[Albion] Ben White Signs new deal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Has this been mentioned on this thread in all the gushing praise of White who some seem to think is already a better player than Webster? It is a fecking great step up from the Championship to the PL

Webster made the Championship team of the year last year, it now seems we have signed a complete liabilty according to so many on here

This is what was said about Webster in the team of the Championship comments last season. I am personally not at all convinced that White wIll swan in and take his place next season

Centre-back: Adam Webster (Bristol City) Rarely flustered, Webster oozes class, sweeping up and striding out with possession. Stayed fit after being bogged down by injuries at Portsmouth and Ipswich.

Webster's doing ok, slowly adjusting to the pace of the Premier League. White looks to have a better touch so should find the step up in pace when being pressed easier to handle.

Where White will struggle is in the air, where he really isn't great.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Webster's doing ok, slowly adjusting to the pace of the Premier League. White looks to have a better touch so should find the step up in pace when being pressed easier to handle.

Whilst he is likely to improve next season, he really isn’t doing okay.

He is uncomfortable with any physical battle, positionally inept and lately uncomfortable in possession. His heading is comparable with White’s, so not that good.....

Other than that he certainly has good pace.

Next season will be an interesting scenario in terms of who partners Dunk or perhaps they both will.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Whilst he is likely to improve next season, he really isn’t doing okay.

He is uncomfortable with any physical battle, positionally inept and lately uncomfortable in possession. His heading is comparable with White’s, so not that good.....

Other than that he certainly has good pace.

Next season will be an interesting scenario in terms of who partners Dunk or perhaps they both will.....

A tad harsh on Webster, his stats don't seem so bad and other than a few teething problems he is doing better than some players who were crap in their first Premier League season. Nemanja Vidic was hopeless in his first.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Much as I love Lewis Dunk, it’s really a joke how he seems to get a free pass whilst Webster is slated after every game it seems, obviously at his point Dunk is a more complete and experienced player than Webster but I’ve seen Dunk also make a fair few mistakes this season but because he’s Dunk and he’s one of our own, he gets away with it.

This is also evident during games, Webster makes a mistake and the crowd groans and immediately begins to get on his back, Dunk does the same... no such reaction.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think Webster is going to develop into a good Premier League centre back, but he's currently behind Shane Duffy in terms of his defensive ability and I wouldn't have the Irish Colossus out of the team in favour of Webster. I do think that Webster needs to play games in order to adjust and adapt, I think he will be much stronger next season as I think our team will be, under Potter. The summer window will allow us to really shape the squad the way Potter wants it to be.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Still amazes me that all top level footballers aren’t put through endless hours of training to improve their non favoured foot. The brain can be rewired to an extent so it becomes a more natural attribute, so why not?

Nothing much changes does it.

I can recall our FA school of Excellence graduate, perfoming a 270 degree turn on his own goal line in front of the North Stand at the Goldstone, in order to make a left footed cleaance off the goal line. Ian Chapman if anyone is wondering, was neve fond of using his right foot.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It is a funny one, not being able to use both feet. I've always been as comfortably with my right as my left, although I would say I'm naturally left footed. The advantages are obvious, I'm far harder to play against because I can use both feet but at the same time I've never really developed any particularly strong attribute so that must be the trade off. If I ever find myself involved with coaching, I'll be making sure all players practice with their weaker foot because you never know when a chance is going to come along and it can make all the difference.

It is a funny one, not being able to use both feet. I've always been as comfortably with my right as my left, although I would say I'm naturally left footed. The advantages are obvious, I'm far harder to play against because I can use both feet but at the same time I've never really developed any particularly strong attribute so that must be the trade off. If I ever find myself involved with coaching, I'll be making sure all players practice with their weaker foot because you never know when a chance is going to come along and it can make all the difference.

Something must already be going on in training as I am sure I saw Solly hit a clean shot with his right foot on Saturday which the keeper saved !

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

Likewise - I'm equally inept with both feet.

stingray

Jan 23, 2018

not doing ok at all. nothing against the guy, but his performances are currently taking the club down.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
not doing ok at all. nothing against the guy, but his performances are currently taking the club down.

He's scored as many goals as Murray and Connolly combined but you think he is the root of our problems? Whatever.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
A tad harsh on Webster, his stats don't seem so bad and other than a few teething problems he is doing better than some players who were crap in their first Premier League season. Nemanja Vidic was hopeless in his first.

Stats are largely irrelevant and can be spun to whatever pundits want them to say, unfortunately it's the mistakes you make at this level, more than completed passes or anything like that. You can compare lots of different things, but he puts other players under pressure by his poor positioning (something that stats won't pick up). All IMO of course......

I think he is struggling that's not to say he wont improve, and I think next season he'll kick on.....

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Stats are largely irrelevant and can be spun to whatever pundits want them to say, unfortunately it's the mistakes you make at this level, more than completed passes or anything like that. You can compare lots of different things, but he puts other players under pressure by his poor positioning (something that stats won't pick up). All IMO of course......

I think he is struggling that's not to say he wont improve, and I think next season he'll kick on.....

Agreed. Call me old-fashioned, but I think a defender's main job is to keep the ball out of his team's net and impressive passing stats and the rest very much come second to that. That's why I can't understand how Guardiola and Southgate can keep on picking John Stones.

I think it was Jack Charlton who said: 'When someone tells me a centre-half is good on the ball, I think: "Oh Christ".'

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016

I think he has made a few mistakes, but nowhere near enough to warrant the level of abuse he gets.

If we had a dm and rb who actually offered him some protection he would be far more confident.

But like you say, next season he'll have more experience, and better cover.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think he has made a few mistakes, but nowhere near enough to warrant the level of abuse he gets.

If we had a dm and rb who actually offered him some protection he would be far more confident.

But like you say, next season he'll have more experience, and better cover.

But because he wanders so much a RB/DM won’t save him. Montoya actually holds shape very well as does Stephens, Dunk has come across from left to right more this season than any other, as far as I can see.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Much as I love Lewis Dunk, it’s really a joke how he seems to get a free pass whilst Webster is slated after every game it seems, obviously at his point Dunk is a more complete and experienced player than Webster but I’ve seen Dunk also make a fair few mistakes this season but because he’s Dunk and he’s one of our own, he gets away with it.

This is also evident during games, Webster makes a mistake and the crowd groans and immediately begins to get on his back, Dunk does the same... no such reaction.

I'll guess it's because for every bad mistake Lewis makes, he's made up for it and more with many examples of fabulous football. Nobody is faultless.... and i'm not having a pop at Webster, but Lewis is absolutely miles ahead of him on his performances this season and over the last, about 5 seasons

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports