Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Being a casual

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
By the rules of the board yes as they do state very clearly moderating decisions are not to be discussed.

Asked because it wasn't documented. The rules don't say you can't question why a process hasn't been carried out.

However it is now documented in the right place by hitony. People can now make up their own minds on the relative fairness.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Asked because it wasn't documented. The rules don't say you can't question why a process hasn't been carried out.

However it is now documented in the right place by hitony. People can now make up their own minds on the relative fairness.

If length of bans are not mentioned, does that indicate they are both permanent bans?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I knew a fair few lads who called themselves casuals who never had any interest in football violence, or football at all for that matter. I was more into BHA and being on the fringes of the violence than the clothes myself, but I did have a wedge haircut and some of the cheaper clobber, never went full tracksuit but to my recollection only a very few did. It was not about acting hard, or bullying and intimidating ordinary football fans, it was about not being intimidated, getting into a scary situation and not losing your bottle, or at least not being the first to lose your bottle.
Never punched a scarfer in my life.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I knew a fair few lads who called themselves casuals who never had any interest in football violence, or football at all for that matter. I was more into BHA and being on the fringes of the violence than the clothes myself, but I did have a wedge haircut and some of the cheaper clobber, never went full tracksuit but to my recollection only a very few did. It was not about acting hard, or bullying and intimidating ordinary football fans, it was about not being intimidated, getting into a scary situation and not losing your bottle, or at least not being the first to lose your bottle.

I was in my late teens when the casual fashion was in full swing, I had a good mate that had all the gear but never heard him ever mention football or football violence.
In my school class photo from 81 a few of us are wearing Pringle, Lyle & Scott, Fred Perry and Slazenger jumpers, and fred perry t-shirts were popular, but some of the lads didn't go to football.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Having now read the whole thread fully, I'm glad both banned users had an opportunity to express themselves. There is something to be said for challenging the increasing romanticisation of the casuals scene, although I wouldn't particularly choose the antagonistic method of The Truth. Similarly, it was interesting to hear paul & shark showing his passion for the matter, trying to define the parameters of what he means by casual, and seeking to get beyond media stereotypes.

Also, thank you so much Buzzer, for posting that video... cracking dancing!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

following the Albion in the 80`s i have to agree with you on the relative outbreak (or lack) of "full tracksuit".
maybe i am remembering things wrong but i could count on one hand the amount of times i saw this at football,and i loved the scene and the clothes.Recent films would have you believe nearly everyone involved in the casual culture went full tracksuit,this is simply not the case no matter how colourful and snazzy the perpetrators of said act look.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
There is something to be said for challenging the increasing romanticisation of the casuals scene!

It seems that ex casuals will become the new bad guys of the next decade according to this. Glad I wasn't a Teddy Boy or Mod.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh, the irony of someone who claims to be a free-thinker trotting out the same tired old cliches garnered from nothing more than Thatcher governments, red top newspapers and Hollywood films.

Here's an interesting take on casual culture: The Turner Prize winning artist Mark Leckey did a brilliant mash-up video called "Fiorucci Made Me Hardcore" back in his student days where he traced Northern Soul to casual culture to the late 80s acid rave scene. He was inspired by the nihilism and pure escapism that all three scenes brought to their exponents. And of course the authorities didn't understand any of those 3 scenes - and what they don't understand they fear and what they fear they try to ban.

Jeremy Deller's Acid Brass is on a similar theme and from around the same time I think. It draws parallels with working brass bands and acid house via their working class roots. Interesting stuff and a very interesting guy.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It seems that ex casuals will become the new bad guys of the next decade according to this. Glad I wasn't a Teddy Boy or Mod.

Not really. Just a commitment to get beyond the hype and the mythology that tends to grow around subcultures, such as mods, teddies, old school hip-hop, casuals, punk, especially when it can be used to sell a product. Just because it isn't about accepting a narrative at face value, it doesn't necessarily mean it's about demonising anyone either.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Down in Div 4 in the 80's Casuals didn't give a **** who they had a pop at due to low away turn outs ,Scunthorpe being the worst for it LOAD OF ****S

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Down in Div 4 in the 80's Casuals didn't give a **** who they had a pop at due to low away turn outs ,Scunthorpe being the worst for it LOAD OF ****S
True, some places you went to you only had to be in the right age bracket and not look like a total retard to be considered fair game. In the 80's, I and a friend found myself at the mercy of around a dozen Millwall lads in a 1st class carriage, and they allowed us to keep our teeth and our pride intact.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I remember Scunthorpe coming to us in 91 ish in the cup when they were Div 4 and we were Div 2 (I think). They had a go behind the North Stand at anyone who moved. People in colours and kids were particularly fair game for them. They picked on my mate who was 17 yeas old, 5ft 5 and 8 stone. Our group who were a ragtag mixture of all types of fan and who certainly never looked for trouble (in fact avoided it in favour of a nice pint) chased them off, led by an enraged and openly gay NSC regular. They then tried it again down Fonthill Rd and got pretty short shrift before being seen off by our proper firm.

Scumbags to be sure but also the most hopeless and cowardly group of men it has ever been my misfortune to encounter after a football match.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I remember Scunthorpe coming to us in 91 ish in the cup when they were Div 4 and we were Div 2 (I think). They had a go behind the North Stand at anyone who moved. People in colours and kids were particularly fair game for them. They picked on my mate who was 17 yeas old, 5ft 5 and 8 stone. Our group who were a ragtag mixture of all types of fan and who certainly never looked for trouble (in fact avoided it in favour of a nice pint) chased them off, led by an enraged and openly gay NSC regular. They then tried it again down Fonthill Rd and got pretty short shrift before being seen off by our proper firm.

Scumbags to be sure but also the most hopeless and cowardly group of men it has ever been my misfortune to encounter after a football match.

Sounds like there is more than 1 c**t in Scunthorpe. :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here