Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Beer Flights

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Anyone know of any pubs in Brighton that do beer flights?
Got family over from Canada where brew pubs doing flights is pretty common place but not something you see much over here. Does the great wisdom of NSC know of any decent places that do them?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Good new option would be the rook which is where the Brighton beer dispensary used to be. Also Brick on nearby Preston street has a good craft beer selection centred more towards Lager.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Here you go - burger, fries and beer flight for £18 Seems decent enough value these days:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
BrewDog , Unbarred, perhaps Hole in the Wall?

Essentially you just want any pub that will serve 1/3rds

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
It's just a taster of several beers. Usually served on a poncy wooden board.
Basically yes, so as @Springal says pretty much somewhere that sells thirds so you can try different beers.
Have never even heard of Unbarred before and for some reason Brewdog didn't cross my mind.
Anywho, cheers all.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's just a taster of several beers. Usually served on a poncy wooden board.
Thanks. Never seen one myself, but I am more of a Wetherspoons guy. I was also thrown by the reference by the OP to having people over from Canada. For no reason I thought it was something to do with aviation, perhaps sending a crate of beer abroad!

EDIT: And just to demonstrate my complete ignorance I didn't realise you could now buy beer by the third of a pint! 😲

I hope this thread is proving educational for some others, and it's not just me! :lolol:

Last edited:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Basically yes, so as @Springal says pretty much somewhere that sells thirds so you can try different beers.
Have never even heard of Unbarred before and for some reason Brewdog didn't cross my mind.
Anywho, cheers all.
Unbarred is good, but if you go early in the day take a coat. You are basically drinking in a tin shed and it take a while to warm up. Although that said it'll probably be subtropical to Canadians.

Pretty sure the North Laine Brewhouse (what was the Gloucester) will fit your bill as well.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Thanks. Never seen one myself, but I am more of a Wetherspoons guy. I was also thrown by the reference by the OP to having people over from Canada. For no reason I thought it was something to do with aviation, perhaps sending a crate of beer abroad!

EDIT: And just to demonstrate my complete ignorance I didn't realise you could now buy beer by the third of a pint! 😲

I hope this thread is proving educational for some others, and it's not just me! :lolol:
'spoons do thirds during their beer festival

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Slightly off-topic (but related), the Craft Beer Co pub (used to be the Princess Victoria on the corner of Regents Hill & Upper North St) is up for sale. https://www.brightonandhovenews.org...craft-beer-pub-in-brighton-for-sale-for-725k/

If it was ever discussed on here, I missed it, but it was closed a year ago with a will they/won't they re-open saga due to a serious case of fraud by one of the staff.

I bloody loved it in there as Craft (Jaipur on keg was always good), but had many a top night in there as the PV too. (I think it was called The Florist for a while in between IIRC).

Hopefully it'll have a new life again soon. Wasn't there a thread with someone looking for a pub recently?

EDIT: Found it! @The Fits https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/do-you-know-these-brighton-pubs.405261/

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I didn't know that (either). In fact I didn't know they were hipster enough to do beer festivals. ('Is there anything he does know?' murmurs NSC to itself). I obviously don't go out enough!
Not really sure beer festivals generally can be considered "hipster". I think the stereotypical view is the polar opposite.....overweight blokes, wearing ill fitting t-shirts with horrendous beards drinking dull brown beer. That obviously isn't the case any more but those folk do still exist and can be found aplenty at CAMRA gigs.

If it makes you feel any better though, I had no idea spoons did 3rds but it needs to be a special beer for me to drink cask beer in their establishments.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What is a 'Beer Flight'? I appreciate I could probably google it, but I can't be the only person whose never heard of it. (Can I?)

I think I was on one of those for the Athens away game.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Here you go - burger, fries and beer flight for £18 Seems decent enough value these days:

£18 is certainly value when compared to the usual price of £37....for a burger, chips and a pint and a third of beer. :oops:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here