Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beckham left out of the Olympic squad.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Genuinly GUTTED for him.

The olympics is DIFFERENT to The Euros or World Cup.

Yes, you want to WIN thie thing, but there was certainly room to fit Beckham in. It wouldn't just be a 'token' place. He is still a quality player. Its not like taking David Healy to represent NI.

Personally I always felt the 3 over aged places should be to take 3 'heroes' or world class players. ie If Bale was over 23 he would have taken one.

Giggs, Beckham and Scholes would have been LOVELY.

There has to be that balance between quality and sentimentality. Again, this is a CELEBRATION. Becks would have represented British sport but also still had the quality to not show up himself as past it.

ElkieB

Jun 24, 2008
Peacehaven
Think Brazil, Agentina & Portugal take it seriously and have all done well. Still as OBVIOUSLY all the British national teams are out performing these backwater countrys in the more serious competitions we shoud absolutely ignore a "Mickey Mouse" competition where we might give some younger players an opportunity to play in tournament football.

I for one would have included Beckham for the example he sets, especially in comparrison to that apology for a man Bellamy.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
what i really dont understand is that Micah Richards is picked, who apparently didnt make himself available for the England squad. ???

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
WHO CARES. Olympic football is a Mickey Mouse competition, and the media's years-long battle to try and build it into something to sell some papers (I swear it must have been about 6 years ago that Alex Ferguson was supposed to be managing a Team GB) seems to have actually worked. It's a youth cup, just ignore it, don't be interested in whether Beckham is there or not because otherwise we'll have to listen to a load of old shit about it forever.

Oct 25, 2003
the olympics IS taken seriously by other footballing nations, it just isn't really recognised here as we never enter a team

the likes of argentina and brazil take is VERY seriously and use it as a valuable tool for giving their younger players tournament experience

the likes of ronaldinho, pato, marcelo, thiago silva, ramires, lavezzi, riquelme, di maria, mascherano, MESSI, aguero, kalou, gervinho, honda, kagawa, kompany, abate, marchisio, montolivo, nocerino, chiellini, de rossi, pirlo, saviola, coloccini, tevez, cahill, cristiano ronaldo have all played in the past TWO olympic tournaments

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I agree that football at the Olympics to utterly ridiculous and not to be taken seriously. And for this very reason it would have been a perfect stage for Beckham to add a little glamour to the games. Just for all the work he's put in as an ambassador, I find it staggering he's not been given a spot in the squad. I'm sure many who have bought tickets for GB games will be disappointed.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Do you really believe that Beckham is worthy of a place? He won't last 90 minutes for a start!

Plays 90 minutes for LA Galaxy. I cannot imagine this tournament to be any more challenging that the US League. Have you seen Bellamy play recently? He is blowing out his ass after 30 minutes. Hardly the fittest player, and Giggs... Not a spring chicken either.

Since joining LA Galaxy he has played 98 games, scoring 13 and assisting 43

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 18477

I agree that football at the Olympics to utterly ridiculous and not to be taken seriously. And for this very reason it would have been a perfect stage for Beckham to add a little glamour to the games. Just for all the work he's put in as an ambassador, I find it staggering he's not been given a spot in the squad. I'm sure many who have bought tickets for GB games will be disappointed.

yep! gutted for the man. he's a great role model. beckham is in my top 5 favourite footballers of all time. absolute legend and always showed 100% effort whenever he played. AND STILL, the best crosser of a ball ever!

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
Plays 90 minutes for LA Galaxy. I cannot imagine this tournament to be any more challenging that the US League. Have you seen Bellamy play recently? He is blowing out his ass after 30 minutes. Hardly the fittest player, and Giggs... Not a spring chicken either.

Since joining LA Galaxy he has played 98 games, scoring 13 and assisting 43

Don't agree with any of those selections tbh. I certainly won't be watching any of it.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Don't agree with any of those selections tbh. I certainly won't be watching any of it.

Unfortunately you cannot select any players that played in the Euro's. Who would be a better choice?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not quite, he refused to be picked in the list of stand-by players after being left out of the initial 23

same thing. you are available for your country or not. he would easily have been picked ahead of Kelly when Cahill withdrew.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
some of the posts on this thread are ridiculous. Look at the players who have played in the Olympics and it's quite clear that
1. It is taken seriously by a number of footballing nations
2. It is a fantastic opportunity for younger players to get tournament experience and build squad morale, invaluable for future qualifiers and tournaments
3. We can use the occasion to try and actually play a decent style of football.

The best teams in the world have grown up together - look at Germany and Spain. Perhaps we need to start picking players for u20, u21 and in this case u23 tournaments based on their technique, footballing ability, potential and teamwork, rather than athleticism, size and transfer fee...

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I take it Will I Am is in the squad.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Three over 23 players are Ryan Giggs, Craig Bellamy and Micah Richards.

It's an 18 man squad, you're allowed three players over 23. I would have thought Beckham would have been a better choice than Bellamy. I guess Pearce doesn't agree.[/QUOTE]

What do you expect from him and some people even suggested the muppet should be Englands next manager. By including Bellamy and Giggs he is just bowing to the Welsh FA and to be seen to be fair. There are a lot better players in England than those, both under and over 23..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here