Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beer And Bingo tax cuts

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
And do you honestly think that those sleeping rough are all Brighton citizens and not from other parts of the country...Liverpool,Manchester,Newcastle,London...or indeed from other countries..if they are all Brighton citizens they have an amazing capacity to pick up accents from around the world.
PS Love the last word of your post but you no need to sign your post.

What on earth are you talking about? They're not from Brighton so they somehow don't count as homeless and poor?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He was borrowing when the times were good, I would say that's the point.

If you remain to borrow when you are maximising tax collection what the hell happens when there's a downturn? Well we soon found that out!

Labour's idea of making services better like the nhs or schools is to throw money at the situation. This is effectively throwing money at a black hole made worse by the fact it's borrowed.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The coalition borrowed £91.5 billion in 2013. So your point is?

the point is to refute your claim Labour only borrowed in responce to wider economic situation. they were borrowing £36bn 2007, would have borrowed more 2008 and continued to do so irrespective of the events of 2008. its lost in history now but people at the time were already asking, when is this going to be paid back? whats happened to the economic cycle? there was no projection of returning to a surplus. half the current deficit is a legacy of Brown's spending plans and policies.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield

If you remain to borrow when you are maximising tax collection what the hell happens when there's a downturn? Well we soon found that out!

Labour's idea of making services better like the nhs or schools is to throw money at the situation. This is effectively throwing money at a black hole made worse by the fact it's borrowed.

All governments borrow. Borrowing when times are good is the sensible time to borrow. By your logic it was wrong of Labour to borrow a little when times were good, but it's OK for George Osborne to borrow massively when times are bad. Hmm.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
the point is to refute your claim Labour only borrowed in responce to wider economic situation. they were borrowing £36bn 2007, would have borrowed more 2008 and continued to do so irrespective of the events of 2008. its lost in history now but people at the time were already asking, when is this going to be paid back? whats happened to the economic cycle? there was no projection of returning to a surplus. half the current deficit is a legacy of Brown's spending plans and policies.

And borrowing's gone down under the coalition, has it?

My chum, a brewer, was telling me last night that the main effect of the 1p tax change on beer will be to create a lot of unproductive work for the brewery's accountant, with no impact on the retail price of a pint of Best.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
My chum, a brewer, was telling me last night that the main effect of the 1p tax change on beer will be to create a lot of unproductive work for the brewery's accountant, with no impact on the retail price of a pint of Best.

I presume they think that as well as liking beer and bingo, working people can't do sums.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
All governments borrow. Borrowing when times are good is the sensible time to borrow. By your logic it was wrong of Labour to borrow a little when times were good, but it's OK for George Osborne to borrow massively when times are bad. Hmm.

:nono: no, you save when times are good so can afford to spend when its bad. Brown could have turned the public finances positive, but decided to spend, and spend more than he had coming in even though things were good. what do you think happens when the inevitable happens?

And borrowing's gone down under the coalition, has it?

nice diversion, but er, yes they have. remember those cuts everyone is talking about?

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
:nono: no, you save when times are good so can afford to spend when its bad. Brown could have turned the public finances positive, but decided to spend, and spend more than he had coming in even though things were good. what do you think happens when the inevitable happens?

nice diversion, but er, yes they have. remember those cuts everyone is talking about?

Doh. So you don't know the difference between the public sector debt and the budget deficit either. Borrowing and debt has gone UP under the coalition, and is not forecast to fall until 2016/17. Come back when you actually know what you're talking about.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Doh. So you don't know the difference between the public sector debt and the budget deficit either. Borrowing and debt has gone UP under the coalition, and is not forecast to fall until 2016/17. Come back when you actually know what you're talking about.

the deficit (borrowing if you must) has been reduced in every year since 2010. im well aware the debt continues to rise, as it will do until the deficit is 0.

nice try to keep shifting away from your earlier false claim.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
the deficit (borrowing if you must) has been reduced in every year since 2010. nice try to keep shifting away from your earlier false claim.

We were talking about the debt. Not the budget deficit. Two different things. Nice try though.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
We were talking about the debt. Not the budget deficit. Two different things. Nice try though.

no, you were talking about borrowing, which occurs to cover the deficit in the budget. you even mention £91bn which is the deficit. so try harder to remember your own argument.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
I voted for her. No one person is to blame. Like I said, blame is part of the problem. Instead of fixing things, each government "blames" the previous one for all our problems. Then does the exact same things.

I agree whole heartedly with this.
I was the other side though. My family have always been labour voters and I voted Blair in. After the initial honeymoon period it soon went disastrously wrong
I now can't stand any political party and hold them all with contempt.
There are some good politicians who look after their constituents but most are money grabbing barstewards who grease their way in politics to get a cabinet or shadow cabinet role.
I totally respect Whatever political affiliation you are but i don't understand when people are so partisan over the party they vote for they can't seen when things are wrong or out of touch. And Grant Schapps' tweet was ridiculously out of touch

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
I agree whole heartedly with this.
I was the other side though. My family have always been labour voters and I voted Blair in. After the initial honeymoon period it soon went disastrously wrong
I now can't stand any political party and hold them all with contempt.
There are some good politicians who look after their constituents but most are money grabbing barstewards who grease their way in politics to get a cabinet or shadow cabinet role.
I totally respect Whatever political affiliation you are but i don't understand when people are so partisan over the party they vote for they can't seen when things are wrong or out of touch. And Grant Schapps' tweet was ridiculously out of touch

Actually although I voted for Thatcher in 1983 or whenever it was, my Dad talked me into it. I soon realised the error of my ways and haven't voted Tory since. My story is otherwise the same as yours.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
no, you were talking about borrowing, which occurs to cover the deficit in the budget. you even mention £91bn which is the deficit. so try harder to remember your own argument.

Aarghh! Yes. When I said "we" I was referring to "Seagulls on the wing" claiming that the national debt has fallen, which you agree it hasn't. In my defence, even David Cameron apparently doesn't know the difference between the budget deficit and the national debt. I do, I just got confused for a moment!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here