,we don't give a shit,
back in the Ladies Mile by 1020 last,perfect,couldn't be better.
If you're moaning now wait till the end of the season when you've all burnt your clutches out:lolol::lolol:

The club have always advised against driving to games,its going to be pricey and long winded trying to get out,
stop f***ing moaning about it,we don't give a shit,
back in the Ladies Mile by 1020 last,perfect,couldn't be better.
If you're moaning now wait till the end of the season when you've all burnt your clutches out:lolol::lolol:

That's what I like to see. An all-inclusive forum where the views of a minority get a fair hearing, without unnecessary abuse. Makes me proud to be an Albion supporter.

shellsuit

Feb 5, 2009
Parked two-thirds of way down before the game.

11.10 before we got out afterwards and still a big queue then. Lots of stewards standing around watching cars cut diagonally across the car park and pushing in at the exit, causing even more confusion and aggressive driving. Only saw one car shunt this evening, but sure it must happen every game.

Can't the bus and coach stewards come and manage the car park afterwards? Not additional staff, just the ones standing around afterwards watching the havoc.

The club "record" of clearing the car park in an hour. Pah!

at least you got in bennets field last night,there were many who were turned away because it was full.....im still trying to work out how you can sell more vouchers than you have spaces

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Parking at a stadium really is a RUBBISH way of going to and from a football stadium, end of. Its not unique to the Amex.

I can remember the horrors of the Yeovil carpark (well, field) after a game which had all of about 5,000 attending. Took over an hour to get out of that slag, as the exit was only wide enough for 1 car at a time. And anyone who's tried the multi-storey carpark near the Madjeski could tell worse tales, people were taking shaving kits in with them.

You want the "convenience" of parking your car right by the stadium and saving a walk or a journey with the Great Unwashed, then the price for that is a looong delay getting out. No two ways about it. Just accept it.

I appreciate its totally different for the disabled who rely on being able to park close to the ground for mobility reasons. Thats a different issue. But the rest of you able-bodieds who choose to drive and are now having a whine about the car parking chaos ? Sorry, couldn't give a toss.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Well it doesn't HAVE to, does it? You mean you'd LIKE something to be done. That's not the same thing.

Yes it does. Something HAS to be done. It's only a matter of time before someone get's hurt in there and I'm not exaggerating.

You can't have an open space full of 500 cars all doing as they please. It MUST be managed. Two stewards standing by the exit directing cars back into the car park is not how it should work. There are more stewards guiding people into the car park before the match than there are afterwards which is crazy.

Imagine going to ASDA at Christmas to find that they'd removed all roads and dividers from the car park and that there was only one, one lane exit at the far corner and everyone finished their shopping at the same time..... Would you walk through that car park by choice?

It's completely unsafe and on top of all that, it's a major annoyance to fans when it really doesn't have to be.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Interesting to see the ongoing debate about Bennets Field (and Falmer / Brighton Stations) on here and the general 'me me me' whinging.

On the one hand we have the privileged few who insist on driving to the Amex and pay to park next to the stadium are miffed at being delayed at getting away after the game. As eloquently pointed out this privilege ends at the threshold to the car park and does not qualify the user to be fast tracked out of Falmer.

On the other hand there are several disabled fans and their carers who would like to have parked close to the stadium but are unable to because they cannot afford to or because Bennets Field was opened up for use by others and oversubscribed. I wish a little more compassion could be extended toward these good people.

So to date a few punters have been delayed, and little road rage has occurred here and there and maybe some tempers have got a little frayed, but at least no one has got hurt. It is rather sad that fans struggle to retain a little goodwill toward fellow fans when really these issues should have been be well sorted by now with the help of a little more organisation by those supposedly 'in control' ie the Club, Stewards, Police and railway management. This lack of 'control' makes me wonder what effort the relevant agencies (including certain NSCers who rather freely dispense semi-official advice to others on here) are putting into arrangements for when the likes of Leeds, Palace, West Ham, Millwall are in town. I look forward to seeing these agencies being a bit more dynamic, exhibiting proper professionalism and getting a firm grip on crowd management at those games as one or two of the visiting fans are far less likely to see the amusing side of car/coach park or train rage. There could be unpleasant flashpoints if things are not better organised in the away fans coach pick up near Bennets Field and at Falmer and Brighton Stations. I fear that's when there could be something to really moan about on here, rather than a little inconvenience.

superwomen

Apr 19, 2011
Hove
we used the Mill road park and ride - took and hour there and back - as we live in the Dyke Road area is seemed to be the best option ! they could do we using more bendy buses - could be fun on Friday/Tuesday we Leeds/Palace games

Clapham Old Mug

Aug 6, 2004
Clapham
I would be interested to know how long it took to clear the train queue last night as there is an issue for those of us who come down from London. For the Sunderland game, I left after 15 minutes of extra time and got to the head of the train queue and home by a sensible time. Last night I got a lift in a car from Bennett's field after full time, queued for an hour to get out and just caught a train to get me home at 1:15am. Trying to think up a better option for tomorrow night...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I would be interested to know how long it took to clear the train queue last night as there is an issue for those of us who come down from London. For the Sunderland game, I left after 15 minutes of extra time and got to the head of the train queue and home by a sensible time. Last night I got a lift in a car from Bennett's field after full time, queued for an hour to get out and just caught a train to get me home at 1:15am. Trying to think up a better option for tomorrow night...

I've got it quite sorted I think...

Joined the supporters club in Haywards Heath and appears to eliminated all the hassle.

I usually going to make my own way down - I think, but on the way back (like last night) I walked straight out the stadium onto a coach.

Within a few minutes I was on the road to Haywards Heath.

Hit CJ about 11:30 and popped on a train to Balham.

They seem to have it sorted - and I'm pretty much guarenteed getting back to Balham just before midnight.

It's effectively added 45 minutes.

On the way down from London, if it's tight - via Lewes appears to be the preferred approach.

Recognised loads of cockney exiles taking that route.

Coming from London - you do have the acceptable option of going that way. Obviously doesn't make sense from Brighton.

If a night game goes to extra time - still think it's possible, but it's always gonna be a late one.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Trains to London weren't a problem last night. I was pretty well at the back of the queue at Falmer, caught a train to Brighton around 9.45 / 9.50 (after spending some time and money in the club sop). Got a London train that left around 10.10 and was home by the time the game was being shown on the BBC (10.25??)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Actually we were caught in this last night.

My mrs drove and parked in esporta car park at around quarter to 10. I left the ground, walked over and we tried to leave straight away...but the queue went from the stadium down to the entrance to the club. We and loads of others gave up and had a drink in the club, leaving about half an hour later, it was still chaos.

WHAT IS ALL THIS BOLLOCKS ALLOWING PEOPLE TO PARK ON THE DOUBLE YELLOWS ON VILLAGE WAY. The busses couldn't turn round, taxis were just randomly stopping anywhere and the queue was at a halt. I assumed they were waiting to get into the stadium and I Overtook loads of car....wrongly actually and if you were shouting at me, I apologise...I honestly thought people wereparking or turning.

Queue on the a27 back to the hangleton turn off was an absolute JOKE. That needs looking at.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I got to car straight and after kick off and got back in Worthing about 11. I think that's very acceptable. That said we were out very snappish out and was in the first 50 or so cars leaving.

The problem for me that was different to the Peterborough game was that they weren't stopping the pick ups on Village Way and were allowing lots if cars to come up Village Way from wherever they are parking, which is presumably not "official" parking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here