Bennets Field-What is really happening

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The land where the hotel is going is not owned by the Bennett's it's owned by BHCC. Planning permission for the car park runs out end of this season it will be up to Lewes and mainly the Highway Agency if it is to get a new permission.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The land where the hotel is going is not owned by the Bennett's it's owned by BHCC. Planning permission for the car park runs out end of this season it will be up to Lewes and mainly the Highway Agency if it is to get a new permission.

The hotel will encroach into Lewes district and will take over the first row of the current car park.

See image below;

150 Hotel.jpg

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I would imagine that anyone staying at the hotel will want to park their car there so I would think that there will be a jiggle round with parking. I'm sure they will keep disabled parking in BF but parking spaces lost to the hotel will be moved to the multi storey they're hoping to build at the Bridge. I would definitely email Paul Barber with your concern though.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
So Doug is talking complete and utter shite again!

Facts, Doug...facts

Picky! The new year is less than 10 weeks away. And this from the man that promised that there would be no Harveys at the Amex this season.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Picky! The new year is less than 10 weeks away. And this from the man that promised that there would be no Harveys at the Amex this season.

Ooooh mischievous old truck driver.

You know full well that the albion cancelled the contract with Harvey's assuming they would get a cheaper price out of them and Harveys called their bluff and after negotiation, the contract was reinstated. Or perhaps you are not as in the know as you would like people to believe?

pigin stripes

Jul 18, 2003
Hove
I was at an evening with Martin Perry on Friday and I asked the question re what we're the club's plans re Bennett's field. I pointed out that the club's original plans were to lease the field until the end of this year then move to the playing fields of the new academy down the road. Martin agreed that was the plan however the new student block was planned for area now left following the academy development which was not suitable on its own to replace Bennett's field. He stated the club wanted to retain Bennett's as the 1901 car park and that discussions with the Bennett's was on going. He did state that if Bennett's field was agreed as permanate then it would be redesigned to allow better flow between the cars and buses. In short the plan of the club is to KEEP Bennett's field but redesign it
,Hope this helps the op.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Ooooh mischievous old truck driver.

You know full well that the albion cancelled the contract with Harvey's assuming they would get a cheaper price out of them and Harveys called their bluff and after negotiation, the contract was reinstated. Or perhaps you are not as in the know as you would like people to believe?

You said that there would be no Harveys. End of. The application with Lewes council is at the earliest possible date, hence me saying very shortly.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
no offence taken
but this is the question i am asking,and i know most people dont give a shit because it involves the disabled supporters,currently Bennets field is a god send,what will happen with access when then Hotel is fully Built on this site?I know we are in the minority with regards to access etc but i am just expressing my views

Just park in the disabled bay in the hotel car park?
Seriously though ask the club. In my dealings, as a rare visitor and a non season ticket holder, they have been extremely helpful.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
And when it gets rejected how long will the appeal take? ???

Depends who, if anyone, rejects it.

The city council has OK'd the release of the land for the hotel - subject to all the planning permissions, of course - and Martin Perry will have had, and will have many more, meetings with council officers, all with a view to minimising the risk of rejection before filing a planning application.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

There will be a lot of pressure from Brighton Council leaders for it to be approved, they own the land and therefore will see some money, and they will want the good news story of more investment and jobs which is likely to outweigh the people who have objections about it.

Also the new planning policies for Brighton are quite favourable to a new hotel outside the city centre if its to meet a specific need ie. stadium and national park users. Even Lewes will want an opportnity for a hotel within their District as I can't imagine many sites exist like this one. The main difficulty will be transport and getting the highways agency onside, they could but a kaibosh on the whole thing including the permanent car park if they think the transports stuffed.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

I was referring to the application connected to Bennett's Field - Lewes Council have hardly been the club's biggest supporter when it comes down to developing Falmer.

We are committed to returning this to a green field site by June 2014 so if the application for planning permission isn't lodged until the New Year then there will be less than 6 months left for a decision to be made by Lewes and for an appeal to be lodged, heard and decided if the plans are initially rejected.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
So permanent permission sought, huge surprise :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports