Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Being a casual

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Liverpool were way ahead for sure. But there were plenty of well dressed lads by 81. I started getting into Pringles, Fred Perry and Jumbo cords in my last year at school 79. It must've been Worthing who were behind :blush::smile:

Could well have been. I remember getting legged all round the Guildbourne centre by a group of skinheads for being a "queer"

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Cardigans??? FICTION. ???

Mate of mine, really not me honestly, bought himself a pastel pink Lacoste cardigan costing about 2 weeks wages. Got a cigarette burn in it on about the third wearing!

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Unlike most I was in Liverpool in 1979 and through the eighties.

I was caught up in the scally thing from very early with Forrest hills, Sambas and Lois being the first things that popped up.

You could get a lot of stuff on knock off when Liverpool returned from their European sojourns but it didn't take long for the high street and independents to catch up.

I remember coming to Worthing to see my Dad in the holidays and sticking out like a sore thumb from the average Sussex teen of 1981/2 there were still a lot of skins and mods dotted around then but not many scallies/ casuals that I recall.

Come 1984 Brighton was catching up in a big way but Liverpool were the originals.
I've always thought it a fallacy that Liverpool were the first casuals , saw plenty in Londonin the late seventies , plenty of lLondon fans went abroad with England , saying that ,I love Liverpooland scousers in general, I've got scouse mates and go up there quite often, they are self confident and don't have that chip on their shoulder northern inferiority complex.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Haha! Caught drinking a shandy in the Tirola Bar upstairs?

My stepmum worked in there! It's likely I had been in prior to said legging. I was wearing a ski jumper skin tight Lois jeans (frayed at the bottom obvs) and gold forest hills. Can't see what their problem was.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I've always thought it a fallacy that Liverpool were the first casuals , saw plenty in Londonin the late seventies , plenty of lLondon fans went abroad with England , saying that ,I love Liverpooland scousers in general, I've got scouse mates and go up there quite often, they are self confident and don't have that chip on their shoulder northern inferiority complex.

The boys from the Mersey by Nicholas Allt is a good book on the early casuals, some funny stories of travelling to football and not paying to travel and getting through the turnstiles for free.

You are right about scousers, I know some that live round here and they always make me laugh.
Seeing the posts from Buzzer and Leighgull mentioning The Tirola Bar in Worthing reminds me of going there with a good Scouse lad in the mid 80s, this lad was good value for money and had me in fits everytime we went drinking, he insisted we had a bottle of Thunderbird wine each on the way to Worthing.:whisky:

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
The boys from the Mersey by Nicholas Allt is a good book on the early casuals, some funny stories of travelling to football and not paying to travel and getting through the turnstiles for free.

You are right about scousers, I know some that live round here and they always make me laugh.
Seeing the posts from Buzzer and Leighgull mentioning The Tirola Bar in Worthing reminds me of going there with a good Scouse lad in the mid 80s, this lad was good value for money and had me in fits everytime we went drinking, he insisted we had a bottle of Thunderbird wine each on the way to Worthing.:whisky:

Sounds like we were contemporaries...I had a scouse accent in those days (did all of my schooldays up there) although I am Brighton born.

Did you ever get to Jonseys Wine Bar next to the Guildbourne? Although that was probably 85 or 86? There were a fair few scouse lads in there...me being one of them...who used to go to the Albion games. That was a casuals hangout for sure.

I know of two other NSCers with strong ties to Merseyside. Perhaps we should have a Seagulls over Liverpool branch.

The Tiroler was a mad joint for sure. An alpine themed pub in a shopping centre with barmaids dressed as Austrian milkmaids...they also (bizarrely) the ponytail of the bird who Kirk Douglas chopped off by throwing an axe at her in "the Vikings" on the Wall.

Mad.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Sounds like we were contemporaries...I had a scouse accent in those days (did all of my schooldays up there) although I am Brighton born.

Did you ever get to Jonseys Wine Bar next to the Guildbourne? Although that was probably 85 or 86? There were a fair few scouse lads in there...me being one of them...who used to go to the Albion games. That was a casuals hangout for sure.

I know of two other NSCers with strong ties to Merseyside. Perhaps we should have a Seagulls over Liverpool branch.

The Tiroler was a mad joint for sure. An alpine themed pub in a shopping centre with barmaids dressed as Austrian milkmaids...they also (bizarrely) the ponytail of the bird who Kirk Douglas chopped off by throwing an axe at her in "the Vikings" on the Wall.

Mad.

I did go to a wine bar place in Worthing at the time with the Scouse lad, I'm sure it was downstairs from the Tiroler.
The lad I used to drink with lived in Lancing, he supported Everton and didn't watch the Albion, his nickname was Wack and his first name Simon, but everyone called him Wack.

I've just remembered some small club we went to opposite Worthing Pier, it was downstairs and had a fishpond:shrug: the pond had a hand written sign saying " do not throw fag butts in".
Wack said we had to sign into this club and when I looked at his signature, he had just written " Psycho".

I didn't know many others from Worthing as I'm from Brighton and was working with Wack at the time in Lancing.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
When I think of some of the clobber we used to wear to go to football, cringeworthy. Late 70's it was actually donkey jackets, I repeat, donkey jackets. Jesus wept. They were closely followed by green bomber jackets.
At least in the 80's we smartened up a bit. Pringle, Slazenger, Farah, Kappa, Lois cords, Puma or Adidas trainers, or a pair of Kickers, with the friggin label of course. I seem to recall I had a fair few check shirts at one stage. Chevignon rings a bell. As for the barnets, mullet-tastic!
I loved a bit of clobber me, still do, but I wouldn't say I was a casual as such. I just loved my football, my gear, a few beers, & I must admit the odd tear up; (especially in the Croydon area).
I didn't really know many of the faces, but it's funny how all these years later I see someone from those days & you get a nod & an "alright".
Some great times.
Never took it or myself too seriously though. Part of growing up innit!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
When I think of some of the clobber we used to wear to go to football, cringeworthy. Late 70's it was actually donkey jackets, I repeat, donkey jackets. Jesus wept. They were closely followed by green bomber jackets.
At least in the 80's we smartened up a bit. Pringle, Slazenger, Farah, Kappa, Lois cords, Puma or Adidas trainers, or a pair of Kickers, with the friggin label of course. I seem to recall I had a fair few check shirts at one stage. Chevignon rings a bell. As for the barnets, mullet-tastic!
I loved a bit of clobber me, still do, but I wouldn't say I was a casual as such. I just loved my football, my gear, a few beers, & I must admit the odd tear up; (especially in the Croydon area).
I didn't really know many of the faces, but it's funny how all these years later I see someone from those days & you get a nod & an "alright".
Some great times.
Never took it or myself too seriously though. Part of growing up innit!

I remember Donkey jackets about 1977/8, I didn't have one myself but I asked my dad to get me one, I can hear his reply now in his West Country accent " you can't get a donkey jacket in a kids size, you silly bugger"
I think the donkey jacket look included wearing army surplus trousers and boots.

Do you remember seeing anyone wearing Butchers coats to football? Early to mid 70s I think, I can't remember seeing them at the Goldstone but remember Pompey fans wearing them at Fratton park.

Feb 14, 2010
Casuals were all shit track suit tops, crap trainers, terrible jumpers and terrible hair do's.. skinheads, suedeheads and mods now that was style with quality music..

Jan 30, 2008
i remember donkey jackets about 1977/8, i didn't have one myself but i asked my dad to get me one, i can hear his reply now in his west country accent " you can't get a donkey jacket in a kids size, you silly bugger"
i think the donkey jacket look included wearing army surplus trousers and boots.

Do you remember seeing anyone wearing butchers coats to football? Early to mid 70s i think, i can't remember seeing them at the goldstone but remember pompey fans wearing them at fratton park.
i had a donkey jacket, wore it to Place's like HULL AND BOLTON :ohmy:
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here