Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bennett's Field still a shambles

Parked two-thirds of way down before the game.

11.10 before we got out afterwards and still a big queue then. Lots of stewards standing around watching cars cut diagonally across the car park and pushing in at the exit, causing even more confusion and aggressive driving. Only saw one car shunt this evening, but sure it must happen every game.

Can't the bus and coach stewards come and manage the car park afterwards? Not additional staff, just the ones standing around afterwards watching the havoc.

The club "record" of clearing the car park in an hour. Pah!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This is probably going to sound a bit harsh, but given that, what, 90% of us travel to home games by other means, because we're not afforded the privilege of parking at the stadium, I, and probably most of the others, simply don't care.

We all queue in one way, shape or form, in most cases at the railway station, so I honestly can't say it bothers me one way or the other if drivers have to queue to get out of the car park. You could always travel by other means :shrug:

Obviously I'm excluding disabled supporters from that.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
I missed the P'boro game but was under the impression that it was a lot better. It's still a complete and utter shambles. Even got a mention on Talk Sport re what a mess it was.
Had enough - train for me from now on. Shame.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
The club told us initially that there would be no parking available. Public transport for all they said.

The problem with Bennetts Field is the cars in there actually disrupt the flow of the public transport which 97% of those going to the stadium use, it is a complete joke. The buses should be able to move freely. They should never have allowed this parking on the site except for the disabled and key stadium staff.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
This is probably going to sound a bit harsh, but given that, what, 90% of us travel to home games by other means, because we're not afforded the privilege of parking at the stadium, I, and probably most of the others, simply don't care.

We all queue in one way, shape or form, in most cases at the railway station, so I honestly can't say it bothers me one way or the other if drivers have to queue to get out of the car park. You could always travel by other means :shrug:

Must admit I know a few people who travel by car and complain about it and, although I try to sympathise, my gut reaction is much the same as yours. Use the train or the Park and Ride, it's so much easier. I've always turned down the opportunity to use the car parks so far as I just can't see the point. Have never had a good experience at a football ground car park, anywhere, ever with the exception of ones that serve a well-run P&R.

On a separate point, for away fans the lack of signage on the A23 is a joke. There should be big 'Football Traffic - Use Park and Ride' signs with directions and others saying 'No Parking At Football Stadium' to stress the point. Big away crowds are going to cause problems because away fans are largely just going to head to the ground and see what they can find and at the moment nobody could blame them.

Edna, I have no problem with queuing. But there is no queuing in Bennett's Field. It is a free-for-all that upsets a lot of people, causes accidents and will end up in fights between drivers.

Given your background, I am surprised you are condoning dangerous and aggressive driving.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I concur !

Having used the football specials on Saturdays and parking in Coldean last night I really can't understand why people decide they want to park at the stadium.

Using the "S" bus takes less than an hour back to Hangleton from final whistle and I was home from Coldean by 10.30 last night despite a walk from the stadium AND hanging around for the crowds to die down. Only a mug would use Bennetts Field.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Edna, I have no problem with queuing. But there is no queuing in Bennett's Field. It is a free-for-all that upsets a lot of people, causes accidents and will end up in fights between drivers.

Given your background, I am surprised you are condoning dangerous and aggressive driving.

Feel free to quote the part of my post that condones dangerous or aggressive driving.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
There is no problem once you're out of the car park, but the car park itself needs a traffic management system. Something HAS to be done.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There is no problem once you're out of the car park, but the car park itself needs a traffic management system. Something HAS to be done.

Well it doesn't HAVE to, does it? You mean you'd LIKE something to be done. That's not the same thing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I think the arrival of Leeds and Palace may well disrupt the otherwise smooth departures on the park and ride and certainly those at the station. It will also add to the dramas in Bennett's Field if the away fans get a bit frisky

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Any crowd situation that is not managed properly is open to people pushing in, etc. Just because 90% or so use the station that is managed by stewards for your safety and convenience, the other 10% should have to fight it out?

You still haven't explained where I condone dangerous/aggressive driving?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Seriously why ? Without going into specific cases, many who are capable of sitting watching a game for 90 minutes, can sit in a car for an hour.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

I meant because disabled people don't necessarily have the other options (ie train, bus, walking) and thus actually need to park, whereas the other car park users can do something else if they don't like the waiting.

That said, having a space because of a disability doesn't grant you the right to leave a game any quicker than anyone else, it just means you can park near the ground.
:shrug:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Never got a response last time I mentioned but why not a slip straight out on to the A27? It's not the M25 after all and there's plenty of room before the filter off to the A270

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here