Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bennett's Field no longer available - no parking season tickets

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
If he doesn’t get planning permission (sure the locals will kick up enormously - 200 drunken students in the area for most of the year……..?) he’s going to be playing poker with Tony again……….by the time he knows, we’ll have managed to get through at least this season without it and whilst there is a clear demand for the spaces, if he comes running back to Tony looking to rent the space again, then Tony can tell him to **** off. He’s then left with an empty, unused car park unless he sells up.

That's all well and good. But its us fans who suffer from not having available parking. Hopefully we won't have to suffer another season of the booking shambles we are seeing this year.

Tony may be playing poker - but we are the cards.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
That's all well and good. But its us fans who suffer from not having available parking. Hopefully we won't have to suffer another season of the booking shambles we are seeing this year.

After the initial confusion after Bennett gave notice, I have found the booking process for parking quite simple - if you monitor the Albion app. Certainly not a shambles.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

What would you suggest instead…..Tony agreeing to perhaps ridiculous rents ?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
What would you suggest instead…..Tony agreeing to perhaps ridiculous rents ?

Not the point I was making.

Your post was talking about Tony's bargaining position and how he is able to gain leverage with the owner. It was all about the business side of the equation and not about the demand. The only way he can do this is because if he got the car park back it would be full - used by us, the fans. Would I pay more for a parking season ticket than last season? Absolutely - its more expensive for individual matches at the Bridge. Is anyone going to be asking me about this? Of course not, we're just part of Tony's fantastic poker game where only he is ever the winner.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not the point I was making.

Your post was talking about Tony's bargaining position and how he is able to gain leverage with the owner. It was all about the business side of the equation and not about the demand. The only way he can do this is because if he got the car park back it would be full - used by us, the fans. Would I pay more for a parking season ticket than last season? Absolutely - its more expensive for individual matches at the Bridge. Is anyone going to be asking me about this? Of course not, we're just part of Tony's fantastic poker game where only he is ever the winner.

I don’t know what his bargaining position is….I was only guessing he MIGHT have some leverage, but it’s quite possible the owner has been playing hardball thinking he’s got the club by the short and curlies and they’ve baulked at the cost. Can’t see any other reason why he would forgo what must be very decent rental income for a period even if he’s hoping to convert use later - that’s going to take an age.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I don’t know what his bargaining position is….I was only guessing he MIGHT have some leverage, but it’s quite possible the owner has been playing hardball thinking he’s got the club by the short and curlies and they’ve baulked at the cost. Can’t see any other reason why he would forgo what must be very decent rental income for a period even if he’s hoping to convert use later - that’s going to take an age.

I imagine if permission is granted he will simply sell the land to a developer. A farmer local to where I live was offered an eyewatering, life changing sum (many tens of millions) for some land that doesn't even have planning permission. The developers just 'bank' land and are prepared to play the long game as they know they will eventually be able to develop it for decent profit.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Has this found its way on here yet?

265445127_10229141061771536_5422596797439299234_n.jpg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I imagine if permission is granted he will simply sell the land to a developer. A farmer local to where I live was offered an eyewatering, life changing sum (many tens of millions) for some land that doesn't even have planning permission. The developers just 'bank' land and are prepared to play the long game as they know they will eventually be able to develop it for decent profit.

For sure, friend of mine did the same, took many years….……..if he’s happy to forgo the rent I imagine he’s either pretty confident of it going through or not very good at negotiating (or he needs it tenant-free to sell it)

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Appreciate it is not my money but considering what has been spent by Bloom for Ground and training ground would still be surprised if he misses this one and only opportunity to acquire this site right next to ground.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Those trees will have TPOs, very unlikely.

TPO trees can still be taken down after agreement between developer and council, and often are.

For example, they may mainly be sycamores. Removing a dozen, but planting far more trees from species of a superior ecological/arboricultural category elsewhere on the site, is a mitigation that often works.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

If you had ever parked in Bennett Field when it was used for parking you'd have found it the most stressful part of the match trying to get out. Buses take priority as do aggressive and threatening 4x4s full of twats who think it's their divine right to force and abuse their way to the front of the queue. I saw quite a few confrontations when it was a parking area coupled with ridiculous delays in getting out.

Give me University parking with the walk every time

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Given the club and the SDNP have strongly objected, surprising how few public objections there are either from Falmer residents or supporters / general public.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here