Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bennett's Field no longer available - no parking season tickets

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Bennett’s Field is a bit land locked. I assume the roads and pavements around the stadium and Village Way are privately owned by the club and as mentioned above the land adjoining the railway and public roads will probably be owned by Network Rail and National Highways, as they’re known now. One assumes the developer has had a word with the club to strike a deal over construction access and then day to day access. Interesting one to watch.

Not a hope Albion would strike a deal to give them access If this goes ahead it is a big loss to club. Club must have talked to owner about buying but never came to agreement. Big gamble by both parties

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Not a hope Albion would strike a deal to give them access If this goes ahead it is a big loss to club. Club must have talked to owner about buying but never came to agreement. Big gamble by both parties

Not really, if as I suspect Bennet owns the land running alongside Falmer Road. Bennet Field with planning permission for student accommodation is far more valuable than land with temporary planning consent as a car park.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

If Bennett fails to get planning permission, ultimately at an appeal with the Planning Inspectorate, and decides not to go for a smaller scheme, he could then resume letting it to the Albion.

Better to have income than none at all.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
If Bennett fails to get planning permission, ultimately at an appeal with the Planning Inspectorate, and decides not to go for a smaller scheme, he could then resume letting it to the Albion.

Better to have income than none at all.

What I haven’t seen addressed is why isn’t Bennet renting the car park to BHAFC on a month by month basis? Any planning request and approval, (if granted), will likely take months if not years.

We’ve still not got final approval on a planning application for a demolition and rebuild of our house after the best part of a year!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
What I haven’t seen addressed is why isn’t Bennet renting the car park to BHAFC on a month by month basis? Any planning request and approval, (if granted), will likely take months if not years.

We’ve still not got final approval on a planning application for a demolition and rebuild of our house after the best part of a year!

Maybe Bloom has told him to F*** Off

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Why would he? That would be just childish.

Not at all. It’s called brinkmanship. Maybe Bloom thinks the club would be better off with all of nothing, rather than an interim fix whereby the club pays someone rent whilst they are planning to evict us and cause major inconvenience. Would you pay someone who is objecting to your plans?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Not at all. It’s called brinkmanship. Maybe Bloom thinks the club would be better off with all of nothing, rather than an interim fix whereby the club pays someone rent whilst they are planning to evict us and cause major inconvenience. Would you pay someone who is objecting to your plans?

I can’t see that.

Any inconvenience has already occurred, a temporary agreement would at least have delayed that - is/has Bennet objected to any of BHA’s plans?

The current planning consent for the use of the field as parking is only temporary in any case.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I can’t see that.

Any inconvenience has already occurred, a temporary agreement would at least have delayed that - is/has Bennet objected to any of BHA’s plans?

The current planning consent for the use of the field as parking is only temporary in any case.

Sorry, a typo may have misled you. I meant all Or nothing, ie the club may see a temporary agreement benefitting the opposition (Bennett) more than the club. I’m not sure how much of an inconvenience the current situation is to the club given that the interim rent would be for 7 days a week whereas we only really need to use the land for 2 days a month, ie match days.

Just my view 😀

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Maybe Bloom has told him to F*** Off

I think you will find original planning for parking was based on returning to agriculture use. Who knows but cant think club have not tried to buy. I would not be surprised if owner said he wanted x £s and told Bloom he would apply for planning if he didn't agree. He must have access in mind but cant see getting permission to remove all the trees if only on basis they must offer some sound proofing to that part of Falmer

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If he doesn’t get planning permission (sure the locals will kick up enormously - 200 drunken students in the area for most of the year……..?) he’s going to be playing poker with Tony again……….by the time he knows, we’ll have managed to get through at least this season without it and whilst there is a clear demand for the spaces, if he comes running back to Tony looking to rent the space again, then Tony can tell him to **** off. He’s then left with an empty, unused car park unless he sells up.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
If he doesn’t get planning permission (sure the locals will kick up enormously - 200 drunken students in the area for most of the year……..?) he’s going to be playing poker with Tony again……….by the time he knows, we’ll have managed to get through at least this season without it and whilst there is a clear demand for the spaces, if he comes running back to Tony looking to rent the space again, then Tony can tell him to **** off. He’s then left with an empty, unused car park unless he sells up.

That’s what I was trying to say !! And who would buy it with that council?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I would have thought that land is ideal for student accommodation to be fair. Right next to two universities,a huge sports area ( ex Virgin club) railway station and busses.

I have no idea what objection they can have to that .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

It will take years.

I suspect he raised his £ demands to a level the club weren’t prepared to pay.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I don't think it should be, but I can see this being approved by the planning committee.

Lewes needs to build houses to meet their Government quota. Where else but to put them than right on the edge of their boundary where it won't impact upon their local services.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I would have thought that land is ideal for student accommodation to be fair. Right next to two universities,a huge sports area ( ex Virgin club) railway station and busses.

I have no idea what objection they can have to that .

Highway safety - how do cars / emergency services access it without dramatically changing the landscape of the 27?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't think it should be, but I can see this being approved by the planning committee.

Lewes needs to build houses to meet their Government quota. Where else but to put them than right on the edge of their boundary where it won't impact upon their local services.

Will this be short term lets to uni students, so having no impact on LDC’s housing needs (covering East Saltdean to Newick to Seaford)?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here