Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ben duncan green councillor = tosspot

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It was a daft thing to say. But a bit too much hand-wringing on this thread.

It's political correctness gone mad when someone can't express an alternative view on the armed forces.

The trouble is his type love to get into people when they express views him and his kind don't like. If someone said something inflamatory about Gays him and his ilk would be up in arms calling for someones resignation if the words came from a rival politicians mouth.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
What a weasel. How can a 160 character tweet be taken out of context? Utterly contemptible.

Agree, a tweet can't be taken out of context because it is, by definition, it's own context and not part of a larger body of work. The man's an idiot.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

Brain dead knuckledraggers jumping on the bandwagon again.

I don't usually have much time for Fanshawe, but he's spot on with this letter.

BrmpZT1IAAAp34p.jpg:large

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Brain dead knuckledraggers jumping on the bandwagon again.

I don't usually have much time for Fanshawe, but he's spot on with this letter.

BrmpZT1IAAAp34p.jpg:large

The key line being "If you want to take issue with them then question the democratic control and accountability of those that send them to war."
Soldiers can't choose who they fight.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The key line being "If you want to take issue with them then question the democratic control and accountability of those that send them to war."

There are an increasing number of those that were in the armed forces at the turn of the millennium who question the choices leaders made for them to fight. And this disastrous episode will lead to more soldiers choosing not to fight certain wars.
Fanshawe would have a tad more credibility if he wasn't a New Labour-ite -- the very same clique that engaged in the sub-sixth form quality that is the Iraq War dossier which managed to find its way past the majority of our media.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

But you can choose whether or not to enlist. I don't see how anyone could sign up in the last 20 years and not think there's a chance they might be involved in morally dubious actions

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Unless you are much older than your posts on here would indicate, there isn't a single British soldier who has fought "to give [you] freedom".
There are still soldiers alive that fought in the second world war. And more recently our soldiers have fought for British civilians on the Falkland Islands. And you need soldiers in peace time to keep the peace.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
There are still soldiers alive that fought in the second world war. And more recently our soldiers have fought for British civilians on the Falkland Islands. And you need soldiers in peace time to keep the peace.

Falkland islanders were not British civilians.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here

All valid points (although the last one is debatable) but it doesn't change the fact that the modern soldier signs up voluntarily and gets paid to carry out the wishes of the government. If you really believe any of the conflicts they been involved in recently have anything to do with protecting your freedom then you are naive at best.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I seriously doubt if anybody joins the military to 'protect freedoms'..people join to learn a trade, have a job, travel, adventure...pretty sure preserving civilian freedoms is some way down the list...if even on the list.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I seriously doubt if anybody joins the military to 'protect freedoms'..people join to learn a trade, have a job, travel, adventure...pretty sure preserving civilian freedoms is some way down the list...if even on the list.
It will be on the list nevertheless DIP.... so can't be discarded.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Not so sure Somerset.. I dont recall anybody I served with in the RN who had joined for anything other than learning a trade and travel.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Although I was never a front line soldier, one of the reasons I left the services was the way Blair took us in to Iraq. I remember sitting listening to him lie to parliament about the threat Iraq posed to us, thinking, "nobody will believe this bullshit".

But I digress, the guy mentioned in this thread is clearly spending way too much time in his life trying to be "right on". He has no perspective of what sacrifices were taken, by the group of people he disparages, to create the society in which he can spout his bile. Feel sorry for his nipper.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What's the correct term, British territories civilians?

If you really believe any of the conflicts they been involved in recently have anything to do with protecting your freedom then you are naive at best.
Why do you think our soldiers have been sent to Afghanistan?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
What's the correct term, British territories civilians?

Not sure...some sort of dependant terriritory civilians..i believe they sent representatives to Downing Street the year before the war to ask for full citizenship, but they got the bums rush by all accounts...
....after the war, they pushed it through...

'Why do you think our soldiers have been sent to Afghanistan? '

USA asked/requested validation?

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Are you taking the Argentinian viewpoint that current 9th generation islanders are illegal settlers ? We might as well hand over Gibraltar to the Spanish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here