Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ben White Signs new deal

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
On the bench?

As we've seen, very few players are guaranteed a starting spot for every game. GP will pick a team for the specific opposition. Were we to sell Duffy and bring White back (which I think is very likely on both counts) I would expect White to be part of the 18 players that feature regularly in the starting 11, particularly in light of the requirement to flex between 4 and 5 at the back. White is EXACTLY the sort of defender we want, and the last player we brought in in that mould, Adam Webster, cost of £20m.

If we have Dunk, Burn, Webster and White as our 4 CBs in August I would expect White to quickly prove himself more than capable.

Edit to add:

As [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION] has suggested, I wouldn't be surprised if Dunk left as well, so White would be even more important.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I suspect White's success at Leeds, and perhaps Burn's with us, have taken the recruitment department by surprise. We now stand to have Webster, Dunk, Burn, Clarke and White all competing for a maximum of three places, and that's assuming that Balogun and - sadly - Duffy move on.

Don't get me wrong, it's no bad thing to exceed your own expectations, but we may need to sell at least one, and White could attract the highest bid. I know Webster has his admirers on here, but I don't think he has increased his value by much. Of course, if Chelsea or someone offers Dunky his dream move, things could change.

It makes you wonder what next, though. Will Haydon Roberts becomes next season's Ben White?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Its a nice thought, but of course we are a selling club if the price is right like pretty much all of the Prem other than a few top sides.

I just don't see the point of selling White for 25 million which seems to the quoted figure, we can move Duffy on for 20 million surely and get that money if we need it.

The only way White leaves is if a stupid offer comes in 45-50 million I would say. And then some of those top sides might not see that as stupid but saving money in the long run.

I'm not sure that the idea of buying and selling clubs exists in the same way as it did in the past. Teams in our position stand to lose such a colossal amount of money if they're relegated that it makes perfect business sense to refuse to sell at any price which could conceivably be paid.

So if we sell White or Maupay or any of our prospects or top players our chances of relegation in the coming seasons increase by a significant percentage. Even the Champions League clubs don't have the money to make that increased risk worthwhile. We can't buy from an equivalent team to us to replace a lost player as it's not worth them selling either (certainly not to a rival)

The most frequent ways which lower mid table clubs are selling to top level clubs, is either their owners don't have much business sense, like Southampton, a players contract is running down, or the player presses the nuclear button and decides to, in effect, strike unless they get their move, we'll probably see this with Zaha.

5 to 10 years ago you could accurately say that only Madrid or Barca weren't selling clubs. I don't think we are now either. The Premier League TV deal has changed everything. We haven't sold a player we want to keep for years and personally I'd be surprised if we do in the coming years

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I suspect White's success at Leeds, and perhaps Burn's with us, have taken the recruitment department by surprise. We now stand to have Webster, Dunk, Burn, Clarke and White all competing for a maximum of three places, and that's assuming that Balogun and - sadly - Duffy move on.

Don't get me wrong, it's no bad thing to exceed your own expectations, but we may need to sell at least one, and White could attract the highest bid. I know Webster has his admirers on here, but I don't think he has increased his value by much. Of course, if Chelsea or someone offers Dunky his dream move, things could change.

It makes you wonder what next, though. Will Haydon Roberts becomes next season's Ben White?

You will have a MUCH better view on this than I do, being a mere supporter (whereas you are a journalist) but what's the external view on Webster? Earlier in the season I thought he was getting very glowing reviews and was seen as a success story. Has the external view turned as much as the fans' view appears to have done (especially on here)?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
If we have Dunk, Burn, Webster and White as our 4 CBs in August I would expect White to quickly prove himself more than capable.

If we have Dunk, Webster and White as our 3 main CBs it frees up Burn to go upfront as our target man striker. He's already learned the "being offside" skills from Muzza, so he's halfway there.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
You will have a MUCH better view on this than I do, being a mere supporter (whereas you are a journalist) but what's the external view on Webster? Earlier in the season I thought he was getting very glowing reviews and was seen as a success story. Has the external view turned as much as the fans' view appears to have done (especially on here)?

Well, that's a very good question and the answer depends on which external viewers we're talking about.

Football writers at the London papers will, on the whole, only have noticed Webster when he plays against top six clubs, so they will think he's doing well based on goals against Arsenal and Tottenham, probably forgetting his gaffe at Chelsea and not noticing his poor showing at home to Sheffield United.

Writers such as Tom Barclay of The Sun, who venture beyond the M25, will have a more balanced view.

The external view from other clubs will be based on extensive scouting and analysis and they will have seen good things and bad beyond what any of us who watch games in real time have a chance of spotting.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
If we have Dunk, Webster and White as our 3 main CBs it frees up Burn to go upfront as our target man striker. He's already learned the "being offside" skills from Muzza, so he's halfway there.
But Burn can't head the ball.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

The U23 look more assured, when Roberts is playing. He seems to be struggling a bit right now with injury though.

We also have Leo Ostigard (20) who got rave reviews in a summer international tournament and appears to have done well in Bundesliga 2 this season

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well, that's a very good question and the answer depends on which external viewers we're talking about.

Football writers at the London papers will, on the whole, only have noticed Webster when he plays against top six clubs, so they will think he's doing well based on goals against Arsenal and Tottenham, probably forgetting his gaffe at Chelsea and not noticing his poor showing at home to Sheffield United.

Writers such as Tom Barclay of The Sun, who venture beyond the M25, will have a more balanced view.

The external view from other clubs will be based on extensive scouting and analysis and they will have seen good things and bad beyond what any of us who watch games in real time have a chance of spotting.

And your view of Webster?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Duffy now carrying a groin injury

Burn out till mid Feb minimum.

Will this see a change in our position on recalling White ?

Got to think about Dunky’s annual 2 game ban sometime in the spring as well

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm not sure that the idea of buying and selling clubs exists in the same way as it did in the past. Teams in our position stand to lose such a colossal amount of money if they're relegated that it makes perfect business sense to refuse to sell at any price which could conceivably be paid.

So if we sell White or Maupay or any of our prospects or top players our chances of relegation in the coming seasons increase by a significant percentage. Even the Champions League clubs don't have the money to make that increased risk worthwhile. We can't buy from an equivalent team to us to replace a lost player as it's not worth them selling either (certainly not to a rival)

The most frequent ways which lower mid table clubs are selling to top level clubs, is either their owners don't have much business sense, like Southampton, a players contract is running down, or the player presses the nuclear button and decides to, in effect, strike unless they get their move, we'll probably see this with Zaha.

5 to 10 years ago you could accurately say that only Madrid or Barca weren't selling clubs. I don't think we are now either. The Premier League TV deal has changed everything. We haven't sold a player we want to keep for years and personally I'd be surprised if we do in the coming years

Hmmm. I don't disagree and your points are valid, but I think Marshy is right. We ARE still a selling club, albeit one who hasn't sold anybody yet. Yes you are correct in saying since we got to the PL we haven't sold anybody we haven't wanted to; i.e. there have been no repeat of the likes of Bridcutt, Bennet, Crofts etc wanting to move on. (To massive clubs like Norwich).

However if a Top Six club come after one of our players, offer him (and us) a shedload of cash, do you think they'll stay just because we don't want to sell them?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Hmmm. I don't disagree and your points are valid, but I think Marshy is right. We ARE still a selling club, albeit one who hasn't sold anybody yet. Yes you are correct in saying since we got to the PL we haven't sold anybody we haven't wanted to; i.e. there have been no repeat of the likes of Bridcutt, Bennet, Crofts etc wanting to move on. (To massive clubs like Norwich).

However if a Top Six club come after one of our players, offer him (and us) a shedload of cash, do you think they'll stay just because we don't want to sell them?

Yes I think they will stay.

Firstly, because, as stated above, whatever cash they offer us, won't be as much as what we'll lose if we're relegated. Secondly, because when Bloom said he wants to become a top 10 club, I believe he meant it, and thirdly if we do decide to recruit more players I believe we can afford to do this without the income from first team player sales.

There are two exceptions to this. A player could engineer a move, but I believe that unless they are prepared to go to such lengths they would completely shred their reputation, we wouldn't blink.

Secondly, if a player, such as Dunk or Propper has done their dues and gets the chance of a dream move, I don't think we would stand in someone's way as it just wouldn't be the right thing to do. Though we'd get our money's worth and it's far more likely in the summer.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes I think they will stay.

Firstly, because, as stated above, whatever cash they offer us, won't be as much as what we'll lose if we're relegated. Secondly, because when Bloom said he wants to become a top 10 club, I believe he meant it, and thirdly if we do decide to recruit more players I believe we can afford to do this without the income from first team player sales.

There are two exceptions to this. A player could engineer a move, but I believe that unless they are prepared to go to such lengths they would completely shred their reputation, we wouldn't blink.

Secondly, if a player, such as Dunk or Propper has done their dues and gets the chance of a dream move, I don't think we would stand in someone's way as it just wouldn't be the right thing to do. Though we'd get our money's worth and it's far more likely in the summer.

Again I don't disagree, as long as we remember that they are people with views and feelings, not just commodities to be traded when the time is right. I feel that these views and feelings may, for a club like ours, often trump the organisation's wish not to trade.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Again I don't disagree, as long as we remember that they are people with views and feelings, not just commodities to be traded when the time is right. I feel that these views and feelings may, for a club like ours, often trump the organisation's wish not to trade.

Agree. But they've also signed a long term contract and are enjoying the security of that and will know that we have spent or invested many millions of pounds to bring them here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here