Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beavers Nest Cafe - Coombe Rd c1980

My youngest son has been to a few games, his mate and dad go and he goes with them, he talks more about the hot dogs than the match! :smile:

Pah, we don't watch the match, we talk about the weather and what happened on Emmerdale Farm, I then do a circuit of the ground saying hello to whoever I know, sing a couple of songs then make sure I'm in the bar and out of site of the pitch at least 30 seconds before a goal goes in

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Anyone remember this 'den of iniquity' (sp?) ? Pool tables, old lags, underage drinking/gambling/smoking. Pinball, space invaders, asteroids etc. the guvnor Fred Beaver was quite handy in his day and so were his sons (although they were always friendly to us young ins, I was only about 13) Never heard of the family or the place since. always think of it when I hear Breaking Down The Walls Of Heartache (B side to Geno) as it was the only song on the juke box worth 10p
Good tune.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
**** off you dry lunch, I'm only having a Bellamy moment, just because you were more interested in what was up girls skirts than what Fusey scored on Space Invaders doesn't make you a better person! Anyhoo, you having a good hol? There's a match next weds v met plod.

Depends how much work I have on when I get back on Monday. Should be there

Did he follow you to Peacehaven? :)

Did you live near Coombe Road then?

If you really want chapter an verse of my love in with The Modfather, it began in 1979 Although he was more for kickin a ball around the grounds of Bevendean Hospital than feeding every 10 p he laid hands on into the slot machines of Beavers Nest, The Happy Grill (and Kebab House) and The Newmarket Diner (there's another thread) he was in Coombe rd before me but I've been in BN10 much longer, he's my sons Godfather and I was his best man, In 35 years the closest we've come to a row is me telling him to **** off on this thread!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
If you really want chapter an verse of my love in with The Modfather, it began in 1979 Although he was more for kickin a ball around the grounds of Bevendean Hospital than feeding every 10 p he laid hands on into the slot machines of Beavers Nest, The Happy Grill (and Kebab House) and The Newmarket Diner (there's another thread) he was in Coombe rd before me but I've been in BN10 much longer, he's my sons Godfather and I was his best man, In 35 years the closest we've come to a row is me telling him to **** off on this thread!

Sounds like a top bloke to me.

Doc I must have met you as reading this post has brought up 2 more places from my past, I used to play football all the time in Bevendean Hospital grounds, unless the groundsman was having a bad day and he would chase us out.

I went in The Newmarket Diner, or Dinner as I used to call it, we had Beavers Cafe and The Newmarket pub in the last 2 days.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I grew up in Milner Rd but only have a very hazy memory of beaver's cafe? Whereabouts exactly was in in coombe rd?

Also remember 'greeny' when getting chased off the hospital grounds. He was a miserable sod

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Oh he is, like I said get yer arse up to an evening match and have a beer, we'll reminisce......on second thoughts maybe not....you could turn out to be Martin Miller

Oh, FFS I never want to see that Fulham supporting ( I won't swear) again, he lived opposite a good friend of mine and used to terrorise our lot, he is older than me 3-4 years I think.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I grew up in Milner Rd but only have a very hazy memory of beaver's cafe? Whereabouts exactly was in in coombe rd?

Also remember 'greeny' when getting chased off the hospital grounds. He was a miserable sod

Do you remember the truck thing he used to drive, I've forgotten what we used to call it.

Do you remember the morgue?

Godstar

Jan 18, 2012
Sodom..or is it Gomorrah!
Sorry to jump in on this thread, but Beavers brings back memories for me too. Got my (maybe even the cafe's) highest score on Phoenix. If my memory serves me right it used to be a bit of a hangout for the C.B radio kids as well when it was the rage.
Used to be a bit sweet on a girl in Milner Road so kicked my heels around that area quite a lot!

Edit: just seen the quote about the morgue (Bevendean Hospital, i assume)- & yes i remember it, & if i ever meet you i've got a funny story about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here