Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beckham left out of the Olympic squad.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
What are the general opinions of the Olympics and the football? For me, I don't really take Olympic football to be all that important, and I'm not really one to watch much. But, given just how much work this guy has put into trying to get us the World Cup, and the Olympic bidding I'm amazed he wasn't given a token place at the Olympics to represent GB.

Thoughts?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
He shouldn't have been in the provisional squad if he's now suddenly deemed "not good enough". He's not going to have lost any ability in the last month or so. Very strange

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Good, you may not take the Olympics seriously but it's not some Disneyesque thing for Beckham to get his last big footballing fix. Seb Coe hasn't got a wild card in the 1500 metres which I guess he probably "deserves" as well

Cannot believe any right minded person would think it OK that an over the hill legend should be playing at the expense of a current footballer, irrespective of what he may or may not have done in the bid for the Olympics.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
He shouldn't have been in the provisional squad if he's now suddenly deemed "not good enough". He's not going to have lost any ability in the last month or so. Very strange
Weren't there about 80 players in that?

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Three over 23 players are Ryan Giggs, Craig Bellamy and Micah Richards.

It's an 18 man squad, you're allowed three players over 23. I would have thought Beckham would have been a better choice than Bellamy. I guess Pearce doesn't agree.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Good, you may not take the Olympics seriously but it's not some Disneyesque thing for Beckham to get his last big footballing fix. Seb Coe hasn't got a wild card in the 1500 metres which I guess he probably "deserves" as well

Cannot believe any right minded person would think it OK that an over the hill legend should be playing at the expense of a current footballer, irrespective of what he may or may not have done in the bid for the Olympics.

Beckham is still a current footballer, however I agree he should not have an automatic place.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Gutted for him, pretty sure he would of shown great pride in representing Great Britain. more so than Micah Richards without a doubt.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Good.

The Beckham circus has f***ed up enough major tournaments for England, let's not ruin GBs only appearance.

If the Olympics is about amateurism, having u23s is about as close as you can get in football terms.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012

He is a current footballer, plays for LA Galaxy. And out of the provisional squad, I thought he had a good chance, certainly when up against that foul mouthed lout Bellamy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here