Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bennets Field-What is really happening

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The club will have to negotiate with the Bennett family if they want to build anything on that land as it's only leased to us. It was short term which ends at the end of this season!

If I was Bennett, I would turn it into an urban farm

The hotel site is not on the Bennett land though, is it. It's the triangle of space between BF and the stadium that was always earmarked for City College.

And if you WERE Bennett, you wouldn't REALLY turn down a fortune of developers' money, to stick a donkey and a chicken on there, either. And nor will they.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
What's to stop the Bennetts agreeing to continue the lease? A good friend of mine lives in the village and says they , the Bennetts, are more than happy having the Albion where they are i.e they make good money so have no need to upset the Apple cart.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So Tony Bloom is an ogre?

You can't mean Barber, because he is answerable to TB.
As and when PB is deemed to have acted ogreishly it's either sanctioned by TB or done with his grace.

Barber runs the club and whilst the big ticket items get board approval the rest is down to him.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If i was you, i would e-mail Paul Barber asking the question,

rather than ask a load of Chislas on here !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If I was Bennett, I would turn it into an urban farm

If I was Bennett I'd lease it to the club for another term and sit tight. That plot of land will not devalue.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I would imagine that any reduction in parking for supporters with disabilities on Bennett's Field will coincide with a cheerful price-hike for those who are looking to take advantage of the excellent facilities the club continues to offer to them disabled. Expect a patronising email or 5 soon from you-know-who. :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When you say 'big ticket' I presume you mean like the training ground and hotel etc? Is Barber in charge of all other aspects such as sponsors, kit suppliers, ticket prices?

By big-ticket certainly tickets prices and I presume sponsors and kit. Hotel etc I presume is Bloom's dream and outside of Barber's remit which is running the club. Barber explained his role some time ago but only gave ticket prices as an example. He explained that aside from key decisions and high-level strategic direction which need board approval other decisions regarding the day to day running of the club are purely down to him. My point being it will be his decision and his decision alone regarding disabled parking which is what I was replying to.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would imagine that any reduction in parking for supporters with disabilities on Bennett's Field will coincide with a cheerful price-hike for those who are looking to take advantage of the excellent facilities the club continues to offer to them disabled. Expect a patronising email or 5 soon from you-know-who. :thumbsup:

And remember, you're doing the club down if you decide you cannot afford the facilities.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
One way or another it sounds like Mr Bennett is going to become a very wealthy man!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
If i was you, i would e-mail Paul Barber asking the question,

rather than ask a load of Chislas on here !

in all fairness it will be something i will be doing in the very near future,and from what i understand Mr Barber is very prompt on the rely front, i am sorry if i have made a mistake on asking the NSC community if they had any knowledge on this issue,i really did have a genuine question surrounding this and thought maybe might at least get 2 out of 10 sensible answers

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Don't apologise for posting on NSC, compared to some threads this is a veritable cornucopia of information, but it's probably best to ask the club if you want the facts.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
The hotel site is NOT on the site of the car park. The club will most probably buy the field outright or just carry on leasing it.

Either way, its going nowhere.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Isn't Bennett's Field in Lewes District Council's area.

I thought the terms of the temporary planning consent was that it had to be returned to a green field site by June 2014.

Unless an application for extending or changing that consent has already been lodged then the club are leaving it a bit tight!!!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The club have an application ongoing with Brighton City Council. They'll be putting one in with Lewes very shortly.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
The club have an application ongoing with Brighton City Council. They'll be putting one in with Lewes very shortly.

They'd better hurry up then :down:

Lewes aren't exactly the fastest council in the world when it comes to planning permission - nor the most sympathetic when it comes to the club's plans!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It's amazing how much knowledge one can accrue from being in the Supporters Club. :smile:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Its a shame that a deal couldn't be done with Southern Water. Did a short contract there last year and they've got ACRES of unused car parking space there. Probably space to stick a hotel in there also.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here